PDA

View Full Version : Wanted DeLorean + Shipping to Australia

Tex
08-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Hey guys,

I've been interested in DeLorean's for a long time, but I haven't been in a position to buy one until recently.

I live in Australia, so I'll have to find a car online - then organise shipping over here. I remember on the old forum there were quite a few people who've been there and done it, so I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers on who to deal with, how much it'll set me back and how long I can expect shipping to take once I find a car.

For the car itself I'm looking to spend between $20,000 - $23000

Thanks a lot!

SIMid
08-06-2011, 03:53 AM
A few of us have done this recently. Also check out ozdelorean.com

Which state yr in Tex? This may reflect who can steer u in the right direction. But with yr budget, u need to factor shipping costs and taxes. Plus any other additional costs with transportation from where the D is to the port destination.

Tex
08-06-2011, 03:57 AM
A few of us have done this recently. Also check out ozdelorean.com

Which state yr in Tex? This may reflect who can steer u in the right direction. But with yr budget, u need to factor shipping costs and taxes. Plus any other additional costs with transportation from where the D is to the port destination.

I'm in NSW. Yeah - I know it's going to cost a bit, but I don't really know much about shipping costs at all.

SIMid
08-06-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm in NSW. Yeah - I know it's going to cost a bit, but I don't really know much about shipping costs at all.

Tex,

Roughly, $20k D will equate to $6000ish in shipping and taxes. Then $50 for Import Permit (3-5 week wait), transport from where the D is located to Port for departure, $300-$1000. All estimates depending on purchase price, exchange rate, importer rates & charges location and any other additional costs. Also take into account compliance costs upon arrival in Australia.

Not trying to scare you, just so u know what yr up against at the end! :)

Tex
08-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Yeah thanks man. Around 5-6k was what I was expecting, so I wasn't too far off.

If I may be so bold, sir - how much was yours?

RIUM+
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Don't forget to add in the cost of compliancing for Australian driving and some of the modifications you'll have to make for Australian roads, like replacing the seat belts and headlights. And expect delays! Realistically you're looking at a month to get the import permit, a month and a half for shipping plus a few weeks for modifications & compliancing. I'm in Brisbane, I bought my car 9 months ago and it's still not here... but my delay is because I'm getting a right-hand-drive conversion and that takes a while. There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!

Chris 16409
08-08-2011, 11:22 PM
What do you have to do about the seat belts in Australia?

Blackie
08-09-2011, 04:12 AM
What do you have to do about the seat belts in Australia?

The seat belts need to be ADR compliant (Australian Design Rule) and part of that requires the metal buckle to be of a closed loop type, whereas the original metal buckle on the D has an open end. See pic below:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/holdnon/Seatbelts.jpg

speedfetish
08-09-2011, 06:43 AM
I have 2 cars on Guam which is a lot closer. They are both US spec cars so im not sure what would be involved in getting them legal for Australia. One is complete but needs some work, the other is a parts car. I am gonna be moving back to the states, so I am gonna let them go cheap. PM me if you may be interested.

Tex
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Don't forget to add in the cost of compliancing for Australian driving and some of the modifications you'll have to make for Australian roads, like replacing the seat belts and headlights. And expect delays! Realistically you're looking at a month to get the import permit, a month and a half for shipping plus a few weeks for modifications & compliancing. I'm in Brisbane, I bought my car 9 months ago and it's still not here... but my delay is because I'm getting a right-hand-drive conversion and that takes a while. There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!

Haha yeah, I've been following your thread about it! Frustrating stuff. Mind you, that conversion is pretty major work. I'm not worried about about the LHD, I think it adds character. If you've got the funds to do it though I can understand why, if you were to ever sell again - god forbid, you'd get that money back with interest.

What company are you using to get it shipped over?

I'm finishing up at uni and probably shouldn't be spending money on a 30 year old car, but if I don't buy one now I never will. There will never be a better time to buy either. They're legal to drive LHD, they won't get any cheaper, there won't be as many for sale and the dollar won't hold up for long. It's totally an investment!

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Chris 16409
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
The seat belts need to be ADR compliant (Australian Design Rule) and part of that requires the metal buckle to be of a closed loop type, whereas the original metal buckle on the D has an open end.

So do you have to go to a junk yard and find some other seat belt buckle that you can retrofit to the DeLorean? Sounds like a pain. In some states (mostly California) they care a lot about the air, but you think they do a safety check. I mean they might pipe up if you have bald tiers, but I've heard nary a whisper about seat belt buckles. There's a lot more safety stuff on newer vehicles, so if some light is on, they'll probably make you fix it. To me it's counter intuitive, you think they'd spend more time worrying about the older cars than the new ones. Heck, if the car is old enough they don't even enforce the seat belt rule.

AussieDMC
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Tex,
The seatbelts may not be an issue anyway. I'm in Sydney and my car has been changed to RHD and it still has the original seatbelts in it. You'll probably only need to change the headlights to left dip beam. Let me know if you'd like to see my car as maybe you've never seen a DeLorean before? They're pretty thin on the ground here!

Tex
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Tex,
The seatbelts may not be an issue anyway. I'm in Sydney and my car has been changed to RHD and it still has the original seatbelts in it. You'll probably only need to change the headlights to left dip beam. Let me know if you'd like to see my car as maybe you've never seen a DeLorean before? They're pretty thin on the ground here!

Thanks mate, I'll be heading up to Sydney in the next couple of weeks so I might give you a bell.

I went to Los Angeles and saw a couple - the D at Universal City Walk, and the BTTF conversion at the studio but they were just in passing, and I've never been inside one before that's for sure.

ArnieBrandon
08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Tex. You may want to contact Toby Peterson, DeLorean Motor Company Northwest located in Bellevue, Washington, USA, just outside of Seattle Washington. He has already partaken in shipping 3 cars to Australia and is now is the final stages of getting a Right Hand Conversion ready for shipping to Australia. A beautiful car is at this very moment on the high seas to Australia. He has 3 DeLoreans in his show room for sale and in the final analysis, YOU CAN BELIEVE WHAT HE TELLS YOU!!!. A more honest man does not exist in this world. I'm certain that this can be attested to by DeLorean owners currently in Australia. Want references? advise. I urge you to call or contact Toby at 425/451-7000 or [email protected]. Your life will be made easier in achieving your dream doing business with this firm.

DSNW Toby
08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
There's just a little bit of mechanical work involved in a RHD conversion, haha!

The RHD DeLorean for RIUM+ has been running around for a solid week now. The car is running like a Rolex. Just a couple of last minute details ...

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but this project has just been so cool. RIUM+ has been an absolute joy to work with. I hope you like the result.

Blackie
08-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Looks the goods Toby!

xbrules
08-10-2011, 04:04 AM
So do you have to go to a junk yard and find some other seat belt buckle that you can retrofit to the DeLorean? Sounds like a pain. In some states (mostly California) they care a lot about the air, but you think they do a safety check. I mean they might pipe up if you have bald tiers, but I've heard nary a whisper about seat belt buckles. There's a lot more safety stuff on newer vehicles, so if some light is on, they'll probably make you fix it. To me it's counter intuitive, you think they'd spend more time worrying about the older cars than the new ones. Heck, if the car is old enough they don't even enforce the seat belt rule.

The seat belts aren't an issue, we can buy the Australian spec versions easily enough and they are made by the original DeLorean manufacturer KLIPPAN. I just purchased mine for 2065. $200 and they bolt straight in. although we do have to disable the seat belt buzzer.... Gosh darn :P

Tex
08-10-2011, 04:14 AM
The seat belts aren't an issue, we can buy the Australian spec versions easily enough and they are made by the original DeLorean manufacturer KLIPPAN. I just purchased mine for 2065. $200 and they bolt straight in. although we do have to disable the seat belt buzzer.... Gosh darn :P

How much did yours set you back mate?

SIMid
08-10-2011, 05:56 AM
The RHD DeLorean for RIUM+ has been running around for a solid week now. The car is running like a Rolex. Just a couple of last minute details ...

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but this project has just been so cool. RIUM+ has been an absolute joy to work with. I hope you like the result.

Now THAT looks natural!! :aniclap: :lol:

And I haven't seen a pair of driving gloves since the late 70s on Hart to Hart!

BTW Tex, I can vouch for Toby. He has worked on the D I had bought and she also runs like a "real" Rolex!

xbrules
08-10-2011, 06:20 AM
How much did yours set you back mate?

About $200 from Wilshire motor trimmers in Adelaide. Although you should be able to order them from most auto parts stores. I'll post the parts numbers a bit later.

xbrules
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
KLIPPAN Part No's:

6303 100/90 IN PILLAR LH 170MM STEM
6304 100/90 IN PILLAR RH 170MM STEM
511446301A 220MM STALK BUCKLE x2

you should be able to go to Auto 1/Autobahn/Rare Spares and order these easily. they are available in grey and black to suit both interior colours

bkntym
09-24-2011, 02:09 PM
hello, i have a d here in Canada that i drive at least once a week. no issues. i also have friends here from NSW that are buying a (Dodge)of there own and shipping it to NSW. Maybe you would want my car and have them help with the shipping ??????

Bride
04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm looking for a DeLorean in Adelaide that might be interested in driving my fiance to our wedding in December 2012. Would this be the right place to find someone?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

SIMid
04-17-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm looking for a DeLorean in Adelaide that might be interested in driving my fiance to our wedding in December 2012. Would this be the right place to find someone?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Also try www.OZdelorean.com

Blackie
04-17-2012, 06:37 AM

PM Sent