PDA

View Full Version : Wanted 5 to 15k price range, Florida buyers interested in a Delorean

MonkeyDLenny
09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone

For years my father and I have been interested in a Delorean. We've been on the hunt for one for years but haven't had much luck. I figured this would be the best place to go to look for one, for it seems almost all of the Delorean ads online are scams (Especially Craigslist).

I know cheap Deloreans aren't exactly a thing, but our price range is anywhere from 5 to 15k, and we understand the work and money that would go into restoring it. We're hoping really for anything located in or near Florida, and that it actually has an engine that turns over.

OverlandMan
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone

For years my father and I have been interested in a Delorean. We've been on the hunt for one for years but haven't had much luck. I figured this would be the best place to go to look for one, for it seems almost all of the Delorean ads online are scams (Especially Craigslist).

I know cheap Deloreans aren't exactly a thing, but our price range is anywhere from 5 to 15k, and we understand the work and money that would go into restoring it. We're hoping really for anything located in or near Florida, and that it actually has an engine that turns over.

You probably already read this but I'll reiterate regardless: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%93I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%94-or-%93Project-Car-Wanted%94-threads

For the upper-end of your budget, you should be able to find a running and driving car that needs some work. When I say driving take that with a grain of salt (ie: something you can minimally drive down the street a mile or two without going on a flatbed). My car fell into the upper-end of your budget and it's been off the streets for nearly 12 months. Sure it ran and drove when I got it but needed a lot and still does. I'm probably half-way through the known issues and I'm over 2 years into ownership.

I recently purchased a different classic car and approached it differently, looking for a car that was in top condition and needed virtually nothing. It really is instant satisfaction. I can take it to car shows and leisurely drives with piece of mind. Granted all these old cars regardless of their condition are truly fiddly. There's usually something to fix on them.

I'm not sure about Florida but nationwide I can recall several cars over the past several years that fit your budget. I wouldn't limit your search just to your local area. I'm in Dallas and bought my car from a seller in Arizona.

Shep
09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
First and foremost, welcome to the forums! Now on to the bad news...

our price range is anywhere from 5 to 15k [...] located in or near Florida [...] has an engine that turns over.What you're asking is dangerous territory here. I was much like you -- I just wanted a DeLorean that ran and drove for under $20K, with a gas flap hood. I know the specs are different, but listen carefully: while I found the car of my dreams (VIN 559) for sale a few weeks later, and bought it for $18,500, I literally paid 2-3 times the listing price to get it running! The seller said it ran, but it didn't. Very, very expensive lesson I learned two years ago and will be paying off for years to come!

So keep in mind: 15K for a running DeLorean is not going to happen. I know it's everyone's dream to have a DeLorean ('twas mine too, just like you), but keep this very important tip in mind: the more you invest on purchase, the less you'll invest in repairs. I went the exact opposite -- penny pinching on the purchase, and paid an arm and a leg for the repairs. If you want an engine that turns over, you're looking for upwards of $20,000 worldwide, and that's just the amount it'll take to get a DeLorean that'll power itself onto a trailer. In or near Florida isn't going to happen either, unless you manage to find one at Gulf Coast Motor Works (i.e. DMC Florida).

Also, having just bought a second in the higher end of your price range with an engine that turns by hand (but has not been started -- sign of a good dealership to know not to tempt fate), I can say with certainty two things: 1) if you save up $10,000 more and bump your budget up to $25,000, your options will drastically open up, and 2) until then, feel free to hang out here and get to know DeLoreans and their quirks more!

While this may disappoint you, trust me when I say that "you get what you pay for". The old adage is usually true! Best of luck in your search! :thumbup:

Lenny
09-08-2014, 07:41 PM
The first thing I'd do if I were you is go to DMC Florida in Bonita Springs and look at his inventory. The last time I was there he had almost 30 cars.

Bitsyncmaster
09-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Maybe 5 to 7 years ago you could find a running D for $15,000. Now it's more like $18,000 or more and that would be a car that needs work. You may be able to get running (drive it home) car if you can up your budget a little more and can keep looking for that good deal.

Too many people get the DeLorean that has been sitting a long time and loose interest and money not being able to drive it. Even if it needs a lot of work but drives, that lets you set little goals each year while you enjoy the car.

DMC-81
09-08-2014, 08:20 PM
The first thing I'd do if I were you is go to DMC Florida in Bonita Springs and look at his inventory. The last time I was there he had almost 30 cars.

+1

Even if you don't buy, being able to look at several Deloreans while you are looking for the right one for you is very valuable.

Nicholas R
09-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Where in Florida are you actually located?

Dangermouse
09-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Fwiw, with a little luck and a little patience, you should be able to get a basic driver in the high teens. Much lower than that and you will be offsetting mechanical repair against frame repair/replacement.

I'm sure you have been to our for sale section and seen what members are asking for their cars.

I think Sheps estimate of $40-60k to get it running is way too pessimistic. Completely depends on what state it is in and obviously on who is providing the labor.

But like all classic cars, buy the best you can afford.

ALEXAKOS
09-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Talk to Tony at DMC Florida in Bonita springs. I got my project delo from there for a fair price. You won't find a bargain there that is for sure. But you won't pay more than it's worth either. So it's a safe place.

Do some reading first and buy the delorean buyers guide.

Then keep Craig's list in mind but play safe. There are bargains out there but also real money pit traps. A delo may look great from the out side, but then again they rarely look bad. It's under the skin that costs a whole lot.

I would suggest to wait a few months more and raise your budget to at least 20k.
There you will have a good running delorean with minor fixes.

ALEXAKOS
09-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Oh, and don't think you can get away with a cheap buy like this
http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=5319

You are just fortunate to live in the US and especially in Florida where there are a couple good sources for used delorean parts.

Shep
09-09-2014, 05:04 AM
I think Sheps estimate of $40-60k to get it running is way too pessimistic. Completely depends on what state it is in and obviously on who is providing the labor. For what it's worth, that was my own personal experience with 559 getting frame-off restored at DPI, not how much it would actually take to get a second DeLorean in that price range running and drivable. Seeing as 537 is directly in that price range, hopefully she proves far cheaper in the short-term! :wrenchin:

Although my original point was that the more you invest up front, the less you invest down the road, which seems to be fairly common with these cars in my experience. Vendors in particular have gone through them with a fine-tooth comb and know about all the issues, so the way higher-end ones are generally far more reliable (and obviously further out of this guy's price range) than a fixer-upper for an even $20,000. The only issues I've had with the drivetrain were covered under warranty, and now that I legitimately would have to check to see what the warranty is and whether or not it's lapsed, all I need is an oil change. She's more reliable than my 2001 Civic was, but again, you get what you pay for. I went all-out and got all-out. For me, this works. Most guys in the DMC community don't have that luxury, this guy included.

Anyways, no harm, no foul, should've clarified that one. Thanks for pointing out my error! :thumbup:

EDIT: I can't seem to make that last sentence sound good or sincere, so keep in mind that it is 100% sincere -- I've gotta stop throwing my numbers out there without clarifying them like I did in this post. My apologies everyone! :)

Dangermouse
09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
No problem.

Having read your 559 thread when you were going through the resto, I recalled that you had spent a small fortune on it's total restoration, but your earlier post in this thread said "I literally paid 2-3 times the listing price to get it running!", (your italics), so I didn't want the OP to get discouraged that he will have a mountain to climb just to be able to drive the car round the block.

I absolutely agree with you that the more you spend up front, the less the total cost will be (assuming you don't get hosed in the initial purchase)

Shep
09-09-2014, 09:09 AM
your earlier post in this thread said "I literally paid 2-3 times the listing price to get it running!",(your italics)A-HA! So That's where my error has been all along. Thank you very much for that, I honestly never caught that typo before, and if memory serves, this is not the first thread I have posted similar wording in. Okay, so now I gotta go through my invoice again and figure out what all needed to be done to get it to actually run. Not, you know, engine bay touchup paint which that includes. Much, much appreciated! Thanks man! :thumbup:

No wonder that estimate keeps getting called pessimistic. Heh, whoops, sorry about that guys. Total oversight on my part.

MML
09-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Oh, and don't think you can get away with a cheap buy like this
http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=5319

What's the story with that car?

ALEXAKOS
09-09-2014, 09:19 AM

Unknown yet. Middle eastern car. Images posted on the eurotech forum.

DMCFL Tony
09-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the referral guys.

I have 20 DeLoreans in stock right now, 2 have deposits and are pending sale.

The best reason to visit as mentioned, is even if you don't buy here you will be able to see 20 cars in person and get a good education on all things DMC.

I have James DMC buyers guide in stock so you can pick up a copy and review many different cars.

Tony Ierardi
President
DMC Florida
239-495-8550

Rich
09-09-2014, 09:07 PM
+1

Excellent idea about seeing lots of D's there.

For all of you first-time DeLorean shoppers out there do get your hands on James Espey's buyers guide for DeLoreans as Tony suggests. It's very well done.

The best reason to visit as mentioned, is even if you don't buy here you will be able to see 20 cars in person and get a good education on all things DMC.

I have James DMC buyers guide in stock so you can pick up a copy and review many different cars.

SIMid
09-12-2014, 02:25 AM

The pic was posted by a Delorean fan on my Facebook page.

-------------------------------------

Faisal Alhomidy I was in the city impound cars yard 2 days ago , this place was locked for more than 20 years..

Like · Reply · September 9 at 1:15am · Edited

Faisal Alhomidy never went into VIN ..

Like · Reply · September 9 at 1:12am

Faisal Alhomidy Im thinking to buying it just to save this peace of art , i have KITT knight rider T.A in process & might get this out this graveyard.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · September 9 at 1:19am

Dan Stacey New project for Billy Tourette's Mitchell

Like · Reply · 2 · September 9 at 7:04am

Delorean 01955 Faisal, where did you find these pics?

Like · Reply · Commented on by Sim Id · September 8 at 10:23pm

Delorean 01955 very sad

Like · Reply · Commented on by Sim Id · September 8 at 3:49pm

Faisal Alhomidy Of course car was imported years ago ALISTAIR, for some wealthy oil owner i guess with BIG price ,scene this car is very rare & 80s famous .

Unlike · Reply · 1 · September 9 at 1:28am · Edited

Faisal Alhomidy Kuwait, Dubai and Oman !!! they should be known.

Like · Reply · September 9 at 1:12am

-------------------------------------------------

The copy/paste went all over the place! LOL

Sorry Tony, back to topic. :)

Shep
09-12-2014, 05:18 AM
The pic was posted by a Delorean fan on my Facebook page.That's VIN 1955?! Man alive, that thing is a trainwreck. I don't see it as anything but a parts car or (since it was mentioned) a resto project for a wealthy, who-gives-a-crap-about-money oil tycoon. That's just sad right there.

+1 on going to DMC FL. It's right near you, and you can get a good range of cars, from ones that are fully refurbished to ones that are just consignment deals waiting for a loving owner to fix them up. Might be worthwhile to see what kind of condition goes into what kind of price, and might give you an idea on a good budget. Or maybe even a VIN range you're looking for considering all the production changes. :)

Dangermouse
09-12-2014, 08:25 AM
No, it isn't 1955 (but good pun, nonetheless). The car in the photo hasn't been ID'd yet.

01955 is owned by SIMid above in Australia

Shep
09-13-2014, 12:41 PM
No, it isn't 1955 (but good pun, nonetheless). The car in the photo hasn't been ID'd yet.

01955 is owned by SIMid above in AustraliaOH! I saw 1955 in the chat log, and thought... er... :hmm:

I don't facebook, does it show? :)

(Didn't even catch the pun by the way, totally unintentional lol)

ALEXAKOS
09-17-2014, 05:41 AM

Just n update n that query
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/17/d555be9928722b9caa272284fe3ddbe0.jpg

Dangermouse
09-17-2014, 05:03 PM
they should close the hood so the dust doesn't get in the trunk.

Rich_NYS
09-17-2014, 05:49 PM
they should close the hood so the dust doesn't get in the trunk.

:hysterical:

DMCMW Dave
09-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised that nobody noticed the SU carburetors on it.

Dangermouse
09-18-2014, 08:30 AM

and the 2-liter gas tank.

ALEXAKOS
09-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Ehem!

Dangermouse
09-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Just n update n that query
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/17/d555be9928722b9caa272284fe3ddbe0.jpg

Now for sale for only $1k. No paperwork, though.

Cheapest DeLorean evAr.

Mind you, shipping from Saudi may be a bit of a logistical challenge :)

ALEXAKOS
09-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Now for sale for only $1k. No paperwork, though.

Cheapest DeLorean evAr.

Mind you, shipping from Saudi may be a bit of a logistical challenge :)

It us not the logistical challenge that worries me on that d..