PDA

View Full Version : Help with no start

DMCSPRINT
07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Hello, was wondering if anyone has experienced this type concern or may have further suggestions on what to look for. To sum it up vehicle had been running fine drove it on about an hour trip each way , when coming back vehicle started to buck and battery light flickered on then ran okay then vehicle cut off at a light, I was able to get it to restart drove it about 5 miles cut off again as I was entered my development. I pushed it to my drive way and tried junping it with jump box, multiple times, used another vehcile with cables multiple times, finally vehcile started and i pulled it up into the garage and parked it. The next morning started it up fine , went to drive it , vehicle cut off again and could not get it to restart. I finally towed it to my work last week , and had a tech check it out, there seems to be no spark. I replaced the ignition resistor and still no start, no spark, put a new Bosch coil, same thing, even to be safe replaced the battery all still exact same results. The tech states the distributor is giving off impulse and working.
I have power at the plus side of the coil with key on
I have checked the impulse coil with a meter on omes and it does 0 out when checking
i have checked and there are 12 v going into the ECU when you checked the connectors
I have checked there appears to 1 v of power going out of the ECu with key in on postion(when checking the harnesses that plug into the ECU).
The tech states all the fuses/relays are good
Fuel pump is working
Battery light does come on when going to start vehicle
I have been told a possible impulse coil could be the problem but my tech states it working and other think maybe the ECU is bad. Appreciate any help yall can give as this is becoming pretty frustrating ( and expensive, ha) as I said the wierd thig is the vehicle drove fine until the bucking started and it cut out. I have bene lucky I guess and this is the first real/weird problem I have had with the vehicle since owning it. Thanks

Rich
07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Moderator please delete this duplicate OP?

Thread already started on it after a similar/identical post went up another time shortly after this?

Bitsyncmaster
07-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Usually the impulse coil will fail when hot but now you have problems cold so that may not be the problem. You would get about one volt out of the ignition ECU with the engine not running. That ECU drives the "-" side of the coil to ground.

Does your tach move when your cranking the engine and it does not start? If it moves (about 500 RPM) then your ECU is probably working.

How do you know it is not getting spark?

DMCSPRINT
07-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Usually the impulse coil will fail when hot but now you have problems cold so that may not be the problem. You would get about one volt out of the ignition ECU with the engine not running. That ECU drives the "-" side of the coil to ground.

Does your tach move when your cranking the engine and it does not start? If it moves (about 500 RPM) then your ECU is probably working.

How do you know it is not getting spark?

Hello, i just got back in town and tried to start to check for what you mentioned an NO THE RPMS are not moving at all , they are staying on 0 when trying to start vehicle. Do you think the would mean the ECU is bad?

On the spark the tech said there is no shock/spark from the coil wire to the distributor, a slight tingle etc from it but nothing high like it probably should be. Appreciate any further info. Thanks

Bitsyncmaster
07-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Hello, i just got back in town and tried to start to check for what you mentioned an NO THE RPMS are not moving at all , they are staying on 0 when trying to start vehicle. Do you think the would mean the ECU is bad?

On the spark the tech said there is no shock/spark from the coil wire to the distributor, a slight tingle etc from it but nothing high like it probably should be. Appreciate any further info. Thanks

When my ECU went bad the tach stayed at zero. Since I had an extra ECU it was the quickest thing to check. You could have a bad ECU or a bad pickup coil or a wiring issue.

Rich
07-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Is there a particular reason this thread 10238 - and it's twin thread - 10239 - are running in parallel trying to solve - I think - the same problem started by the same OP?

As of today the other one has about 8 posts and this one has 4 posts.

Are these now two different problems?

Moderators?