PDA

View Full Version : ITB's?

TheDutchTexan
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Is there anyone who ventured into ITB's when moving away from K-jet?

I know it is not really a viable option, as a carb should be easy as ϕ and ITB's are known for being a pain in the @$$. But one can always wonder. ITB's deliver instant throttle response, and the sound they make is very unique and awesome. Plus... it's another feul injection setup...

I wanted to post this in the carb thread, but I decided to just open a new thread. I didn't want to take the discussion away from the Carb vs K-Jet.

Kenny_Z
08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago when I took the KJet off to get to the slave cylinder. They'd look so awesome poking off the intake risers. Though the giant space in between would make the engine look like an empty hot dog bun...

As I was trying to imagine it I got to thinking, how much airflow is there in that particular area? I guess you could get around that with a couple of pipes to the side scoop or 2 pipes to each side scoop.

TheDutchTexan
08-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I can not remember how much space there is in between the engine and the mesh grille to see if it is even viable. (don't own one, and models... well... are models...)

And you have to get a filter, and if you want to do it right (a la bmw) you need to fabricate a solid airbox. I've seen scoops on the end of the windows, and you could route air that way, with an airfilter in between to keep bugs and sand out. ITB's look awesome without filters, but it is far to easy to suck in sand and what not. Your engineblock will not like you after that.

Even with an airbox, itb's sound awesome. Take the old 6 in line from the M3. A delorean won't sound like that, or rev that high, but still.

vwdmc16
08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I want to do this as well, ive gone as far as mocking it up with some ITBs off a honda CBR600 ( too small) and unless you had them less than 3.5 inches from the port you would be hard pressed to fit a decent sized filter atop them.

h22wut
08-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I think it would be a good idea to keep a filter on it if you do. Some of the older I6 engines have the intakes on the side so it's not as bad to go filterless, but as justice said, the v6 would be a prime candidate to suck down some garbage. I would fab something where they all lead to 1 filter, maybe a long oval one like this:http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=1233

or put on some mesh caps like these:http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=6250

The mesh obviously doesn't provide as much protection, but it would make them much safer to run.

TheDutchTexan
08-09-2011, 01:37 AM
I thought there might not be enough room for those velocity stacks and a filter with the stock engine cover. Makes one think what one could do, custom fab a new cover? Or run it without the cover. Although that feels kinda weird to me, leaving an engine exposed like that. It is still covered by the louvers, but still...

I am completely bonkers. Looking at all these options, and I am no where close to getting a D of my own. I am glad there are people with DeLoreans that think alike though.

h22wut
08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Could always let them go straight out from the head, then cut and weld a bend onto them to make them sit straight up.. Maybe cut out a hole in the engine cover big enough for them to breathe. Although idk if I would like that much lol.

vwdmc16
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
maybe a clear plastic bubble in the lid to make room for the filters and see throttles

AdmiralSenn
08-13-2011, 05:27 PM
They make foam slip-on filters that can be clamped onto an ITB. Designed just for this purpose, in fact.

See http://www.extrudabody.com/servlet/the-118/Filter%2C-Foam%2C-3%22/Detail

Warning, ADD threadjacking:

What I want to see is something like what the guys who built the Splinter did (see http://www.joeharmondesign.com/, check out the powerplant link) - reverse the engine completely, bring in air from the exhaust valves and exhaust through the former intake valves, then run exhaust back and out. You could have a cold air intake from right under the engine area, with all the room in the world for ITBs, tubing and filters and what have you.

Definitely not worth it in terms of labor or performance (or longevity, most likely) but the idea is an interesting one, I think. Me, I'd run the exhaust to either side of the license plate. I think a mesh grille with two small exhaust ports per side would look nice there.

h22wut
08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I still say it wouldn't be that hard to do fitment wise. If you take off the manifold and the intake I'm sure there's really quite a bit of room to make this work. Its really about actually making the ITB's themselves, as I think you would have to have a machine shop custom make them.