PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Blower motor / interior fan issue

opethmike
06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Had some rather strange behavior with my blower motor on today's drive. Sometimes the motor would blow nice and strong, sometimes it would blow weak like it was on a low setting, and sometimes it would cut-out and not blow at all.

Circuit breaker?

David T
06-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Had some rather strange behavior with my blower motor on today's drive. Sometimes the motor would blow nice and strong, sometimes it would blow weak like it was on a low setting, and sometimes it would cut-out and not blow at all.

Circuit breaker?

Circuit breaker and/or the bearings in the fan are shot and you need a new motor. Do you have the uprated circuit breakers?

DMCMW Dave
06-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Circuit breaker and/or the bearings in the fan are shot and you need a new motor. Do you have the uprated circuit breakers?

If it was on something other than "max" you could also have a blower resistor on the way out.

opethmike
06-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Motor is new, just a few weeks old. The circuit breakers, relays, and fuses were updated in 2004, prior to my ownership.

Dave, this was all happening on max; which is the only setting I ever use. So leaning toward the circuit breaker then?

DMCMW Dave
06-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Motor is new, just a few weeks old. The circuit breakers, relays, and fuses were updated in 2004, prior to my ownership.

Dave, this was all happening on max; which is the only setting I ever use. So leaning toward the circuit breaker then?

Or something you never hear about- check your grounds.

Also all those upgrades are now 10 years old. Parts do wear out!

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Was the blower on speed 4? Just running MAX AC does not affect the blower speed.

dmc
06-22-2014, 06:53 AM

Circuit breaker?

Could just be the evaporator icing up. Was the humidity high.

opethmike
06-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Was the blower on speed 4? Just running MAX AC does not affect the blower speed.

Yes, speed 4, sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Dave S - where is the grounding point for the blower motor? The ground cluster on/near the radio bracket?

Rich
06-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Try this:
LINK: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1301-Ground-Location-List (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1301-Ground-Location-List)

Be sure to open the images in that post. They have details that match to the diagram.

....where is the grounding point for the blower motor? The ground cluster on/near the radio bracket?

opethmike
06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Folks,

I fixed this issue today. Turned out to be the circuit breaker. I put a new one in, and went for a 45 minute drive without any further blower motor issues.

Thanks all!