PDA

View Full Version : Electrical alternator replacement/Auto Zone

leroylem
10-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Auto Zone part # for the 91-94 Saturn replacement is DL 1315.5.3---is this the same replacement as the CS 130 that several others have referred to---just wanted to be sure before I purchased it.

Thanks---Leroy

hmcelraft
10-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Auto Zone part # for the 91-94 Saturn replacement is DL 1315.5.3---is this the same replacement as the CS 130 that several others have referred to---just wanted to be sure before I purchased it.

Thanks---Leroy

In my opinion, you would be much better off getting an alternator from a DMC vendor. That one you're looking at is only 96 amps and it may or may not fit. Why screw around - get something that will work for a long time with plenty of power.

dmruschell
10-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Thanks---Leroy

Yes that is the right part. I just installed one from AutoZone and one from Advance in our two DeLoreans. Pretty much all of the vendor alternators (at least DMC and Hervey) are based on the CS130 and use the same electrical plug, so no wiring modification is needed if you're replacing one of those alternators.

96 amps is plenty. I replaced a 140 amp Hervey alternator in my D with a 96 amp version from Advance, and saw no difference in voltage. My Hervey alternator was working fine, but I wanted a readily available replacement. The voltage in my fiancé's D didn't change, either. So, 96 amps is enough.

There are a few bolts that need to be changed to mount the Saturn alternator, though. The 10mm mounting bolt must be changed to an 8mm bolt, as the bolt holes are smaller on the Saturn alternator. A 1/2 inch spacer will also be needed behind the front mounting ear. I used a 9/16 nut and it worked great. The tensioner bolt hole on the Saturn alternator is not threaded, so a longer 8mm bolt with a washer/nut is needed.

Some have said that they used an 8mm to 10mm sleeve inside the mounting bracket hole, but I found that wasn't necessary with my turnbuckle tensioners. I can't say if it is or not with the stock tensioner, though.

I ended up using the SAE equivalent for the mounting bolt (5/16), which should also work for the tensioner as well, since none of the mounting holes on the Saturn alternator are threaded. So, use whatever is available at the hardware store.