PDA

View Full Version : Engine Dip stick question (no kidding)

Spittybug
07-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm fitting my new headers on and it's a PITA with the dipstick tube in the way. Does it just lift out? Is it simply an o-ring or something down in the pan? I've looked at the DMCH site and I can't see any form of attachment other than the bracket at the top. It spins in the hole, I know that.

I've also got 1 stud that has decided he doesn't want to come out. Of course it is the top one right behind the alternator. I'm debating the merits of going after it with the stud extractor (after removing alternator) or just leaving him since his threads are still OK. Worse case would be to snap him since I need that hole for mounting the new headers. There is just something about replacing 11/12 studs that makes the OCD side of me cringe a little.

How close to the frame do you think is too close for the headers? The mating flange will be within an inch. I'm going to fab or buy a replacement heat shield for above the starter, but I'm thinking too that it would make good sense to wrap the headers in the exhaust wrap stuff. I don't see any harm since I can do it before installation and it should just help extend the life of everything.

FYI, I'm going with Bill's spec .01 exhaust design. Flexible SS piping from the front-of-car facing header outlets, down and outside of the engine cradle to a cat and muffler on each side, hanging from the frame extensions. SS of course. 2" diameter all the way on both sides. Should be a MUCH less restrictive system and really frees space in the engine cradle. It's taken 2 days to remove the old system, but quite uncharacteristically, no blood. Messy. Thank God for my lift and epoxied floor that wipes clean with Simple Orange from the $1 store. I figured I'd better make it easier to exhaust if I'm going to pump more air in with the supercharger.....

1batt4u
07-04-2014, 01:09 AM
As far as I know it comes right off after you unbolt it on top. No o-rings on bottom.

Josh
07-04-2014, 01:37 AM
x2 Just unbolt it from the head and yank it out.

Spittybug
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
It took some coaxing, but the dip tube is out. As is the last stud! I pulled off the alternator and his mount and had good access. Rather than risking the threads with the extractor, I double nutted it and gave myself a limit on how hard I would torque on it by deliberately using a short wrench and bare hands. Success.

I bought some SS band clamps so that I can wrap the headers in the exhaust wrap. Expensive little suckers; ~$17 for 8 of them. I'll mount the headers in the vice so that I can really wrap them well so they look good. Being able to do that with them off the car is great. I'm also going to work on a new heat shield to protect the starter. That or I'll shell out $38 for a DMCH one.... Just waiting for them to get the exhaust gaskets back in stock next week.