PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Game Wild Gunman Replica ... just in time for Cafe 80's in 2015

Rich W
11-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Just completed on November 5th ... a Red Letter day in history.

The Full Story coming soon.

Rich W
11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Custom fully-functioning Wild Gunman dedicated arcade game!! (It's a baby's toy!!)

Created by Tony Swann. First ... more photos ... then the story.

Most BTTF fans remember the epic Café 80’s scenes with Michael J. Fox. Well, for those of you into classic arcade games…here’s one you will need to check out.

First, it should be known that Wild Gunman was never made into a dedicated arcade game. The prop used in BTTF II was actually just a TV screen with a Nintendo Entertainment System wedged into an old Donkey Kong-style Nintendo cabinet!

So to make this a fully functioning arcade game, it was decided that the internals needed to be made from the Nintendo Playchoice arcade system. More details later about the History of Wild Gumman (the NES game) for real gamer nerds.

This exterior cabinet was originally a blue Donkey Kong cabinet that had seen better days – and had even been converted into a Popeye game at one point in its life!

The top backlit marquee was custom drawn to match to the exact font and design used in the movie prop.

The control panel was actually a component from yet another Nintendo arcade game – called a VS. unisystem arcade setup. This panel was custom created to have the mixed-up color buttons (just like in the movie) as well.

The remaining custom items were the light gun holster and the fingerprint payment plate. The prop makers didn’t use an arcade-style gun holster, but rather a real cowboy gun holster. To make it look as close as possible to the screen used version, we had this custom leather holster made at a local western apparel store.

A big thanks goes out to Stephen Clark from BTTF.com for helping us locate images to recreate the graphic for the fingerprint plate! The red plate on the front is a recreation with the thumb graphic and an actual brass plate underneath.

Hope you enjoyed reading about this new replica. We plan to bring it to the new big DeLorean show and other events in the future! Ready just in time for 2015!

First planned public event appearance will be at the DMC Midwest Open House in mid-June 2015. (make sure to stop by Dave and Julee's shop to see it in person)

Now, for the gamer nerds...

Wild Gunman game has origins back to the mid-1970s, but the version we are dealing with dates to 1984 when it was released in Japan on the Famicon system. In 1985 it was made for the NES here in America.

The Nintendo Playchoice was an arcade system designed to give people the ability to test out NES games in an arcade setting and hopefully get them to purchase the game at home for their NES. Arcade operators could easily swap small game boards into the main Playchoice printed circuit board (PCB) and give different variety to their customers without having to change or retrofit the machine. Nintendo made about 50 of these emulated NES titles to played on a Playchoice system and luckily Wild Gunman was one of them. The only other shooter/light gun games for the Playchoice were Duck Hunt and Hogan’s Alley.

Rich W
11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks again to Stephen Clark (BTTF.com) for the Wild Gunman reference photos.

A few photos attached below, to use for comparison. Wow, this is heavy !!

wrkey
11-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Okay.. I own a Playchoice 10. Thanks to you I am now on the hunt for a Wild Gunman card and a light gun.

As if I didn't already have enough projects......

Rich W
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Okay.. I own a Playchoice 10. Thanks to you I am now on the hunt for a Wild Gunman card and a light gun.

As if I didn't already have enough projects......

Not sure about a spare Wild Gunman card, but I know Tony has several used light guns for parts (more orange guns than black guns).

PM me if you need a hand locating any WG parts. If you are looking to recreate the marque, etc., I may have some contacts as well.

Mark D
11-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Nice job on the Wild Gunman replica, I can tell you spent some time working to get the details correct.

spedlot
11-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I have a play choice 10 as well. Did they make a wild gunman pcb for it? I guess I have never checked.

apswann
11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Yes, there were Nintendo made Wild Gunman PC-10 PCBs. However, lately they seem to be hard to locate. I believe there were only 3 light gun games originally made for the PC -- Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley.

spedlot
11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Hmm ok I may try and find one then.

Rich W
11-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Wild Gunman cameo in the following video of Arcade Games in Movies.

MJF actually co-stars with a few arcade games, starting about 1:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRQxbrLS8o&sns=em

Rich W
10-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Due to a non-disclosure agreement, I cannot post specific details until the NY Comic Con 2015 starts on Thursday, Oct. 8
but most Back to the Future fans will be pretty excited to see at least one display paying homage to Back to the Future II.

Tony Swann's fully functional Wild Gunman arcade game will be making an appearance (custom screen for NY Comic Con).

You may also figure out more of the details yourself, by looking at the guests and the items listed in the following links:

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/10/04/pepsi-perfect-back-to-the-future/73224922/

Rich W
10-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Due to a non-disclosure agreement, I cannot post specific details until the NY Comic Con 2015 starts on Thursday, Oct. 8
but most Back to the Future fans will be pretty excited to see at least one display paying homage to Back to the Future II.

Tony Swann's fully functional Wild Gunman arcade game will be making an appearance (custom screen for NY Comic Con).

You may also figure out more of the details yourself, by looking at the guests and the items listed in the following links:

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/10/04/pepsi-perfect-back-to-the-future/73224922/

More indirect details from another link:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/05/back-to-the-future-pepsi-perfect

Rich W
10-07-2015, 02:05 PM
More indirect details from another link:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/05/back-to-the-future-pepsi-perfect

Wild Gunman arrived safely in NY this afternoon ... but still waiting to go into NY CC 2015.

Probably no official display setup photos until tomorrow (or if other photos go public first).

Rich W
10-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Wild Gunman arrived safely in NY this afternoon ... but still waiting to go into NY CC 2015.

Probably no official display setup photos until tomorrow (or if other photos go public first).

Looks like there are a lot of photos being taken (and posted) of the Café 80s, so I can let a couple of these out now.

The video wall is currently set for Pepsi Perfect promotion, but it can be switched to "echo" the Wild Gunman display.

Rich W
10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Looks like there are a lot of photos being taken (and posted) of the Café 80s, so I can let a couple of these out now.

The video wall is currently set for Pepsi Perfect promotion, but it can be switched to "echo" the Wild Gunman display.

Last photo of the Café 80s Video Wall before it gets dark (waiting to see what the Video Wall looks like when it gets darker).

1980s arcade technology meets 2015 Video Wall. Tony did a great job getting the Nintendo inverted signal to adapt to HDMI.

Rich W
10-09-2015, 05:00 PM
It's all about the multiple Marty's at the Café 80's ...

... and, of course, the Pepsi Perfect.

Rich W
10-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Attaching a link to the "review" of the Café 80's and the Pepsi Perfect display at NY CC 2015 (it's the place to be).

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-comic-con-pepsi-perfect-back-to-the-future-booth-2015-10

Scrolling the photos, (#11) Tony Swann is seen in the background, running "resets" for the Wild Gunman game.
(game reset after 1 minute of play ... Player 1 vs. Player 2 ... high score for each game pair won a Pepsi Perfect)

BTW: The Wild Gunman game operated flawlessly throughout the convention and it is now back in the Midwest.

BttfFan
07-29-2020, 03:31 PM
"The top backlit marquee was custom drawn to match to the exact font and design used in the movie prop."

Do you know where/how the marquee piece got made? Is it a decal printed out? A vinyl sticker? Glass/acrylic printed? I'm looking to create just the marquee and need to figure out that front panel. Thanks!