PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Center console repair

Lightning
09-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I posted this on my restoration page but figure not everyone looks at the custom mod area so I'm posting here. A previous owner decided it would be fun to spray-paint the back of my center console silver and put a screw into the front area to hold the portion down by your foot closer. The screw pulled threw and left a nice hole.

Is it possible to get this recovered, keeping the grain and such, so I no longer have the hole? If not, any suggestions on how to restore the center console so it at least isn't spray painted silver in various spots?

Spray painted center console (http://imgur.com/a/jG8eX#59)
Hole in center console (http://imgur.com/a/jG8eX#60)

David T
09-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Go looking for vinyl restoration supplies on the Internet. You will find places to buy stuff to fix the hole and remove the spray paint. You may have to redye the entire interior to get it all to match. There are people who have old parts and you may be able to find another console cheaper than trying to fix this one up. Try Sheriff Bob. 919-477-7516

Nicholas R
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Just FYI, neither link goes to an individual photo. They both just take you to your massive imgur album that starts with cracked dash.

Lightning
09-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Nicholas: Must be something about your browser? I just tested both under Firefox and Chrome without issue.

Lightning
09-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Go looking for vinyl restoration supplies on the Internet. You will find places to buy stuff to fix the hole and remove the spray paint. You may have to redye the entire interior to get it all to match. There are people who have old parts and you may be able to find another console cheaper than trying to fix this one up. Try Sheriff Bob. 919-477-7516

I should have tried looking up repair info, didn't realize such a repair would be eady, for some reason I expected it to be difficult. It also appears the SEM 17333 can still be bought so I'll just redye everything as it is all sun baked.

TTait
09-09-2014, 02:10 PM
SEM makes good prep products that will help too - including vinyl repair kits. Check out their website.

T