PDA

View Full Version : Engine Motor Mounts - Strength

Josh
10-06-2014, 03:58 AM
So i am in the initial stages of a engine swap to an engine of greater power! However i am trying to retain as much delorean specific parts as possible for ease of maintenance.

I just purchased new mounts a year ago so i was planning on reusing them. So my question is would the prv motor mounts stand up to a larger hp engine (300+ hp) or should i source different mounts?

My major concern is separation - when I originally replaced the mounts the metal and rubber portions weren't even attached.

Thanks!

Ryan King
10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
I would probably swap them out of I were you. Depending on the engine you are using, your new mounts would probably be more readily available VS the DeLorean ones. And probably better quality too. I would look into sourcing new ones just to be safe.

David T
10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I would probably swap them out of I were you. Depending on the engine you are using, your new mounts would probably be more readily available VS the DeLorean ones. And probably better quality too. I would look into sourcing new ones just to be safe.

I would not use the OEM ones. In most engine swaps you wind up having to fabricate or at least modify mounts to make them fit. You are probably not going to find anything "off the shelf" that is going to bolt to the motor AND the frame without making some changes.

Josh
10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes I am aware I have to fab up motor mounts. This is one of the smaller hurdles of the project lol. I was considering just using the delorean motor mount as rubber isolator in the mount. If that makes sense. It would bolt to a new base and another mount would be fabbed for the engine side as well.

Nicholas R
10-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd say source different mounts. The different vibrations and jerks that your block is going to exert when you crack the throttle is going to be unlike anything those PRV mounts ever expected to see. I went with polyurethane mounts where the bushing is on the block (though there are many different types of mounts).

Josh
10-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I just bout some generic SBC mounts. They have a captive rubber mount so if they fail it wont be an issue with the motor jumping around like it would with the PRV mounts. They are also substantially larger!