PDA

View Full Version : Wanted WTB Key Cylinder with Key

Trstno1
09-05-2014, 02:58 PM
My key cylinder has major issues. First it has an aftermarket key that is shoddy at best. Second it appears to have been opened up for purposes of re-keying and is really only being held together by a loose fitting pressed pin. if the car moves a certain direction I cannot get the key in the ignition to start it. Because of such, I have to constantly have the bottom of the steering column canopy off in order to move the things around to start the car. I am quite sure this isn't normal.

I have attached a photo of said pin, and another of the other side of the cylinder which appears to have been drilled out......

So.....anyhow, I'm looking to purchase a key cylinder with original key and maybe the rest of the door locks. If anyone has one please let me know...

Jonathan
09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Been there done that unfortunately.

Mine looked just like yours and had a sheet metal screw unknown to me for quite some time holding it together. It fell out in the driveway which is when I realized what had happened.

Which brings me to my piece of advice for you: be very careful of that pin or screw or whatever it is holding it in place falling out without your doing. If it comes out and the cylinder slides out with it, the steering column interlock deadbolt will go up into the column and lock the steering. This is not ideal at cruising speeds.

I do not believe you can buy NOS ignition switches. I got mine from a parts car and I expect that is what you will need to pursue.

Trstno1
09-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Been there done that unfortunately.

Mine looked just like yours and had a sheet metal screw unknown to me for quite some time holding it together. It fell out in the driveway which is when I realized what had happened.

Which brings me to my piece of advice for you: be very careful of that pin or screw or whatever it is holding it in place falling out without your doing. If it comes out and the cylinder slides out with it, the steering column interlock deadbolt will go up into the column and lock the steering. This is not ideal at cruising speeds.

I do not believe you can buy NOS ignition switches. I got mine from a parts car and I expect that is what you will need to pursue.

Do you happen to know if there is a cross referenced part number for the ignition cylinder?

Jonathan
09-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Do you happen to know if there is a cross referenced part number for the ignition cylinder?

No, I don't. I didn't find one when I looked, but I had found a parts car guy that sent me his switch so it ended my research pretty quickly.

Andrew
09-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I too need an ignition lock cylinder. I have done some research and confirmed via the UK DMC forums that the ignition lock from a 81 Rover SD will bolt up. Less than 1000 SD's were imported to the us as Rover 800s, and no parts stores have the ignition switches on this side of the pond; however, Rimmer Brothers in the UK sells this part under the number CRC 3914. However, the lock and switch are a single unit and I believe a wiring / plug modification is necessary. The part itself is about $100 with the current exchange rate plus about another $20 for international shipping.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Trstno1
09-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I too need an ignition lock cylinder. I have done some research and confirmed via the UK DMC forums that the ignition lock from a 81 Rover SD will bolt up. Less than 1000 SD's were imported to the us as Rover 800s, and no parts stores have the ignition switches on this side of the pond; however, Rimmer Brothers in the UK sells this part under the number CRC 3914. However, the lock and switch are a single unit and I believe a wiring / plug modification is necessary. The part itself is about $100 with the current exchange rate plus about another $20 for international shipping.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Please let me know how this works out for you. Maybe you can post a video of the plug mod. Do you know what the mod is? I would also be interested to see how the steering column plastics fits around the new cylinder. Any thoughts as to if you could have a reproduction DMC key cut to the keys that come with the new cylinder?

Great find though!! I imagine a new key cylinder beats a used one any day of the week.

Thank you for the heads up!

Trstno1
09-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Anybody out there willing to sell a key lock cylinder with original key?

:notworthy:

Trstno1
09-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Hey guys ~

I just wanted everyone to know that I have found a key cylinder with key. I should have it installed on the car soon.

Thanks,

:Headspin: