PDA

View Full Version : How To: Regraining SS by hand.

SIMid
07-07-2014, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJEbKfM5wbs
I posted this up on FB, but here it is for those who aren't linked. A few have asked me to make a video and I had to do the other side, so thought why not.

Some may tell me that I am doing it wrong or maybe the technique is not effective. Please tell me. No one here in Australia had done it and even though my car I believe is in excellent condition, there were a few small scratches and also dark and shiny spots that needed attention. So I thought, what the hell, give it a go.

So far though, she looks really good when I finished it on Saturday afternoon. Probably needs a little more with the blending pad.

Didn't have the balls to try the bonnet. Plus trying to run straight lines was hard enough, like the roof. I didn't show in the video, but I had to redo it due to wonky lines and this time, I used masking tap as guide lines to help me. Then it came out top notch.

I did see a video somewhere that an owner set up a jig to regrain the bonnet. It was awesome, but how often would you regrain a bonnet?

NightFlyer
07-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Your car looks FANTASTIC!

Great video how to - thanks for making it and sharing it :thumbup:

SIMid
07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Your car looks FANTASTIC!

Great video how to - thanks for making it and sharing it :thumbup:

Thanks man! Hope you guys understand my accent. A bit mangled with the Aussie and British background.

I said to my Mrs, I must had a stroke as my mouth was a little twisted when I talk. She slapped me. LOL!

acaciolo
07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I started watching this video and thought WTF? and nightflyer said good job? am I missing something? then I watched a little longer and got to the real video. nice. impressive.

I am still looking for sandpaper that you use on a circular saw though...

tony

SIMid
07-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I started watching this video and thought WTF? and nightflyer said good job? am I missing something? then I watched a little longer and got to the real video.
tony

HAHA!!

I had to add Kevin in there. :p

jawn101
07-07-2014, 10:54 PM
HAHA!!

It's like painting a fine art.

NightFlyer
07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
HAHA!!

It's the production quality (including the Universal logo splash and Kevin) which made the whole thing entertaining, on top of being informative :thumbup:

SIMid
07-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Notice no BTTF referrence? Must be a first! LOL!

NightFlyer
07-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Kevin and his video have achieved 'legendary' status within the community - to not include him would have been blasphemous :biggrin:

vps3922
07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJEbKfM5wbs
I posted this up on FB, but here it is for those who aren't linked. A few have asked me to make a video and I had to do the other side, so thought why not.

Some may tell me that I am doing it wrong or maybe the technique is not effective. Please tell me. No one here in Australia had done it and even though my car I believe is in excellent condition, there were a few small scratches and also dark and shiny spots that needed attention. So I thought, what the hell, give it a go.

So far though, she looks really good when I finished it on Saturday afternoon. Probably needs a little more with the blending pad.

Didn't have the balls to try the bonnet. Plus trying to run straight lines was hard enough, like the roof. I didn't show in the video, but I had to redo it due to wonky lines and this time, I used masking tap as guide lines to help me. Then it came out top notch.

I did see a video somewhere that an owner set up a jig to regrain the bonnet. It was awesome, but how often would you regrain a bonnet?

Wow, great video. And what a nice mumbling sound of the engine when you do the walk around at the end. I like your engine sound! :)

pezzonovante88
07-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks for posting the vid. Your car looks great. It really is like painting a fine art picture! :giddy:

ALEXAKOS
07-08-2014, 03:19 PM
You know WE LOVE YOU for doing this right? heheheh
You da man ...man!:elmo1:

SIMid
07-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just be thankful Josh that I did not add some techno music to the video! LOL!

VPS392, She burbles as she has the Stage one exhaust. A stock sounding Delorean just doesn't cut it personally.

Alex, I think you're the SS master on here!

I only did the video due to request from several owners. Just glad I can share some of my experience with Delorean ownership. :D

ALEXAKOS
07-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Alex, I think you're the SS master on here!
Not anymore!
A chap from down under just "universal pictured" him self to the top!:gunfire:
If this was your "meeehhh" effort in making such a vid..... I can't imagine what your "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" relesase will be like?
The "titanic" with Brad Pit and Scarlett Johansson ? :kisses:

NightFlyer
07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just be thankful Josh that I did not add some techno music to the video! LOL!

Now we're talking! :biggrin:

SIMid
07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Not anymore!
A chap from down under just "universal pictured" him self to the top!:gunfire:
If this was your "meeehhh" effort in making such a vid..... I can't imagine what your "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" relesase will be like?
The "titanic" with Brad Pit and Scarlett Johansson ? :kisses:

LOL!

All filmed on a $90 camera. If I had a budget of $20K, then .........

SIMid
07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Now we're talking! :biggrin:

No, it's not going to happen! LOL!

Regarding Concerto and his Delorean (& Kevin). What happened to the car all those years ago? I heard it was repro-ed not long after he did the second video.

ALEXAKOS
07-10-2014, 02:55 AM
LOL!

All filmed on a $90 camera. If I had a budget of $20K, then .........

James Cameron would be your bitch!