PDA

View Full Version : John Z. DeLorean Interview - NBC Monitor

Rhsxo
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Late last year I picked up this vinyl record off eBay for $5 that was an NBC Monitor interview with John Z. DeLorean conducted on July 3, 1966.

I was always waiting to get a working record player to find out what was on it, record it and post it to YouTube so all could enjoy. I picked up a record player today for $1, hooked it up, and got it to work, but the audio was really low. From what I read, I need a Preamp. (???).

I recorded this with my iPhone 3GS so please excuse the poor audio quality.

Anyways, here's the video for all to enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LABQgLTh5GI

dvonk
08-07-2011, 12:49 AM
I picked up a record player today for $1, hooked it up, and got it to work, but the audio was really low. From what I read, I need a Preamp.

yes. back when record players were more popular, the stereo receivers had integrated preamps. these days most receivers do not. i imagine, however, that some higher-end models might have them, since vinyl has started to regain some popularity lately.

otherwise, you can buy an external phono preamp. i was lucky enough to find one at a thrift store for cheap. :)

Rhsxo
08-07-2011, 01:52 AM
yes. back when record players were more popular, the stereo receivers had integrated preamps. these days most receivers do not. i imagine, however, that some higher-end models might have them, since vinyl has started to regain some popularity lately.

otherwise, you can buy an external phono preamp. i was lucky enough to find one at a thrift store for cheap. :)

Okay cool. I never thought about looking at Thrift Stores for one but I will keep an eye out for one.

Jeremy Popp
08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Very cool, thanks for posting. Sounds like JZD is reading from a que card though, not much flare in this interview.

sean
08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the share :thumbup2:

Ryan King
08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Very cool, thanks for posting. Sounds like JZD is reading from a que card though, not much flare in this interview.

I agree... He normally has a lot of pauses and things in his other interviews. Weird. But still very interesting!

Roman Legion
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I like the part with the static.. As my old friend Khan Noonien Singh once said.. "Let them eat static.".

Okay cool. I never thought about looking at Thrift Stores...

Most people don't, I buy the majority of my clothes from them, very inexpensive and you can find some great stuff there. Forget walmarts, Thrift stores are the way to go..

Farrar
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
If you want to send me this as an audio-only file (e.g. mp3), I can run it through my preamp and send it back to you. PM me for my e-mail address.

Farrar

qwerk
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I might be able to clean up the audio a bit too, before it gets run through a preamp.

Farrar
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I might be able to clean up the audio a bit too...

Drat, I was going to do that. Now you've ruined my surprise. :P

Farrar

SamHill
08-12-2011, 02:11 PM

I love the things. Frequent auctions and you can find them for nothing in perfect working order for little to nothing. You can have your Bose junk!

qwerk
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Drat, I was going to do that. Now you've ruined my surprise. :P

Farrar

Oh, whoops. Where's the reset button? I know Nintendo gave me one in the early 90's, but I can't seem to find it anymore...