PDA

View Full Version : Throttle return spring

Trstno1
10-19-2014, 11:09 PM
While working on my car I noticed that the throttle return spring moved on me. Does anyone have a picture of exactly how the spring should be installed?

Rich
10-19-2014, 11:48 PM
While working on my car I noticed that the throttle return spring moved on me. Does anyone have a picture of exactly how the spring should be installed?

Which of the two throttle return springs is in question?

One is on the throttle quadrant.31210. Throttle cable comes in here.

The other one is downstream on the throttle butterfly shaft.31209. The throttle linkage from the quadrant pushes the throttle butterflies open here.

When the throttle quadant spring is set in place there are two possible pairs of detents in the quadrant to hold it. The first photo shows that spring in the tighter of the two pairs of detents. Not sure if it makes a difference which detent pair you choose.

Trstno1
10-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Which of the two throttle return springs is in question?

One is on the throttle quadrant.31210. Throttle cable comes in here.

The other one is downstream on the throttle butterfly shaft.31209. The throttle linkage from the quadrant pushes the throttle butterflies open here.

When the throttle quadant spring is set in place there are two possible pairs of detents in the quadrant to hold it. The first photo shows that spring in the tighter of the two pairs of detents. Not sure if it makes a difference which detent pair you choose.

That was exactly what I needed! Thank you very much.

mluder
10-21-2014, 01:56 AM
One is on the throttle quadrant.31210.

Interesting - What's the little red rubber insulation where the spring is over the post?
Never seen that.

Rich
10-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Interesting - What's the little red rubber insulation where the spring is over the post?
Never seen that.

It's a red plastic sleeve, maybe shrink-tubing, that was on the spring as you see it when this car was delivered.

DMCMW Dave
10-21-2014, 10:07 PM
The spring should be straight there or there is too much friction in the spring. Looks like the tube is an attempt to correct that problem.

Jonathan
10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Never seen that.

It's a red plastic sleeve, maybe shrink-tubing, that was on the spring as you see it when this car was delivered.

The spring should be straight there or there is too much friction in the spring. Looks like the tube is an attempt to correct that problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that red heatshrink sleeve in place where you are supposed to see the four spring clips from the deice recall kit installed?

Dave, I think it was you or perhaps someone in the ODOC group that mentioned to me what those four clips were for?

http://store.delorean.com/p-10174-clip-spring.aspx

As part of the deice recall kit, they were intended to be snapped over that throttle spool post where you see the notch in it such that those clips take up the gap that is that notch and prevent the end of the spring from getting caught in it? So they wouldn't go over the spring end as you see the heatshrink here is, but instead snap over the post one at a time and then all stay positioned in that notch with the spring end going underneath the edge of the lowest clip.

Most people I have mentioned it to after hearing this weren't aware of it... and also had those same four clips in a baggie at home as leftovers from their deice recall kit install.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10210-de-ice-recall-kit.aspx

The heatshrink being a work around to correct the same issue if the owner of this vehicle wasn't aware of the recall solution?

DMCMW Dave
10-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that red heatshrink sleeve in place where you are supposed to see the four spring clips from the deice recall kit installed?

?

Yes

mluder
10-23-2014, 01:31 AM
As part of the deice recall kit, they were intended to be snapped over that throttle spool post where you see the notch in it such that those clips take up the gap that is that notch and prevent the end of the spring from getting caught in it? So they wouldn't go over the spring end as you see the heatshrink here is, but instead snap over the post one at a time and then all stay positioned in that notch with the spring end going underneath the edge of the lowest clip.

Most people I have mentioned it to after hearing this weren't aware of it... and also had those same four clips in a baggie at home as leftovers from their deice recall kit install.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10210-de-ice-recall-kit.aspx

So... I think the recall was done on my car... Pretty sure I have the clips and I know I have the spash shield. What are teh other bits and pieces in the photo?

DMCMW Dave
10-23-2014, 10:09 AM
So... I think the recall was done on my car... Pretty sure I have the clips and I know I have the spash shield. What are teh other bits and pieces in the photo?

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/SC-01-1.82.html