PDA

View Full Version : Engine I think the engine peed itself

sapphirexae
07-03-2014, 02:17 PM
I opened the engine compartment this morning to install a Coil Cover that I custom finished (looks great btw, very happy) and noticed fluid splattered on the left side of the engine bay. I checked the coolant and all is fine. It doesn't seem to have a smell to it and I am a bit perplexed. I'm not super mechanical so a quick diagnosis isn't really in the cards. Have any of you folks come across this type of thing in this area? Here is a quick pic, please excuse the filthy engine bay (how embarrassing)!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/delsol4me/1_zps80af4497.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/delsol4me/media/1_zps80af4497.jpg.html)

natesky
07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Might try looking at the crank pulley for signs of leakage / possibly from above (ie. maybe dribbling down from the engine valley). Could be oil escaping from the valley or a crank seal leaking and the pulley propelling the oil onto the side of the engine bay.

-Nathan

Silverbullet
07-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I opened the engine compartment this morning to install a Coil Cover that I custom finished (looks great btw, very happy) and noticed fluid splattered on the left side of the engine bay. I checked the coolant and all is fine. It doesn't seem to have a smell to it and I am a bit perplexed. I'm not super mechanical so a quick diagnosis isn't really in the cards. Have any of you folks come across this type of thing in this area? Here is a quick pic, please excuse the filthy engine bay (how embarrassing)!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/delsol4me/1_zps80af4497.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/delsol4me/media/1_zps80af4497.jpg.html)

If you want a guess... Look at the bottom of the water pump to see if it looks wet.... Looks like it hit the belt and splattered. It is not enough to measure a loss in the tank...

Craig

sapphirexae
07-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Thank you Nathan, I'll try looking there. Appreciate the help!!

Hi Craig, thanks for the suggestion! My gut feeling (which is worth about $.01) told me water pump. Thanks for the feedback!!

NightFlyer
07-03-2014, 03:43 PM
A/C compressor shaft/bearing seal may be failing and slinging mineral/ester oil as the pulley turns...

djdogbone
07-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeah, could be compressor oil

sapphirexae
07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks gents, keep 'em coming!

Jonathan
07-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks gents, keep 'em coming!

Could be transmission fluid?

Just kidding Dusty :)

I would guess coolant. And from where it sprayed, maybe that bleed nipple under the deice shield is the source?

sapphirexae
07-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Could be transmission fluid?

Just kidding Dusty :)

Funny you mention that Jonathan!! In my first post in this thread I almost put "I sure hope its not my MANUAL TRANSMISSION fluid".

Silverbullet
07-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Does it easily wash off with water?

Craig

sapphirexae
07-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I haven't tried. I just saw it and photographed it.

Jonathan
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Funny you mention that Jonathan!! In my first post in this thread I almost put "I sure hope its not my MANUAL TRANSMISSION fluid".

Haha... seriously though... have a look at that bleed nipple somewhat hidden under the drivers side of the deice shield. If it was coming out of it for some reason it would more or less explain the spray pattern you're seeing. It's also the nipple one would hook up an auto bleeder kit to if you were so inclined. Could be a loose clamp or something simple.

David T
07-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Haha... seriously though... have a look at that bleed nipple somewhat hidden under the drivers side of the deice shield. If it was coming out of it for some reason it would more or less explain the spray pattern you're seeing. It's also the nipple one would hook up an auto bleeder kit to if you were so inclined. Could be a loose clamp or something simple.

First place to check is the weep hole on the underside neck of the water pump. Could also be the bleeder nipple or a leaky thermostat gasket. Check the underside of the hose on the left side. If the hose lays too low the vee belt can cut into it.