PDA

View Full Version : How To: Cruise Control Install

Josh
07-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Here is a quick overview of my cc install, hopefully this will be useful to someone as it took me some head scratching to get it working right!

First off consult this page, this gentleman did an excellent job at documenting the install:
http://www.ryanwright.com/delorean/ccs100/

The unit is an Audiovox CCS100, with the panel mount switch.

Panel mount switch mounted where rheostat previously was.

Grey and back wires from the module spliced into 12v plug wiring. (black to black, grey to red/orange)
It is important to hook up this ground or nothing will work. Grey wire is optional.

I mounted the unit in the pontoon, on the drivers side.

the main unit wiring is as follows:
Orange (12v switched, 3A fuse) - tapped into my aux fusebox, relay compartment
Red (12v constant) - Spliced into white wire bundle, relay compartment
Purple (12v braking) - Spliced into Green/Purple wire, black connector on bulkhead panel
Black (Ground) - Ground, bulkhead panel, main ground
Blue (Tach) - detailed explanation below

The blue wire is the tach signal wire. It looks for a change in voltage so see that the engine is revving. if you have a stock delorean, tap into the white/grey wire in the ecu compartment. This is the wire to the tachometer, it is pretty much useless to the cruise module so you will not have cancellation when you push in the clutch, it will just hit redline and you WILL need to install the magnet kit on the axle. Two magnets must be installed 180 deg apart from each other. This is the shielded black and grey wires out of the main unit. But the tach still needs to be hooked up, do not leave it unhooked.

My car is not stock, it has a 3.0 engine. I am also running EDIS ignition. I first tapped into the tach wire, and i could only get it to set between 60-80kph, and it did not function well. I did not have the magnet kit installed. I removed the tach wire from the white/grey wire and connected it to coil #1 on the EDIS module, the yellow/black wire. Took it out for a spin and it worked beautifully. I did not need to install the magnet kit, and clutch cancellation works. This should be similar for any engine with coil pack (distributorless) ignition; just hook he blue wire up to coil #1

Dip switch settings:

stock 2.8
1-Off, 2-Off, 3-On, 4-Off, 5-Off, 6-Off, On

1-Off, 2-Off, 3-Off, 4-Off, 5-Off, 6-Off, On

Nicholas R
07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Interesting; I have never been able to get the tach signal wire to ever cause a system response. Glad someone got it to work. I swear the instructions said negative side of ignition coil. Never had any luck when I did it though. Glad it's working!!

Josh
07-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Interesting; I have never been able to get the tach signal wire to ever cause a system response. Glad someone got it to work. I swear the instructions said negative side of ignition coil. Never had any luck when I did it though. Glad it's working!!

Just to clarify i did not get it working off the white/grey wire, which is connected to the negitive side of the coil on a stock setup. I did get it working with my EDIS box, and the yellow/black wire is the negative side of coil #1. There are three negitives (grounds) that go to the coil pack, and one constant power. So essentially tapping into any of these grounds would work.

DMCMW Dave
07-17-2014, 09:06 PM

The tach signal wire and the coil negative are the same wire all over the car - white-slate from the ECU to coil, tach, RPM relay, and idle ECU.

Nicholas R
07-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I swear, when I had the PRV, I tried everything to get it to work with no luck. With my engine now I've tried connecting it directly to the LS ECU tach signal, as well as tried connecting it to my Dakota Digital tach converter. Neither made any difference. Oh well; I'm still rocking the dual half shaft magnets :thumbup:

Josh
07-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Its my understanding that if you have a distributor you will have to run the magnets.

bigmac
05-09-2015, 12:37 AM
My cruise control unit.34313

Andrew
06-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Hey Bigmac, I'm looking at installing cruise control on 5052 and really like your switch setup. What switch are you using and how did you mount it to the stock turn signal stick?

aotmfilms
06-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Okay, stupid question because after looking over the website, I don't trust myself to do this right. Do any of the vendors offer a cruise control option at a reasonable price? or at all? It would be cool to have as how I have it in my DD. I'd throw it on my "To have done list".

Thanks in advance!

--Doug

DMC5180
06-26-2015, 05:23 PM
DMCMW does a nice installation if the kits are still available.

DOMI knows someone in France that did a very nice tech write up on installing a Rostra electronic cruise control. Unfortunately it's in French, so you have open the forum page in google translate.

aotmfilms
03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Oh ok! I'll have to check with them sometime.:thumbup:

hippieman9
10-04-2018, 03:47 AM
My cruise control unit.34313

What is this cruise switch from??