PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Cars & Coffee!

TheDutchTexan
08-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Ok... I am back... again... Formerly known as Justice I now go by TheDutchTexan. I thought cured... but as any wannahave might attest to... You are never really cured from wanting a DeLorean. I wrote something on oppositelock, which subsequently got reposted on their cars&coffee group page. I don't know if I could have done that from the get go, but I digress.

Here is the link to the article, and it also features my latest Cars & Coffee video from August 2014.

Link: Damn you Cars & Coffee! (http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/damn-you-cars-coffee-1617101979)

So yeah... I reset the Obtain 'O Meter... starting out at a paltry 3.3% of what I think a DeLorean would cost me at this time and will inch forward. And maybe... maybe life won't get in the way. Or some old school muscle gets bought from the money that is supposed to go to the DeLorean... Man it sucks to be a car enthusiast...

dmc6960
08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Well if we're talking about Cars and Coffee here is a nice video of the Twin Cities' C&C from August 2nd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240EqwbsT88

3 D's right in the beginning (I'm with the open door), plus a fourth D around 0:58.

vps3922
08-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok... I am back... again... Formerly known as Justice I now go by TheDutchTexan. I thought cured... but as any wannahave might attest to...

So yeah... I reset the Obtain 'O Meter... starting out at a paltry 3.3% of what I think a DeLorean would cost me at this time and will inch forward. And maybe... maybe life won't get in the way. Or some old school muscle gets bought from the money that is supposed to go to the DeLorean... Man it sucks to be a car enthusiast...

Hey, never stop dreaming and always try your best to get there. I never thought I would own my dream in stainless steel one day, but it happened. I wish you all the best on your journey and hope that life will not interfere this time!

And hey, if you have a house with a garage that can be used to keep a car that does not run then just pick up a project and you can source parts slowly and do not have to pay the hefty pricetag for an already working daily driver.

And the C&C looks like a great event!

OverlandMan
08-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Ok... I am back... again... Formerly known as Justice I now go by TheDutchTexan. I thought cured... but as any wannahave might attest to... You are never really cured from wanting a DeLorean. I wrote something on oppositelock, which subsequently got reposted on their cars&coffee group page. I don't know if I could have done that from the get go, but I digress.

Here is the link to the article, and it also features my latest Cars & Coffee video from August 2014.

Link: Damn you Cars & Coffee! (http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/damn-you-cars-coffee-1617101979)

I noticed that was the Dallas/Plano Coffee & Cars. I'm an owner out in Rowlett. I haven't taken my car to that show but may down the road at some point. I know a handful of the local owners. If you ever get serious about buying one, give me a shout.

I'll be out at the Italian Car Festival in Grapevine in September with my 308GTS Ferrari. If you like the Italian stuff, I highly suggest that show.

NightFlyer
08-08-2014, 11:42 PM
I'll be out at the Italian Car Festival in Grapevine in September with my 308GTS Ferrari. If you like the Italian stuff, I highly suggest that show.

But will you have your mustache grown out by then??? :biggrin:

JohnZ
08-09-2014, 10:24 AM
But will you have your mustache grown out by then??? :biggrin:

:neener:

TheDutchTexan
08-11-2014, 04:49 PM
dmc6960: Whow, I'd probably have a nosebleed after seeing 3 of em in a row. And two of em look like early ones (either that, or they got a gasflap hood somewhere). Thanks for sharing that one!

vps3922: I don't have space for one. And even a project D is not in the cards right now. I'd rather start out with a driver though, I don't want to get too deep in the mechanicals. At least, not initially.

OverlandMan: It won't be for a good while. I am bleeding cash more than ever it seems. But I'll keep your words in mind. Also, I might have to pop in at that show and video.

Henrik
08-12-2014, 06:12 PM
I noticed that was the Dallas/Plano Coffee & Cars. I'm an owner out in Rowlett. I haven't taken my car to that show but may down the road at some point. I know a handful of the local owners. If you ever get serious about buying one, give me a shout.

Yeah Jeff, we're meeting regularly at C&C in Plano. One time we had three of them there. When will you be joining?

About the Italian Car Festival in Grapevine: They invited us Delorean owners to it last year because the D is styled in Italy. So technically, you can bring your D and your 308 there. It was a lot of fun!

OverlandMan
08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah Jeff, we're meeting regularly at C&C in Plano. One time we had three of them there. When will you be joining?

About the Italian Car Festival in Grapevine: They invited us Delorean owners to it last year because the D is styled in Italy. So technically, you can bring your D and your 308 there. It was a lot of fun!

Hey Henrik! Well right now I'm still sorting out issues with my fuel system. Plus I don't have AC in the DeLorean... so maybe when the weather breaks?!? .... and when I get my D sorted a bit more... story of this car it seems!

The 308 is in better shape right now than the D so I'll be showing it more for the time being. I was up at C&C earlier this year but have been pretty busy of late.

I remember last year seeing Marc and a handful of other local Ds at the ICF in Grapevine. Don't think I've done anything with the group since the last swim/margarita party at Dash's house in Keller.

Roman Legion
08-16-2014, 02:42 AM
We'll both get there, worry not. I have some personal expenses right now, so the DeLorean is a longer term goal, but other things in my personal life come first as far as money goes. Hopefully going to get to see a DeLorean tomorrow for the first time up close, so I'm super excited, just hope my addiction to the car doesn't go into overdrive..lol

Alan
08-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Hopefully going to get to see a DeLorean tomorrow for the first time up close, so I'm super excited, just hope my addiction to the car doesn't go into overdrive..lol

I hope you do. I still remember the first time I saw one up close and personal, first time I got to get in one, first time I got to drive one, and the first time I attended a DeLorean event (as a passenger) in one. All big thrills for me. I still don't own one yet. If you're anything like me your addiction will go straight into overdrive.

TheDutchTexan
08-18-2014, 05:20 PM
I've been a passenger in one a long long time ago. I actually didn't even ask to sit in the one that was there.

But that drivers seat... Maybe one day I'll be able to con an owner into giving me the keys for a short little drive... Maybe a little longer one... I got action cameras... I can do a review... I was planning on starting that on my YouTube channel last Sunday with my Mustang, but then it rained...

opethmike
08-29-2014, 07:23 PM
I've been a passenger in one a long long time ago. I actually didn't even ask to sit in the one that was there.

But that drivers seat... Maybe one day I'll be able to con an owner into giving me the keys for a short little drive... Maybe a little longer one... I got action cameras... I can do a review... I was planning on starting that on my YouTube channel last Sunday with my Mustang, but then it rained...

While it it would not be representative of a stock car, if you find yourself in Rochester NY at some point, you would be welcome to drive my car.

TheDutchTexan
08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
While it it would not be representative of a stock car, if you find yourself in Rochester NY at some point, you would be welcome to drive my car.

I appreciate the offer Mike! It doesn't matter if yours (or any) DeLorean I would drive is stock or not, I know it will never be a fast car until you pour thousands into it. Just the iconic shape does it for me! Perhaps I'll get a DFW based owner that would give me a similar offer. I'd totally video the experience though. I don't think there are enough DeLorean videos on YouTube!

TheDutchTexan
09-01-2014, 12:11 PM
This is pretty much what a DeLorean car review would look like if I ever get around to getting one. Without the burning rubber hauling ass though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlO58ewg7Y

aotmfilms
05-02-2015, 11:47 AM
I appreciate the offer Mike! It doesn't matter if yours (or any) DeLorean I would drive is stock or not, I know it will never be a fast car until you pour thousands into it. Just the iconic shape does it for me! Perhaps I'll get a DFW based owner that would give me a similar offer. I'd totally video the experience though. I don't think there are enough DeLorean videos on YouTube!

The D test drive FYI, for a 130hp engine has a little more pep than I thought possible for a 3,200 lb car (Manual Transmission). I was pleasantly surprised. The rearview is basically nonexistent for me, especially with some dude in a truck up my butt trying to take a picture, and both the passenger/driverside windows are a little small when compared to my 07 Sonata.

The front is a little light with nothing in the trunk so when you get one my Dad recommended that I place a 10lb bag of sand in the front over each tire so the front doesn't hydro plane in wet conditions but is not too heavy (100lb bag) to detract from performance.

The car seems a tad light in the front with all of the weight (it seemed to me) residing in the back, so when driving, respect the D as how it will drive different than most modern cars. My 2007 Sonata stops quicker and at 325 HP accelerates quicker so I will have to be more careful changing lanes or pulling out into traffic. (Just some notes I made and hopefully for your benefit as well)

Shep
05-02-2015, 08:39 PM
What is with you and responding to just about every old and dead thread in this entire forum man? It's getting seriously annoying and in quite a few of the threads you just post that you disagree with someone and revive an argument previously settled, and the rest you just bump the thread and tell us what we all already know. If it's more than a week or two old, don't be That Guy and bump it with nothing new to add.

I mean, it's one thing if soneone is working on a project and hasn't posted an update for a while, or you actually have NEW info to provide, but frankly I get the feeling "Forum Etiquette" is not your strong suit...

OverlandMan
05-03-2015, 02:50 PM
The D test drive FYI, for a 130hp engine has a little more pep than I thought possible for a 3,200 lb car (Manual Transmission). I was pleasantly surprised. The rearview is basically nonexistent for me, especially with some dude in a truck up my butt trying to take a picture, and both the passenger/driverside windows are a little small when compared to my 07 Sonata.

The front is a little light with nothing in the trunk so when you get one my Dad recommended that I place a 10lb bag of sand in the front over each tire so the front doesn't hydro plane in wet conditions but is not too heavy (100lb bag) to detract from performance.

The car seems a tad light in the front with all of the weight (it seemed to me) residing in the back, so when driving, respect the D as how it will drive different than most modern cars. My 2007 Sonata stops quicker and at 325 HP accelerates quicker so I will have to be more careful changing lanes or pulling out into traffic. (Just some notes I made and hopefully for your benefit as well)

The car doesn't weigh 3,200 lbs stock. The OEM specs have it at just over 2,700 lbs (curb weight). If you have a BTTF conversion then you're certainly heavier.

Furthermore, I wouldn't add weight to the front suspension. That will make the wheels even harder to turn without any speed (ie: parking). The solution for me is not to drive in the rain or at least heavy rain that would cause this concern you have. Then again, my car is not a daily driver and never will be.