PDA

View Full Version : ...so im thinking about selling my car

Mike C.
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Every once in a while, everyone gets the idea to sell your car. Lately, it's been my idea too. Everyone says that you should store a car for a bit, or not drive it, walk away, and enjoy it again later.

I only drive my car about 5 months out of the year, and have no problems with it. I haven't touched it in a while, took it out last week, and just seem to be bored with it.

I covered it back up, and started thinking, "do i REALLY enjoy the car? Am I having fun with this car?" Maybe because its so bloody hot out, but even in the evenings I used to jump in the car and take it for a quick spin around town, just to keep the juices flowing. Lately all i do is start it up every week and let it run so the gas doesn't get stale and the fluids can move.

Lately, I really miss going fast. I know some people give lectures about how speed is relative, speeding is bad, blah blah blah, but that's how i grew up. I've never owned cars this slow until the last 10 years, and I can say im not enjoying the driving experience like I used to. I used to love going to an empty stretch of road and just nailing 120, and just letting the car slowly idle back down to highway speeds. I guess you can say i miss the rush.

I've seen a couple of cars that i have been interested in, are easily moddable, and will shred tires like a fun car should.

Yes, there is fun in DeLorean ownership, but along the line, tastes change. Adventure is always a good thing, and so should driving. Forget all about car clubs, hangouts, etc... Im at the point where I am still trying to find the motivation to just keep the car. Yes, there's always the fear of regretting the sale, but you can't live life worrying about the could've, would've, should've.

I dunno... just something that's been on my mind for a while.

jmrydholm
08-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I thought about selling mine for a while as well. I've put a ton into repairing it, and it's still a long way from decent-looking or running perfectly. But I talked with my fiancee about it (as I was more than willing to trade it in for a down payment on a house for her) and she didn't want me to part with it. The more I realize how much I've been shelling into 10715, the more I love the old girl. She's been a pain in my backside for 7 years now, but totally worth it. I probably would make more keeping the car and eventually fixing it and selling it, or giving it to my kids in the future. I look at my dad when he got a 220D Mercedes back in the early, early 70's and he had that car until about 2000. He liked that car a lot and tried his best to take care of it. Unfortunately the Mercedes ended up rusting through the frame and I could see the driveway back then! But yeah, I'm gonna live the dream as long as possible, it's a lot of fun. And I do appreciate that darn, old, fragile, constantly-breaking, steel lemon. :)

-John
Missouri

Michael
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Mine is always for sale...at the right price.

Ozzie
08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I burned my speed fix years ago, I like the D for what it is, a cruiser and I really like how mine is currently configured and used, so it still works for me.

....so thinking through your post above, I am surprised at this response that I am about to give you, which is:

Sell it.

As I have come to know you, it really makes the most sense for you. If you crave handling and HP, ain't no feasible upgrade path available to a D, that'll get you the even the stock performance (and safety) of a more modern car.

Use the proceeds of the sale to get into a SupraMk4, Ellise, etc. That's been an itch that you've had a for a while, and you'll get much more use, and more versatility of use, out of those cars than you do out of your D.

Life's short, bud; as long as as its feasible to do, keep reaching for your dreams.

Mike C.
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I burned my speed fix years ago, I like the D for what it is, a cruiser and I really like how mine is currently configured and used, so it still works for me.

....so thinking through your post above, I am surprised at this response that I am about to give you, which is:

Sell it.

As I have come to know you, it really makes the most sense for you. If you crave handling and HP, ain't no feasible upgrade path available to a D, that'll get you the even the stock performance (and safety) of a more modern car.

Use the proceeds of the sale to get into a SupraMk4, Ellise, etc. That's been an itch that you've had a for a while, and you'll get much more use, and more versatility of use, out of those cars than you do out of your D.

Life's short, bud; as long as as its feasible to do, keep reaching for your dreams.

That's why Ozzie's my friend... he knows me oh too well... LOL!

In a perfect world, i'd love to just shove the car into a warehouse and dig it back out every now and then... but sometimes it's nice to just have the funds for something else, like a house, or to head to europe for a spell, or get another stupidly fast car.

But, I also think about all the work i've done to it, and ditching it would be a shame to an extent.

dmc6960
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Mine is always for sale...at the right price.

And my right price is the car's indicated mileage. Should be worth over $120,000 by now, but due to multiple speedometer issues over several different years its currently stuck at about $107,500. Thats a hell of a deal! Someone should buy my car quick before I get it fixed!

sdg3205
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
But, I also think about all the work i've done to it, and ditching it would be a shame to an extent.

List it for your ideal price and wait it out. As long as you're not in a crunch for cash (and it doesnt sound like you are) you'll feel good just knowing you've made up your mind and are moving forward. At some point, someone will probably pay what you want for it.

DMC3165
08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
For what its worth I've owned a lot of different cars. Old musclecars, (65 gto, 77 trans am)and newer ones, (mustang cobra, z28 camaro, 04 gto, Lexus is) of all the cars I ever had NONE were as special as the DeLorean. I know because I sold it once before. After that I spent years looking for it. In the end luckily it found me and I've never been happier being in this car.

I'd walk away for a bit and think about it. You may not find a nice one again.

opethmike
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
If you do sell, seriously consider Ozzie's suggestion of a Lotus Elise. I've driven one a few times, and they really absolutely incredible cars to drive.

08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
There's a company in the UK that removes your eng. puts in another PRV with a turbo and they claim the car will do 0-60 in 6 sec. Not fast like present day Mustang, Camaro or Vette fast but fast as hell for a "D". I can find the link if you want it.

If you wait a couple of years I'll have the cash to buy yours.

opethmike
08-05-2011, 03:27 PM
There's a company in the UK that removes your eng. puts in another PRV with a turbo and they claim the car will do 0-60 in 6 sec. Not fast like present day Mustang, Camaro or Vette fast but fast as hell for a "D". I can find the link if you want it.

If you wait a couple of years I'll have the cash to buy yours.

Too bad the installation has to be done in England, and is VERY expensive.

Dangermouse
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
The only person I can think of is Martin, but I don't think that's what he does.

You would be better sending it to DPI, if that was your bent

Mike C.
08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I honestly dont think upgrading a D would ever put me at the level of performance I would honestly be happy with.

The D is fun for what it is, as Ozzie described it, a cruising car... but that just isn't as satisfying to me as it used to be. For the $$, the performance gains just aren't enough to satisfy me when it comes to output and $$.

Im not looking to re-live glory days or anything like that, I just think sometimes i'd be happier with a more well rounded performance car, or even sell it off and put a hell of a down payment on a new car, if i decide to not do another project car.

Michael
08-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Now that I'm on a laptop and not a phone I'll plug my 2cents in.

I have only been an owner for less than 3 years. I usually keep a car for around 4 years before I get the urge to sell it. To be honest, I have considered selling my car and getting something a bit more "yuppiesque" (like a BMW M3)....but only for a fleeting moment, then I realize that any new fancy car I buy will be worth half as much in a few years.

Here is what makes my Delorean different, it's my dream car. With almost every car I have owned, I woke up that morning not realizing I was going to be buying a car later that day. I just come across great deals from time to time in my work and snag them, and end up driving that car for a while. With the Delorean it was different....(although I did get a phenomenal deal on it), It was the first car that I was truly excited about owning. I felt like a 18 year old kid the night before I got it, and while I normally suppress those adolescent emotions, I indulged myself on this one. It was also the most expensive car I ever bought. Until then, the most I had ever spent on a car was around 6k.

I just got finished going over my car for a cruise in tonight and even after 2.5 years of ownership, I still am just so impressed with the shape of this car. The stainless finish, the contours, the 70's era styling, even the history just makes this car so attractive to me,...but the thing that makes it special is this is the first car I have owned that I actually "pined" for. I know that maybe someday, I may want something else, but I don't know of another car that has really spoken to me like this one does....especially for under 6 figures.

So, my advice is to really ask yourself is if it's the car that's bringing you down, or something else. If it is indeed the car, then don't let your emotions get in the way. I know that when I was riding motorcycles quite regularly, I realized that I fell out of love with riding. I decided to stick with it, but at the end of that year I had only put 3k on my bike, and I knew that I needed to sell my motorcycle. It was hard seeing my VFR800 speed away under a new owner that would not love or take care of it half as much as I did, but I knew it was the right choice. That was over 3 years ago and I have never missed it, not even once.

You might have guessed by now but I get somewhat attached to my vehicles(against my better judgement). I just recently sold my Honda Accord that I loved so, and I was so sad to see her go. I think I put so much time and effort(and money) in my vehicles, I make an imaginary bond with them which really amounts to a small hill of beans. Getting emotionally attached to machines is rubbish, and pointless. Bonds are for people, not cars. So keep your emotions out of the picture and let logic make your choice...what will ultimately make you happy?

TheDutchTexan
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Bonds are indeed for people, and not for mechanical things. Sadly I am too guilty of forming an emotional bond with my cars. It started out with my Peugeot 305 and 405 in the Netherlands, and is still going strong with my mustang.

It does mean that the 305 and the 405 are long gone. And it is surprisingly easy to let go after the sale is made. I still look on the Dutch auction sites for 305's and 405's, mainly the models I could not afford at the time (305GTX and 405MI16 / T16). That comes with the territory of having owned vehicles you cared about, and loved.

I have made some irrational decisions by keeping the 405, even though it had a problem that caused me to pay a 1000 euros on maintenance the last year I had it. Incidentally the last year I was in the Netherlands. In the end I paid an average of 400 euros per year on that cars maintenance, which for an old car is not too bad. That last year however, should have moved me to sell instead of replace. I did not need the vehicle, used my vintage 1970 moped to go to and from work if I didn't feel like riding the bicicle. But I loved it, was part of the 405 club... I couldn’t get rid of it. I ended up donating her to my parents, and they drove it for a couple of years before getting rid of her for something smaller and more economical.

I don't want to get rid of my mustangs (the wife has a convertible). But our baby needs a 4 door. The wife said she'll give hers up, which she really doesn't want to do. I'd give up mine, but it has suffered a minor hit which will affect resale value due to it being reported to car fax. I will keep it till it is no longer feasible, or restore it back to new condition in 15 years if she lasts. It was the car I got my drivers license in (US mind you, I have had my NL for years). The car that is in our wedding photos and the car I drove our daughter home in from the hospital. Also the car I drove the wife to the hospital in. So yeah, every right to be attached right? But I won't let it come to financial ruin. If I can't justify a few thousand in repairs because the car is too old, or is the proverbial ticking time bomb, she will have to go.

A DeLorean is something on my list to get in my life. And it will cost, and continue to cost down the line when I have one. But since it will be a 3rd car she can sit if there is something majorly wrong.

A DeLorean will never be what you want it to be. She was designed to be a cruiser. Yes, there are performance updates, and she can get reasonably quick. But if hooning is what you want I would get rid of the DeLorean and get a Mustang / Challenger / Camaro with a V8. They are a dime a dozen, but are quick, have huge aftermarket scenes and maybe most importantly; You will never be asked where the flux capacitor is.

To me it's part of the DeLorean appeal. Yes you will get the coke and bttf jokes. Yes, a corolla will out drag you. But side by side the DeLorean looks like a million bucks. And will look for a million bucks till the day I pass and leave it to my kids. Unless I sell it down the line because I have to. Unless I never even own a DeLorean because my family comes first and I can't justify getting one.

louielouie2000
08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
It sounds like you're experiencing DeLorean burnout, Mike. I have been there myself. I sold my car, and honestly did not miss it one iota for a few years. If selling the car feels like the right thing to do, just do it. It's not like there aren't more out there. They really aren't going to become $100k cars overnight either. Their prices pretty much just stay in line with inflation. I know what you're going through: I got to the point where I realized the car ruled me. It owned my bank account, my free time, and my identity. I wanted all those things back, at least for a while. So sell the stainless steel leach and focus on other things for a while. If you come back to DeLoreans, great. If not, you at least have a cool (if maddening) life experience under your belt. They're just cars, nothing more.

DMCMW Dave
08-05-2011, 08:04 PM
... It owned my bank account, my free time, and my identity. I wanted all those things back, at least for a while. .

And you're still here!!!

Dracula
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
My opinion; take it for what it's worth:

You post here that you're interested in selling the car, yet from your own posts and comments you've made, you are well aware that this community sees the cars through rose-colored glasses and will ALWAYS discourage people from parting with their cars or modifying them. Yet, despite this knowledge, you post here. I see you get some support for selling it, some for keeping it, and most saying that its your choice.

You may find this to be an odd suggestion from me, but I say you should sell it. A DeLorean will always have the same pros and cons; when the cons start to outnumber the pros, then it's not longer a good fit for you. I've personally spent a small fortune trying to make my DeLorean closer to my beloved Cadillacs and, yet, I know this will never be. That's why I have multiple cars. There are times when a DeLorean just isn't the right car.

To give you an example; car shows. I used to take the DeLorean to them, clean her up to sparkle, and obsess over winning an award (One of my dreams in life is to take first with the DeLorean at a car show where I'm NOT the only entrant) but now I'll take either my Dodge or Cadillac. I can leave either of those cars and WALK AWAY to look at the other cars without having to play babysitter. It reminded me of what I love about car shows in the first place.

If you want things that the DeLorean just can't do, buy a car that works for you. There will be plenty that come up for sale afterwards, should you decide that you made the wrong choice. In the end, I think you'll be happier if you sell the car and find a better match. After all, you won't know if you don't take a chance.

louielouie2000
08-05-2011, 11:38 PM
And you're still here!!!

Indeed... the DeLorean bug is fatal. I sold my car in late '05 and did take 2-3 years off from the community. It's not that I don't want another one again, I just know that the timing still isn't right for me. When I have the spare time, spare cash, and spare patience/wisdom that age brings, I'll own DeLoreans again. I'm just still not there yet! :giddy: I just sense Mike is going through what I did a 5-6 years back, and needs a break before the car breaks him. :smashfreak:

Bitsyncmaster
08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Owning a D has one thing most other cars can't come close to. That is the enjoyment of sharing your experiences with other D owners. It seems D owners have a lot in common in the way we think and act. Not sure if you will get that with another classic car.

Mike C.
08-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Of course I was expecting to get some of the "hold onto it for ever and ever" replies, but the reason i posted the thread was for reasons just like what Ozzie and Louie gave, trying to keep things in perspective.
Louie has been in my shoes before when it comes to what im thinking, so it makes a lot of sense. Im not saying im done with the D community, as i was on this board YEARS before I ever had a car.... it has to do with the material car itself, whether or not I want to keep it or move on, and what are the reasons people have held onto, or are holding onto their cars, and on the same coin the reason for selling the cars.

louielouie2000
08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
The problem with just putting the car aside is eventually you'll feel guilty and go back to it before you're really ready to deal with it's nonsense. I know I tried keeping my DeLorean at my parents house 2.5 hours away when I got burned out. That'd last for a while, then I'd go get it and get sucked back into the madness all over again.

I've said before that I wish I wouldn't have sold mine. But when I really think about it, that's not true at all. Selling the car allowed me to actually live life for a few years. I was finally able to afford to go on vacations, go out to eat nice meals, hang out with friends more, stuff like that. THAT'S where life is. Not constantly nursing a 30 year old car which stays on perma life support. :giddy:

Again, it's not that I don't ever want a DeLorean again. I very much do. I just know it's not the right time for me to own one at this moment. Sounds like you're in similar shoes.

nullset
08-07-2011, 02:36 AM
I say you just buy another one….

(if you think running one delorean is expensive…..)

It works for me anyway!

Iznodmad
08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Just my luck. An owner moving to my neck of the woods, and he wants to sell his car. Oh well.

DCUK Martin
08-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I originally sold #1458 because I realised it was worth a lot more than I'd paid for it and there was another itch I needed to scratch: A Venturi Atlantique 300 - and the "right one" turned up at exactly the right time.

Pity it turned out to be a complete bugger to look after, even if it did go like shit off a shovel. A well sorted DeLorean is so much nicer to drive than most things I've owned. My Alpine A610 was nice to drive but cheaply made and another utter bar-steward to work on.

I can make DeLoreans go much faster within, as I see it, the realms of what's acceptable to the marque - PRV, no permanent mods etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've yet to drive another car that's as exclusive, comfortable, surprising and unique as a DeLorean. It's just a shame they're not fast enough :D

(ps my conversion is not very expensive... it's very close to the cost of a Stage 2 from Ed in the Netherlands - to you guys having to factor in the shipping costs it gets pricey).

Morpheus
08-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I figure I should chime in here as well...

I've known you for quite a few years now, and during that time we have worked on more than a few DeLoreans together. I consider you to be one of my best friends, not just in the D community, but in life as well.

When I sold my first car, I was happy to be rid of the constant drain on my wallet. I would get my D fix from time to time @ tech gatherings and shows, and that satisfied me for a while. Eventually, the urge to dive into another restoration overcame me and I got into another car. I'm certain that I will have moments of sheer frustration that will make me want to sell, just like I'm certain that after a cooling off period I'll be in love again. If anything, my D experience has taught me that these cars are a cyclical kind of love.

Like it or not, you will always be a part of the D community. Whenever you visit Orlando, there will never be a shortage of Ds in line waiting for your expertise. If the car isn't giving you the same joy it once did, then you should consider selling it and putting that money into something that will give you that joy. You said it yourself: it's just a cruiser and you really want to go fast.

You only get one ride on this roller coaster called life, sometimes it's best to change seats during the slow parts every once in a while to amp up the excitement a little.

Evildeli
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
It's been a little while so I was wondering what you're feelings are now on selling, Mike.

Mike C.
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
More SERIOUS about selling at this point. Starting talks with a friend to buy it.

sean
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Not to sound unsympathetic or anything but what are the stats on your car? Realistic selling price consideration?

Mike C.
08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Sean, you unsympathetic bastard! :D

1983 5spd Manual, interior converted from gray to black 31,197 miles
Light gray carpet
New dash
New glove box lid
New Binnacle
New Steering Wheel
New black seat covers
Clarion video display unit
6" Midrange kick panel speakers
4" tweets in dash
6" 3 ways in a custom back board (still have factory board as well)
FL (barely) legal tint
SS shifter ball
New shift boot
New window switches
New silicone outer door seals
New headliners
New trunk gasket
new trunk finishing strips
New fuel pump
New cooling fans from Toby Peterson
New Chevy Lumina alternator
New trunk carpet
Silverstar low and high beams
full LED conversion
New pulleys
New windshield
New A-Pillars
New sidestripe
New clutch master and slave
new brake master
Marty Maier new oil pressure sending unit

Still have: 90% of the new ac system (134a) in my living room (lines and condenser were out of stock), including new 134 compressor

new grounding cables from Hervey yet to be installed

Issues with the car: The AC hasn't been done yet (hence why it's in my living room), and there's a non-creased pressure dent in my drivers door that i've never had pulled out because honestly it's not bad and I just dont have time to do it.

Asked 17,500 firm including all parts for the AC. Drips nothing, leaks nothing. Runs and drives just dandy. Just did an oil change, and that was clean. Planning on cooling system flush shortly.

Damn... after listing all this shit, I may be nuts for selling it...

Morpheus
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, after seeing that list I'm starting to remember all the work we have done on your car.

Whoever gets this one for that price is getting a deal and a half.

Morpheus
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
More SERIOUS about selling at this point. Starting talks with a friend to buy it.

Hacker?

Mike C.
08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow, after seeing that list I'm starting to remember all the work we have done on your car.

Whoever gets this one for that price is getting a deal and a half.

It IS scary. It's been alot of fun, but honestly with med programs, the funds would be better right now.

Hacker?

Who? what? um... hmmmm...

Chris Burns
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Car sounds like it's in great shape Mike! Some good Deloreans have been coming up for sale lately.

xjoshsmallx
08-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I see cars every now and again that make me say "Wow, that's one of a kind".
The DeLorean, even though there were 9000 built almost the same has every little difference to me. That is why in my opinion I'd say not to sell it because it's that special little something you have that not many other do.
But, then again, if you cannot appreciate it like you once did, pull the woman act. (you know, where you leave a girl, and then a month later you say, "shit, what was I thinking?") You'll realize after all the time, & money put into it, countless problems you face with it, in the end you'll know if you made the right choice. It will either be worth it or not, no in between.

But in all seriousness, If you don't appreciate it like you once did, let some one else have a go at it.

sean
08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Sean, you unsympathetic bastard! :D

Damn... after listing all this shit, I may be nuts for selling it...

:evil3:

Chris Burns
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
The DeLorean, even though there were 9000 built almost the same has every little difference to me. That is why in my opinion I'd say not to sell it because it's that special little something you have that not many other do.
But, then again, if you cannot appreciate it like you once did, pull the woman act. (you know, where you leave a girl, and then a month later you say, "shit, what was I thinking?") You'll realize after all the time, & money put into it, countless problems you face with it, in the end you'll know if you made the right choice. It will either be worth it or not, no in between.

But in all seriousness, If you don't appreciate it like you once did, let some one else have a go at it.

+1

08-19-2011, 06:03 PM
OK just saw the asking price, you have any photos I can see? Frame, inside, body etc.. Yours is somewhat less tahn ideal for me but you never know if a deal can be struck.

Mike C.
08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Car sounds like it's in great shape Mike! Some good Deloreans have been coming up for sale lately.

Thanks a bunch, Chris! Most FL members have seen my car's progress, and most have helped on it in one form or another. It's made the trip to orlando and back a few times now, down to miami and back a few times, so im pretty confident in its condition. It's been entered at Celebration in 2011 (unjudged, because I don't judge my own car) and Lake Mirror in 2010, which was the first real outing since gutting the interior.

Josh, you pretty much hit the nail on the head about regrets and so on, which is why the person I'm working with on possibly buying it is who I want to have it... since he's basically my little brother. We're in talks that after im done financially with school, I can buy the car back.

OK just saw the asking price, you have any photos I can see? Frame, inside, body etc.. Yours is somewhat less tahn ideal for me but you never know if a deal can be struck.

I'll post some before, during, and after pics in an album tonite and put the link up here.

xjoshsmallx
08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Josh, you pretty much hit the nail on the head about regrets and so on, which is why the person I'm working with on possibly buying it is who I want to have it... since he's basically my little brother. We're in talks that after im done financially with school, I can buy the car back.

Oh, well than I see it being more of an ease to part with.
You also have a valid point, Priorities come first. Better to sell the dmc now and buy one or (it) back later than to have to sell it later and not be able to afford buying another at all.
It'll be a bummer regardless if it does go to another because it seems you've put a lot of time and effort in to that car.

Hope you find a choice and are happy with what ever outcome.
Hope all is well,
-Josh.

louielouie2000
08-19-2011, 10:07 PM

I've got the same 'agreement' going with the guy who bought #5252 from me 5 years ago. He's always said since day 1 that if I want the car back, it's mine. He lets me come visit the car and drive it anytime I want. Pat even found me on Facebook and drops me a line every once in a while letting me know how the car is. I'd love to have the car back, but the time has not come for that yet. It's pretty comforting having the car go to someone who you know and that you always have the option of getting your "child" back. :thumbup: