PDA

View Full Version : Eibach... attack!!

sdg3205
10-05-2014, 02:20 AM
To date I've tried, driven and installed various combinations and permutations of shocks and springs, from eibach, to spax, to OEM and even martins from over seas.

I've recently installed the DMCH eibach springs on my latest project car, but I've found it sits exactly like factory, albeit a few inches lower at the front and back. The result is the same "attack" or "dog back on his haunches" stance with the back lower than the front. It does look a bit better than bone stock, but still unbalanced. I'm just running the OEM girlings, so I can't adjust anything which is the problem.

I think I'll reinstall the rear OEM springs to balance the car back out and just include the rear eibachs in the sale of the car. The new owner can update the shocks if they see fit.

Anyone else experience this?

Edit - I should add that the back is low enough for the axles to caress the dust shields ever so gently :)

Gfrank
10-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Might be a silly question, but Did you lossen and re tighten control arms bolts after the springs settled? If you didn't, or tighten them with the spring at full travel, the bushing will hold the car up

My fronts low, but I will say my ass ends a touch lower then I would like to be even

sdg3205
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I leave the front suspension "loose" to avoid pre load. When I'm ready, I drop the front on to ramps and let it sit over night then sit on the fenders a few times before torquing to spec. The front is adequate, but the back is too low.

rdarlington
10-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I replaced just the two front springs. Bought em from PJ Grady. They were expensive for being bare metal, but even with powder coating it was still cheaper than buying a set of 4. Basically $200+ ship + powder coat was over $300. A rattle can would've been sufficient and could be done for about $250 delivered.

I saw very little difference the first day. After the 100 mile drive home from my buddy's shop it was noticeably lower. After a month of settling in, it looked perfect. The front dropped by about two inches over that time period. It looks right.

-Bob

Gfrank
10-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I leave the front suspension "loose" to avoid pre load. When I'm ready, I drop the front on to ramps and let it sit over night then sit on the fenders a few times before torquing to spec. The front is adequate, but the back is too low.

Aw gotcha, when I first read it I thought u had ment your front was still at stock height
My ass still sits a bit low , I plan to run the adjustable rears in my other car

Rich
10-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I like the title of this thread! Creative.

a. When I went to DMCH Eibachs I got the expected results, not what you are reporting. But I am running DMCH no-name rear adj.-height shocks.
b. You didn't mistakenly put install the front/rear Eibachs in reverse positions, right? After all of your D experience you surely know the tall ones go in back...

What are the clearances at front and rear crossmembers on your car now? With OE tire size/pressure, ~full tank and no load in the car.

DL4567
10-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I've recently installed the DMCH eibach springs on my latest project car, but I've found it sits exactly like factory, albeit a few inches lower at the front and back. The result is the same "attack" or "dog back on his haunches" stance with the back lower than the front. It does look a bit better than bone stock, but still unbalanced. I'm just running the OEM girlings, so I can't adjust anything which is the problem.

Anyone else experience this?

Yep, exact same experience.

When I first got my car, I had DMCH put Eibach springs on it (it had Girling shocks which stayed). I was happy with the lower stance, but just like you, found the rear to be sitting too low. The rear tires looked awfully close to the fender flares as well.

A few years later I changed out the shocks to adjustable ones and actually brought the back end *UP* about 1/2." Now it looks more level. So it seems like while the Eibach springs are nice quality, they pretty much need to be coupled with adjustable rear shocks.

ed uding
10-06-2014, 03:47 PM
The fact is Delorean did have 3 different hight, You can find on the fiber body a orange sticker with a letter B C or no sticker. It is most hidden behind the impact absorber.
This was in the factory a indication what spring they neat for the body.
Stock springs have yellow marking, red markings, and springs with out marking.
A small help it the remove the plug on top of your brake reservoir, if the cap hit the rubber you have a low body if the cap is a 1.5 inch deep you have the hi body.

Regards Ed Uding
www.delorean.eu

sdg3205
10-07-2014, 02:10 AM
The fact is Delorean did have 3 different hight, You can find on the fiber body a orange sticker with a letter B C or no sticker. It is most hidden behind the impact absorber.
This was in the factory a indication what spring they neat for the body.
Stock springs have yellow marking, red markings, and springs with out marking.
A small help it the remove the plug on top of your brake reservoir, if the cap hit the rubber you have a low body if the cap is a 1.5 inch deep you have the hi body.

Regards Ed Uding
www.delorean.eu

Wow, i totally just learned something new!

Where is the height made on the bodies? obviously the bodies can't be bigger/taller than others?

Also, what is the order of height from low to high? nothing, B and C respectively?

Tillsy
10-07-2014, 05:40 PM

This finally explains why my rubber plug is so hard to force over my brake reservoir cap!

ed uding
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Wow, i totally just learned something new!

Where is the height made on the bodies? obviously the bodies can't be bigger/taller than others?

Also, what is the order of height from low to high? nothing, B and C respectively?

The height depend on the body, it rust on the front and rear shock tower.
This is the point where is start to get deferent, putt some body on a fat ground and you see the difference between theme.
And yes there are difference in wide to 0.5 inch if what we have see in the shop. Not 110% shore but if you have a wide one, you have less to 0 eye brows on that car.

Regards Ed