PDA

View Full Version : How to copy an .m4v (iTunes) file onto a flash drive

refugeefromcalif
08-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi. Got a question for the computer literate folks.
I download a lot of movie files from iTunes. (I don't have cable or high speed internet at home).
I download them on my iPhone or iPad at work. When I get home I transfer them to my laptop computer. From there I copy to a flash, (USB), drive to transfer for viewing on my desktop computer.
I've had a problem that won't allow me to copy files bigger than 4GB onto my flash/USB drive. (I prefer downloading HD movies)...:devil:

I'm trying to transfer the files to a 128GB Turbo PNY 3.0 flash drive that's Empty but, I get an error that says The Target drive is Smaller then the file in question. (I'm Paraphrasing).

Anyone have any ideas how I can excede that 4GB limit onto an Empty FD??

George

EDIT: Sorry, My laptop is a 2 1/2 year old HP. Windows 7 OP.

novadmc
08-28-2014, 05:54 PM
your flash drive is formatted with a FAT32 filesystem. this filesystem has a file size limit of 4GB. hence why you cant copy single files greater than 4GB over to it. reformat it with NTFS and you should be good to go!
simply right click on the FD in windows explorer and select FORMAT. then under the filesystem drop down, select NTFS.

after that, start copying your files and enjoy!

mluder
08-28-2014, 06:11 PM
your flash drive is formatted with a FAT32 filesystem. this filesystem has a file size limit of 4GB. hence why you cant copy single files greater than 4GB over to it. reformat it with NTFS and you should be good to go!
simply right click on the FD in windows explorer and select FORMAT. then under the filesystem drop down, select NTFS.

after that, start copying your files and enjoy!

BTW - In case you weren't aware, when you format the drive to NTFS anything already on it will be erased so back it up first.

refugeefromcalif
08-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys!

George

vps3922
08-29-2014, 10:37 AM
You can also format the drive as exFAT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT), depending on the operating system and its version on your notebook. This format can be found in Windows 7 and OSX versions. It is a file format that can be read and written by MS Windows and Apple OSX and does not have the 4 GB limitation.

Instructions on how to format your USB drive with either NTFS or exFAT can be found on the internet and are dependent on your operating system. There are some extra steps (http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm) on some Windows versions as they do not see the USB disk as a harddrive but a removable storage media and will not let you format it with NTFS.

Enjoy!

Volker

DMCVegas
08-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Just to add something to this, I would highly recommend using exFAT as well.

Believe it or not, NTFS & exFAT are both proprietary file systems created and owned by Microsoft. OS X and Linux are able to read and write to it no problem thanks to Microsoft's allowance. But OS X and Linux are only able to read NTFS, but they cannot write to it. In order to do such things While Windows is still the dominant OS globally, it's actually more proprietary than you realize (NTFS, Internet Explorer emulation, etc), and across platforms can sometimes be the odd-man out.

I use OS X and keep my HFS+ regular and encrypted formats on my external hard drives that don't leave my Mac. But for portable drives, thumb drives, and everything else, I always use exFAT for compatibility because I never know what I'll encounter. Likewise, who knows what you may encounter later on from other people's PCs, or if you yourself ever make the switch to a different OS.