PDA

View Full Version : Recall Notice, FAN RELAY

Bitsyncmaster
07-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I was making a software change to filter the input signal because some cars seem to have noise on that line even when you turn the engine off, the fans keep running. Well I put that software change into one unit and will send that unit off to see if it fixes that problem in that car.

Anyway, I ran across a software bug that could cause the fans not to go on. It's a rare occurrence but I don't want anyone to have that problem. So I recommend you remove my solid state fan relay (painted brown) and use a standard mechanical relay until you send the solid state one back for a software update.

The problem can happen when one signal (the AC or otterstat) turns off and the other one turns on within 1 or 2 seconds of the first one turning off.

Sorry about this inconvenience.

Spittybug
07-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....

Bitsyncmaster
07-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Dave, could this be causing the periodic flashing of the fan fail light (near continuous blinking, but comes and goes as to when). The fans have been confirmed to be working fine even when this happens. I have both of your fan modules.....

No that would not affect the fan fail flashing. What REV is marked on your fan fail unit (if any).

Kevin
07-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.

Bitsyncmaster
07-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Dave, my fans keep running for 20 seconds when I turn my car off, figured it was normal since the module is designed to keep powering the fans if the relay loses power in some way and I wasn't sure if it had a way to know if the car was off. Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

I've got them both as well. My fan fail light also had a sporadic blink, but then I cleaned the grounds for the fans and it went away. The light is designed to come on if there's some percentage of discrepancy between the two fans in the amount of amps they're drawing, it could be yours are right near that line.

No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.

Kevin
07-12-2014, 12:15 PM
No the 20 seconds running is normal if the fans were running when you shut the car off. What one or two owners have found was it would run past that 20 seconds. It must be a noise caused by the fans or wiring that re triggers the relay input.

Oh ok, I haven't experienced that, but I'll send it up for the other bug. Can you PM me the address to mail to?

vps3922
07-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I noticed that my Fan Fail light is on when the car has been shut off and the fans run for the 20 seconds you programmed. I also have both solid state relays.

But it never comes on when driving. The fans start fine and the car keeps its cool. Is this supposed to light the light?

Bitsyncmaster
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I noticed that my Fan Fail light is on when the car has been shut off and the fans run for the 20 seconds you programmed. I also have both solid state relays.

But it never comes on when driving. The fans start fine and the car keeps its cool. Is this supposed to light the light?

It's not normal but probably one of your fans has higher or lower current than the other fan when your battery voltage is low (engine off). I would not worry about that unless you see it when driving.

Tillsy
07-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Is there a way we can apply this update ourselves?

Sending internationally is a royal pain in the...

vps3922
07-13-2014, 01:40 AM
It's not normal but probably one of your fans has higher or lower current than the other fan when your battery voltage is low (engine off). I would not worry about that unless you see it when driving.

I kept an eye on that when driving around today. It was quite hot today. The car kept its cool and the fans were working fine. I noticed that the fan fail light is coming on when the car is not in movement. It stayed off when the car was on the highway but came on when I stopped at a traffic light (engine still running). I stopped it in the garage and the light came on again. Initially flashing and then solid on. It stayed on for the 20 seconds after the engine was turned off and went off after that. I had a stopover at my friend Dave's and he checked with me the fans and they both came on and were working fine. I also checked the fuses in your fan module and they are both fine.

I am not sure what is going on.

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 05:59 AM
I kept an eye on that when driving around today. It was quite hot today. The car kept its cool and the fans were working fine. I noticed that the fan fail light is coming on when the car is not in movement. It stayed off when the car was on the highway but came on when I stopped at a traffic light (engine still running). I stopped it in the garage and the light came on again. Initially flashing and then solid on. It stayed on for the 20 seconds after the engine was turned off and went off after that. I had a stopover at my friend Dave's and he checked with me the fans and they both came on and were working fine. I also checked the fuses in your fan module and they are both fine.

I am not sure what is going on.

You have an option to change the fan current compare value to a higher difference. What is your voltage at idle? Can you do a fan current measurement?

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Is there a way we can apply this update ourselves?

Sending internationally is a royal pain in the...

I wish there was. I have to machine the edge of the potting off, solder on 5 wires, reprogram and then pot that area and paint.

Maybe a bunch of you in an area can send the units in one package.

Tillsy
07-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Just a thought, perhaps future versions of your various devices could have a tiny port that one can plug into for uploading updates?

Bitsyncmaster
07-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Just a thought, perhaps future versions of your various devices could have a tiny port that one can plug into for uploading updates?

I've thought of that also. If I mounted the micro on the lower PCB it would be easy but all my units have the micro on the upper PCB.

vps3922
07-14-2014, 01:42 AM
You have an option to change the fan current compare value to a higher difference. What is your voltage at idle? Can you do a fan current measurement?

How would I achieve that? Where would I have to measure (best spots to connect current meter?)?

Bitsyncmaster
07-14-2014, 05:31 AM
How would I achieve that? Where would I have to measure (best spots to connect current meter?)?

The best way to measure fan current is to use a clamp on current device. Then you don't introduce voltage drops so you read the real current that the fans draw (do with engine running). With that you would just clamp over one of the fan wires up near the fans under the car. I use a clamp device that converts to voltage and plugs into my standard meter but they sell self contained units. Look on Ebay.

I think they sell a meter that plugs into a fuse to read current also. That may be your second option to measure the current.

Most common meters will not handle more than 10 amps and even if it does you need heavy gauge test leads to reduce voltage drops.

Look on my web site for instructions to reprogram the unit options.

vps3922
07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
The best way to measure fan current is to use a clamp on current device. Then you don't introduce voltage drops so you read the real current that the fans draw (do with engine running). With that you would just clamp over one of the fan wires up near the fans under the car. I use a clamp device that converts to voltage and plugs into my standard meter but they sell self contained units. Look on Ebay.

I think they sell a meter that plugs into a fuse to read current also. That may be your second option to measure the current.

Most common meters will not handle more than 10 amps and even if it does you need heavy gauge test leads to reduce voltage drops.

Look on my web site for instructions to reprogram the unit options.

Thanks! I will check the current programmed state of your module these days. I have a feeling that it is set to state 1 and might need to get switched to state 2.

Bitsyncmaster
07-19-2014, 07:01 AM
I've shipped two returned updated units. I've marked the unit with a "B2" on the side so you don't see revision marking when installed.

There is a test you can do to see if your still at the old original software (All previous fan relays had no revision and all used the same original software). With your key on (engine not running), switch your AC on and then off, wait the 20 seconds until your fans turn off, then immediately turn the AC back on. If your fans don't come on your still not updated.

Why this occurs so seldom (if ever) is, if your AC is on the fans never shut off. If your AC is off the otterstat will not come back on within 20 seconds. So I would think it could only occur if your switching the AC on or off after your engine is up to normal running temp and it just coincides with the fans turning off.

Kevin
07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
I got my relay back today, installed it, performed the test, all seems well! Thanks for the quick turnaround on this, and thanks for offering to correct the issue for us! Much appreciated.

vps3922
08-16-2014, 10:14 PM
I wanted to update my settings on the Fan Fail module and noticed that one of the fans actually does not spin. So I am on a single fan at the moment and that explains why the light goes on. Damn! Dave G. said that both would spin, but they do not. Or it gradually got worse and now it stopped spinning.

Just wanted to let you know that your module seems ok and is in perfect working condition.

Bitsyncmaster
08-17-2014, 05:06 AM
I wanted to update my settings on the Fan Fail module and noticed that one of the fans actually does not spin. So I am on a single fan at the moment and that explains why the light goes on. Damn! Dave G. said that both would spin, but they do not. Or it gradually got worse and now it stopped spinning.

Just wanted to let you know that your module seems ok and is in perfect working condition.

Your the third or forth owner to have the light give you the warning of a failed fan. I installed one at DCS and the light came on. Crawled under the car and sure enough one fan was not working.

vps3922
08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
The jumper works perfectly. Both fans turn on. I put your FF module back and confirmed that it will not turn on the passenger side fan. Tested both fuses in the passenger side slot and none turn on the fan. Diagnostic complete. It is a failed fan fail module. I'll send a PM.

Bitsyncmaster
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Yes it sounds like the fan fail unit failed. I will fix or send a new one. I do need the old one back to try to verify what failed (most likely that current sensor chip).

Bitsyncmaster
08-28-2014, 08:07 PM
I got a returned fan relay and only a return address on the shipping label:

ROYAL MAIL LLC
SHIPPING MANAGER
828 ROYAL ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70116

Anyone know who this is? Do I just return it to that same return shipping label?

NightFlyer
08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
I got a returned fan relay and only a return address on the shipping label:

ROYAL MAIL LLC
SHIPPING MANAGER
828 ROYAL ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70116

Anyone know who this is? Do I just return it to that same return shipping label?

As there are several Today members centered in/around New Orleans, LA, you may have better luck finding out who it is if you post this over there.

Other than that, I would say, yeah, return it to that address I guess.

Best luck :thumbup:

Dangermouse
08-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Isn't Farrar the Royal Male?

At least his voice is :)