PDA

View Full Version : Brake Brake Master Toast?

sdg3205
07-30-2014, 02:00 AM
After taking a ridiculously long time to bleed the brakes, the pedal was still spongey.

I removed the mc and did a bench bleed and found this.

http://youtu.be/pOoWRlw3QpE

DMC-81
07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm still new to the Deloreans, but I'd say probably. I took mine apart to verify this. There is a C clip holding the rear piston assembly in place behind a washer, and a pin holding the forward piston in there. The pin is in the forward hole that the reservoir sits in. You can use compressed air to remove both pistons from the bore. Be careful, and block the piston assembly from shooting like a bullet. When I took mine apart, I saw mild pitting at the bottom of the bore in both sections of the pistons. Toast! It will either be pitting or worn rubber seals that will make it fail. Even it it was only worn rubber seals on mine, I did a lot of research on a rebuild kit, and I found none still available. I bought two BMC's, one from DMCH, and the other one from Hervey. I think I will use the DMC one, as I am somewhat of a purist.

Best of luck.

David T
07-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm still new to the Deloreans, but I'd say probably. I took mine apart to verify this. There is a C clip holding the rear piston assembly in place behind a washer, and a pin holding the forward piston in there. The pin is in the forward hole that the reservoir sits in. You can use compressed air to remove both pistons from the bore. Be careful, and block the piston assembly from shooting like a bullet. When I took mine apart, I saw mild pitting at the bottom of the bore in both sections of the pistons. Toast! It will either be pitting or worn rubber seals that will make it fail. Even it it was only worn rubber seals on mine, I did a lot of research on a rebuild kit, and I found none still available. I bought two BMC's, one from DMCH, and the other one from Hervey. I think I will use the DMC one, as I am somewhat of a purist.

Best of luck.

You need to get some hoses and connect the outlets back into the reservoir so when you let go of the plunger you do not suck air back in. Keep pumping till you don't see bubbles anymore. Take the reservoir off, clean it out good, refill with clean, fresh brake fluid and try again with the hoses. Leave the hoses on till you are ready to connect the pipes.