PDA

View Full Version : travelling to belfast // is it possible to tour the factory??

marshdutt
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
i dont post very often, but i do have a fairly irregular set of questions that does seem to pop up occasionally.

I am planning a trip to belfast in early january, and was wondering is a trip to the ole factory is a worthy excursion?

What is happening to it? Is there any delorean related exhibits that can be seen somewhere in the area (and where are they)?

It seems that the factory is not trespass-able, but does anybody have any other information, or a contact that could give access?

Why is the track and the buildings deemed unsafe?

Is it cool to bring up the car, or is it still a sore subject with the locals?
I know that immediately after the receivership it was still a "touchy" subject, but after 30 years i imagine it could be a sense a pride (but i could be wrong, i just i dont know).

--For me it would be a really cool experience to see my car's factory and to see some of the scenery and help to understand the complications of the delorean story. To go to Belfast and not go to Dunmurry would seem as a waste of an opportunity to see a something interesting.

thanks

-m

Dangermouse
11-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Basic answer is - no, you can't tour the factory, nor the test track. The local DOI/DOA contact works hard to get access to the track every 5 years for Eurofest. But you can drive up to the gates of the factory (current occupier - Montupet) and you could see The Warren House nearby where JZD stayed.

I doubt that you would find any problems discussing the car or the factory - more a sense of pride these days rather than in the past. My brother just told me that a barber in the area has a little display of boxed cars (presumably the BTTF ones)

pk2678
11-12-2014, 12:14 PM

--For me it would be a really cool experience to see my car's factory and to see some of the scenery and help to understand the complications of the delorean story. To go to Belfast and not go to Dunmurry would seem as a waste of an opportunity to see a something interesting.

thanks

-m

I really would recommend to have at least a look at the factory, even if you cannot get in. I am quite sure that it would be very difficult to get into the buildings which are now used by other companies. These are Bombardier (http://uk.bombardier.com/en/aerospace.html) and Montupetl (http://www.montupet.fr/english/northern-ireland-belfast-43/northern-ireland-belfast.html).
You should also have a look at Warren House, which is located near the factory (10 Thornhill Rd, Dunmurry).

Good luck
Peter

vps3922
11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I recomend a trip to the Ulster Folk and Transport museum (http://www.nmni.com/uftm) close by. It has a few exhibits (a frame with engine, some info on the wall and a DeLorean (with a roof antenna on the T-panel...sigh!)). I went there a few years ago when I lived in Ireland.

MML
11-12-2014, 04:04 PM
I recomend a trip to the Ulster Folk and Transport museum (http://www.nmni.com/uftm) close by. It has a few exhibits (a frame with engine, some info on the wall and a DeLorean (with a roof antenna on the T-panel...sigh!)). I went there a few years ago when I lived in Ireland.

Oh for sure. The museum is excellent, and not just for the Delorean stuff. I'd highly recommend it!

marshdutt
11-13-2014, 02:37 AM
thank you for your help guys, i will look up the museum and hopefully be able to make a delorean segment of this trip. once again thank you for your help, and as always i appreciate further comments / advise.

john 05141
11-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Last Eurofest, with a hundred Deloreans in town, I was looking forward to see the wooden mock-up prototype at that museum. IT WAS IN THE BASEMENT and not visible to visitors of the museum.
:shameful:
Try to come in 2016, you'll get to see it all. Sure there are a number of passengers seat available.

Jan

MML
11-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Last Eurofest, with a hundred Deloreans in town, I was looking forward to see the wooden mock-up prototype at that museum. IT WAS IN THE BASEMENT and not visible to visitors of the museum.
:shameful:
Try to come in 2016, you'll get to see it all. Sure there are a number of passengers seat available.

Jan

Happy to report it's on display now John! :)

john 05141
11-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Oh man.....
I hope they won't tuck it away for Eurofest 2016.

Jan