PDA

View Full Version : Electric BTTF Car

Dangermouse
08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
I have seen descriptions of Dr. Delman's electric car in NY/NJ, and I think there is at least one other, but I don't recall an electric BTTF car

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/back-from-the-future-an-electric-delorean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xh91kzOyiBU

Farrar
08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Where does it say he's turning it into a BTTF replica?

Farrar

Dangermouse
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
mmm, I guess I made the jump from the photo in the press article.

Guess I was wrong, oops

TheDutchTexan
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
70k range? Yeah well... good luck to you. It would be great for the commuters amonst us. But the folks that venture longer distances, and don't want to be left stranded due to the lack of "juice" because the battery discharged a bit faster than anticipated on their commute will stick with a regular gas DeLorean. At half the cost...

dmc6960
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
70k range? Yeah well... good luck to you. It would be great for the commuters amonst us. But the folks that venture longer distances, and don't want to be left stranded due to the lack of "juice" because the battery discharged a bit faster than anticipated on their commute will stick with a regular gas DeLorean. At half the cost...

Trailer hitch on the D, purpose built trailer, generator, gas tank, electrical cable.

Long trip problem solved.

Marc Levy was the first to post this idea, still to this day I cannot comprehend how simple of a concept this is.

Personally I'd like to see something done with a traction motor on each wheel hub, but then again that would significantly alter all DeLorean related components of the suspension and probably require a different steering rack and frame modifications. A single huge motor keeps things relatively simple.

Citizen
08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
I have seen descriptions of Dr. Delman's electric car in NY/NJ, and I think there is at least one other, but I don't recall an electric BTTF car

The Registry shows two electric cars. Dr. Delman's is 5844 I think, and the other is 5426. See http://electricdelorean.com/. I had heard of one other, but have been unable to chase it down to confirm the VIN.

Thomas

Dracula
08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I remember reading about another one in Japan and one in Italy. I just don't get why people do this to DeLoreans. There are so many better candidates for it instead.

TheDutchTexan
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
+1. a vintage VW beetle would be a prime candidate imho. Batteries up front, motor in the back. AND 4 people seating. The weight would increase dramatically, but starting from way below 2000 pounds is a good thing.

nullset
08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I remember reading about another one in Japan and one in Italy. I just don't get why people do this to DeLoreans. There are so many better candidates for it instead.

Because Deloreans are stylish and futuristic. It makes sense for them to have a 'futuristic' electric motor. Also, nerds are attracted to both Deloreans and electric cars. Shall I draw a Venn diagram?

If I had the money, I'd convert my BTTF car to electric. It'd be awesome, and I wouldn't have to worry about needing a nuclear reactor, or having the fuel lines damaged when I'm visiting 1855…..

Of course, I'm sure you still think I should restore 2930 to stock…. so we will never see eye to eye.

--buddy

doctordhd
08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
As far as I know, there are four electric DeLoreans on the road at this time.

1. The Tilley DeLorean, this was the first conversion, brought back to life and converted to lithium power by Bob and Ryan Brandys.

2. My eD, converted by myself and Tom Neiland. Still the fastest and longest range DC conversion. Also the NEDRA 1/8 mile record holder in its class.

3. A conversion in Japan.

4. An AC conversion in Italy.

There are several others in the works as well as one that I believe is being sponsored by DMC .

Mark D
08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Doctordhd I think I had the privilege of meeting you at San Diego Comic Con and we got to discussing your electric delorean conversions around the Hotwheels booth. Was that you? I think we'd all be interested to learn more about the conversion process from gas to electric.