PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 6

Lenny
09-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Well nobody else started this thread so I will.

Did anybody step up and order the new iPhone 6? I did, I ordered a 6 for my wife and a 6 plus for myself. I wanted the better camera, battery life and larger size. I demo a software app and the larger size will show better.

My wife will get hers this Friday 9/19. Mine is scheduled for 10/21.

Mark D
09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
meh.

I'm not really an apple guy so I tend to not really care about the latest iPhones much. The past few releases have seemed lacking in any major updates. Apple seems to have fallen behind when it comes to screen resolution and size so at least there is finally an upgrade there. I'll be saving my money and updating my Galaxy note III with the Note 4 when it is released.

alexwolf1216
09-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I was always an iPhone guy, but switched to Android with the Galaxy S3. I now have an S4, and the battery life really sucks. I preordered the 6+, but its an estimated October 10 arrival :rolleyes1:

DMCVegas
09-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Will be getting the 6 in the future. Wife wants the 6 Plus since it's no problem to have in a purse, but I need to ensure it'll fit in my pocket before I make the commitment.

Kina funny about the whole "lack of updates and innovation" arguments that always occur. I supposed it's due to small upgrades and improvements each time rather than overblown delays. Or simply because hating Apple is merely the "in-thing" to do. Improved screen resolution is nice too, but the pixels can't be individually identified by the human eye anyways, so what's the point? It's like having the worlds most powerful, fastest car ever, and then being stuck commuting in it. You have certain speed limits for road conditions, so what's the point of capabilities that you can't ever use? And of course I don't have to worry about the gobs of malware and security holes with an iPhone, so there's that... But I digress.

I have the 4S right now, so it's time for the upgrade, though I'll wait a while after the hype dies down. The 4G network coverage is getting worse as the bandwidth is being sacrificed for expansion of other services, so LTE is a nice change. The biggest things though are both the Pay feature, and I need a more powerful processor for CarPlay. Alpine is coming out with replacements, and Pioneer is already available but waiting on Apple to approve certification for the software release onto existing units they have.

I don't know if I will modify the D for a Double-DIN by moving the vents up, or if maybe someone will eventually release an external touch display ala the Mazda 3. My truck however is ready since it's already a Double-DIN. Given more and more laws against both calling, texting, or simply using any sort of electronics while driving, CarPlay is something that my vehicles need, as is a new iPhone to make it work.

Exolis
09-15-2014, 12:23 PM
About time they come out with a product to meet features of other phones such as WiFi calling and bigger screen size. Price tag is a bit steep but people will pay it.

Patrick C
09-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Ordered the 6 and should have it Friday. The size of the 6 Plus just seems way too impractical for a phone. But to each his own.

Kane
09-15-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm waiting for the Nexus 6 / Nexus X. (Curse you, Philip K. "can eat a dead" Dick)

refugeefromcalif
09-15-2014, 05:39 PM
CarPlay is something that my vehicles need, as is a new iPhone to make it work.

CarPlay? I know I should just Google this but, I'm *Thinking* about getting an iPhone 6 a few months from now.
As it is, my 4S works fine with the radio in my minivan. I can take calls hands free, listen to music from my phone via Bluetooth and whatnot.

George

Lenny
09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I have had an iPhone 4 since June 2010. I really need to upgrade. I didn't think the 4s, 5 or 5s was worth it.

If I wasn't demoing an application on the iPhone then I'd probably go with the 6 but the 6 Plus is the way to go for what I need now.

acaciolo
09-15-2014, 07:10 PM
iphone 6 64gb will be here on friday. I am one of the geeks that always has to have the newest one. but luckily, i've got 10 people in my company and someone always needs my hand me down! Looking forward to the bigger screen. Hopefully ios8 will continue to work with the jvc kamelon in the delorean!

SIMid
09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I have had an iPhone 4 since June 2010. I really need to upgrade. I didn't think the 4s, 5 or 5s was worth it.

We think on the same path and I presume you were saying wasn't worth it?

I really have to see the 6 and 6+ to make up my mind. 6+ would be good for sat nav as I don't have one in my car. The 4 was just a touch too small. But then as someone mentioned, will have to see if it will fit in my pocket. If it was back in the 80s, then yes with the baggy pants.

Nicholas R
09-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Ordered the 6 and should have it Friday. The size of the 6 Plus just seems way too impractical for a phone. But to each his own.

The iPhone 6 Plus could practically replace your iPad mini that you have in your dash!! Haha :biggrin: :wink:

andy blackmon
09-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Yep, I bit the bullet, forked over a fist full of moola and ordered the 6+. My phone was 4 years old and it was time to move up.
Andy B

LordFly
09-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Did anybody step up and order the new iPhone 6?

No, couldn't justify downgrade my S5 for such a crazy price ;)

Patrick C
09-16-2014, 09:10 PM
The iPhone 6 Plus could practically replace your iPad mini that you have in your dash!! Haha :biggrin: :wink:

Pretty close!!!

Dangermouse
09-17-2014, 05:04 PM
placed my order with our IT guy for a 128GB version, but it's already been knocked down to a 64 :(

ccurzio
09-17-2014, 08:04 PM
I paid full price for the 5S so I qualify for a subsidy on a new phone. I'm waiting to see how Apple Pay pans out before jumping on getting a 6, but it's a really exciting feature.

I've been using iOS 8 for months though. (I'm an ADC developer.)

spedlot
09-18-2014, 11:52 AM
I upgraded to 6 plus but it won't be here till November 1st it says. From att. I think it will be a good phone but it is a little big. I currently have a 5s with a mophie charger on it and it's the same size as the 6. Hopefully I won't regret the 6 plus with it being larger.

Sent from my time machine

SIMid
09-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Thanks China .....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/thousands-camp-out-in-cbd-overnight-for-new-iphone-6/story-fni0cx12-1227063489092?nk=e5b991c200a8c7e332e6a782391b47cb

louielouie2000
09-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I've been using iOS 8 for months though. (I'm an ADC developer.)

Do you think it's worth updating my 5S to iOS 8? When I updated my old 4 to iOS7 it made that phone so slow & glitchy. I don't want to go through that again, especially if this isn't a substantive change. I still have about a year left before I'm eligible for a phone upgrade, so I won't be getting an iPhone 6 anytime soon.

Alan
09-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I did. It seems a bit snappier, not slower. I also like the predictive text feature but it's taking a bit of time to get used to.

Timebender
09-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm waiting a few weeks to get a 6, as I've had a 4s since they came out, and don't want to wait in long lines, etc. I design apps, so it's also something that's required to have- and yes we have a Galaxy Note 2. My preference though is iPhones over Android, not so much for the device altogether, but the ecosystem Apple has created (all my photos, docs, music, etc. just work together - with iOS8 they've expanded on things that were missing as far as family sharing).

Timebender
09-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I ordered a 6 for my wife and a 6 plus for myself. I wanted the better camera,

You realize the camera is exactly the same in both devices, right? https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/cameras/

DMCVegas
09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
You realize the camera is exactly the same in both devices, right? https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/cameras/

Nope.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

acaciolo
09-22-2014, 01:49 PM
optical image stabilization is one of the big differences between the cameras. I still got the 6 though. the 6+ was just too big to use with my little hands.

tony

Lenny
09-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Nope.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

The 6 Plus has Optical Stabilization and Better Low Light.
http://www.cnet.com/videos/apple-iphone-6-vs-6-plus-camera-comparison/
http://www.ign.com/wikis/iphone/IPhone_6_vs_6_Plus_vs_5s_Comparison_Chart

Not much difference but I keep my phones for a while. I have had my iPhone 4 since June 2010, and I want any advantage I can. The camera differences weren't that great but Battery life and Size is the main reasons the rest secondary.

refugeefromcalif
09-22-2014, 07:09 PM
I went to my local AT&T store Saturday and bought an iPhone 6. After in hand comparisons of my 4s, (Have had a few years and Love), the 6, (bigger is better), and 6 plus, (Way too big), I went with a 128 GB 6.
Of course, the local store NEVER stocks the high end models so, I had to order it. After 7-14 business days I should have it in hand...

George

Timebender
09-22-2014, 07:16 PM
The 6 Plus has Optical Stabilization and Better Low Light.
http://www.cnet.com/videos/apple-iphone-6-vs-6-plus-camera-comparison/
http://www.ign.com/wikis/iphone/IPhone_6_vs_6_Plus_vs_5s_Comparison_Chart

Okay so I looked at the comparison link on Apple's site- don't know how I missed that. :(

BUT, it's interesting to me how the reviews say the plus is better low light, when according to Apple's site, the 6 and 6 plus have the same aperture, as well as same imager...

Wish it the 6 plus would fit in my pocket.

delornut
09-24-2014, 07:20 PM
I did. It seems a bit snappier, not slower. I also like the predictive text feature but it's taking a bit of time to get used to.

I like being able to see which apps are using the most battery power.

SIMid
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Anyone tried bending their phone yet?

ssaleen
09-24-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't know but I just got the 6 a couple days ago and it's better then I thought it was gonna be!!
The thumb print password is pretty cool!

refugeefromcalif
09-26-2014, 08:05 PM
I picked up my iPhone 6 today. :race:
I got home, backed up my 4s so I could restore it to the 6 and found out I don't have the "Latest" version of iTunes that would recognize the 6? :mad:
Funny thing, my laptop Won't let me update iTunes to the latest version because of a Glitch in my previous attempt to update iTunes...

iTunes Sucks! (But the iPhone 6 is kinda Cool).

George

SIMid
10-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Anyone bent their 6+ yet?

mluder
10-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Anyone bent their 6+ yet?

It appears that Apple received a total of 9 complaints about bent phones so odds are it's unlikely that anyone on this forum is one of them.
For what it's worth, I have a friend who works at Apple and they saw all kinds of bent iPhone 4 and 5 so it's nothing new.

Timebender
10-03-2014, 05:16 PM
A co-worker brought in his 6 and 6 plus, as he's a dev and needs both (and gets to write them off). I tried the 6 plus in my jeans front pocket, and it fit nicely, and I could sit down without bending it - though had I been wearing skinny jeans, put it in my back pocket, and had a big butt, then I could've bent it I guess.

And now I HATE my co-worker as I was fine with the thought of getting the 6 and calling it a day. But the 6 plus is SO gorgeous, and as posted earlier, has the optical image stabilizer, longer battery life and so forth, which will put me $200 out of pocket for the 64 gig vs. $100..

Now to get ready to shoot a sci-fi western on it. :) (No, not BTTF III or Firefly...).

Lenny
10-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Well, I finally got my phone. I pre-ordered my wife an iPhone 6 and I ordered a iPhone 6 Plus. She got hers on the first day and my said it would be delivered October 21st. I checked a week later and it had changed till October 17th. Last Sunday I got an email saying that it shipped. It was delivered last Tuesday, however I was in Denver and didn't get it until I got home at 11:00 PM last night. I tried to talk my wife into FedEx'ing it to me in Denver but she wouldn't do it. She told me to wait till I got home, of course why would she, she has hers ;)

I've held it in the store and it felt big but, but after using it for the last 12 hours I'm already accustomed to it. I like the larger screen it makes webpages easier to read. I'm coming from an iPhone 4 I bought in June 2010 so this is a big difference. I can't believe how fast it is both within apps on the phone and download speed. Using LTE I'm getting 30MB down and 11 MB up. It's faster than my WIFI network in the house.

The only problem is I couldn't find an otterbox case for it, they are not out yet. I went on amazon and got a heavy duty "Armorbox I-Blason" case but it doesn't have a belt clip.
http://www.amazon.com/Armorbox-i-Blason%C2%AE-Protector-Protection-Reduction/dp/B00M0RDH7E/ref=sr_1_4?m=A209HAH4Z0MGU9&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1412438957&sr=1-4

GS450-Junkie
10-04-2014, 11:09 PM
I can't see always spending the money on the latest and greatest. I just don't get it. Seems trendy. Why buy the 6, when the 7 will always be right around the corner kind of thing. I will give Apple credit, they certainly know how to advertise. As far as phones and quality...who knows. As long as it works I guess. Does my steak really taste better on a Weber vs. a GrillMaster? Who knows.....

mluder
10-05-2014, 01:58 AM
I can't see always spending the money on the latest and greatest. Why buy the 6, when the 7 will always be right around the corner kind of thing.

If you play that game at what point do you pull the trigger and buy anything? There will always be a faster, bigger, smaller, brighter, etc right around the corner.
When you're standing in front of the apples at the supermarket at what point do you decide which bunch you're going to buy? If you just keep digging you might find a better one... next thing you know they're all over the floor and you have none.

Tappdarden
10-05-2014, 05:04 AM
I can't see always spending the money on the latest and greatest. I just don't get it. Seems trendy. Why buy the 6, when the 7 will always be right around the corner kind of thing.

I don't think a year is "just around the corner"

Also, buying something just as it comes out will maximize its useful life span.

Look at Lenny. Going from an iPhone 4 to an iphone 6+ is a BIG jump. an iPhone 4 is near its end of usefulness. You could instead get the cheapest model. Last year that would be the 4(8GB) which can't run iOS8. this year would be the 4s(8GB) but i doubt it will be able to run whatever OS comes out next year. And as you use a device that doesn't get updated you start to run into .. issues. more and more over time. Also, those disk sizes are tiny.

If you try to use one of the first android phones most of it will be unusable. It seems strange but a lot of the functionality of the phone is backed by services provided by Google and others. and they simply don't have those services anymore. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/building-android-a-40000-word-history-of-googles-mobile-os/
I would bet a smiler case could be made for the iOS devices. But i didn't have a source on that...

So I don't think you can get on his case for buying the latest and greatest. He's going to be able to use this phone for years. He's doing a reasonable thing.

RammJaeger
10-05-2014, 07:44 AM
I can't see always spending the money on the latest and greatest. I just don't get it. Seems trendy. Why buy the 6, when the 7 will always be right around the corner kind of thing. I will give Apple credit, they certainly know how to advertise. As far as phones and quality...who knows. As long as it works I guess. Does my steak really taste better on a Weber vs. a GrillMaster? Who knows.....

Yeah no doubt. It's like, why would anyone have bought a stainless steel car in 1981, when for all they know in 1982 they would be made out of titanium? :)