PDA

View Full Version : Name the 80s movie whose filming location I visited today

Kevin
07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
I enjoyed the chance to create an 80s mashup photo today. This place is from a very popular movie, it's near where I live, but I'm curious to see how recognizable the location is to folks who aren't from around here.

Anyone else made a similar movie/80s mashup photo?

NightFlyer
07-13-2014, 03:46 PM
I enjoyed the chance to create an 80s mashup photo today. This place is from a very popular movie, it's near where I live, but I'm curious to see how recognizable the location is to folks who aren't from around here.

Anyone else made a similar movie/80s mashup photo?

Isn't that the fake Borscht Belt Catskills resort, in reality the Mountain Lake Hotel, as featured in Dirty Dancing (1987)? I still say it was blasphemous not filming at an actual Borscht Belt Catskills resort...

Then again, A Walk on the Moon (1999) committed the same atrocity (only using Canadian filming locations). At least Sweet Lorraine (1987) was actually filmed at the Heiden Hotel, South Fallsburg, New York, USA, thus I have to say that it is my favorite Catskills movie for the sole fact that it was actually filmed at an infamous Borscht Belt hotel.

Kevin
07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Yep, good eye! It's Mountain Lake, also known as Kellerman's in Dirty Dancing.

Timebender
07-16-2014, 06:22 PM
That's down south, right? I remember reading somewhere that the humidity was horrible during filming.

Kevin
07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
It's in southwest Virginia up in the mountains. So maybe not as bad the deeper south and by the coast, but I wouldn't doubt it got pretty uncomfortable.