PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Jeff K
11-26-2014, 06:59 PM
http://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-drive-the-only-autozam-az-1-in-americ-1663800815

Never heard of this car before.. Doors look Familiar..

Josh
11-26-2014, 07:14 PM
In unrelated news, Drive+ and Matt Farrah can go piss up a rope.

Nicholas R
11-26-2014, 08:27 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rich_NYS
11-27-2014, 01:08 AM

Roger that! :thumbup:

Jonathan
11-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Let me know if the day comes when jalopnik hires an actual journalist and I'll go clicking on one of their links. For now, the crap they "publish" isn't any better than what you see in the comments section on just about any news website.

mluder
11-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Yep.

Galt
11-29-2014, 03:14 AM

Hooray! I thought I was the only one.

Matt Farah, after numerous credibility straining remarks, forever ruined his rep by paying someone else to restore his Delorean. I get it if you're anyone else - but in his position and chosen profession, dude, c'mon. He might as well have 'I know nothing about cars' tattooed on his face. Not only that, half the joy of DMC ownership is maintenance. What he did is tantamount to marrying a supermodel and then paying someone else to sleep with her.

Shep
11-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Matt Farah, after numerous credibility straining remarks, forever ruined his rep by paying someone else to restore his Delorean. I get it if you're anyone else - but in his position and chosen profession, dude, c'mon. He might as well have 'I know nothing about cars' tattooed on his face. Not only that, half the joy of DMC ownership is maintenance. What he did is tantamount to marrying a supermodel and then paying someone else to sleep with her.Having done exactly this, I'm kind of apprehensive about this bit. Are you saying car guys shouldn't pay someone else to restore their own cars? Cost vs. benefit talking here... :confused2:

Galt
11-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Having done exactly this, I'm kind of apprehensive about this bit. Are you saying car guys shouldn't pay someone else to restore their own cars? Cost vs. benefit talking here... :confused2:

I'm saying if you're selling yourself as a leader of car guys, someone who deserves a voice in the community, you should be able to handle a Delorean resto. It's not rocket science. If you're a car guy, but a 9-5 dentist, maybe you don't have the time or the energy. I get it. Matt Farah however could have made it a web series as part of his job and wrote most of it off. Instead, he paid someone else to do it because he knows nothing about cars beyond the average Motor Trend reader. If Matt has plenty of time to be hanging out at Supercar Sunday and swinging by the shop to check out their progress, he certainly had the time to do it himself. Even knowing little to nothing, that was his chance to learn. For a guy like that to pay somebody else to do the work he might as well just pay somebody to drive him around in it too. I don't get it. Well, actually, I do get it. He's become another arm of that whole feminized, arrogant, ignorant SoCal Jalopnik mentality. It's SO frustrating.

BTW, cost vs benefit - it's going to cost you the same for the parts. Other than speed, what's the benefit? You'll always do a better job on your own car than someone else will because there's no clock ticking. Just think every hour of labor you do on your own saved you $70+.

Shep
12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm saying if you're selling yourself as a leader of car guys, someone who deserves a voice in the community, you should be able to handle a Delorean resto. It's not rocket science. If you're a car guy, but a 9-5 dentist, maybe you don't have the time or the energy. I get it. Matt Farah however could have made it a web series as part of his job and wrote most of it off. Instead, he paid someone else to do it because he knows nothing about cars beyond the average Motor Trend reader. If Matt has plenty of time to be hanging out at Supercar Sunday and swinging by the shop to check out their progress, he certainly had the time to do it himself. Even knowing little to nothing, that was his chance to learn. For a guy like that to pay somebody else to do the work he might as well just pay somebody to drive him around in it too. I don't get it. Well, actually, I do get it. He's become another arm of that whole feminized, arrogant, ignorant SoCal Jalopnik mentality. It's SO frustrating."Being able to handle" and "doing it" are two entirely separate things though. I'm sorry, but even though I have distaste for Jalopnik as much as the next guy, I don't see this being "another arm of that mentality". There are legitimate reasons for paying someone else to restore your car. For example:

BTW, cost vs benefit - it's going to cost you the same for the parts. Other than speed, what's the benefit? You'll always do a better job on your own car than someone else will because there's no clock ticking. Just think every hour of labor you do on your own saved you $70+.It's actually not going to cost the same, and will generally do a worse job unless you really, really know what you're doing, have done it before, or ask for help in the process. Tooling isn't free, and as much as I have the ability to do my own repairs, I don't happen to have a hydraulic lift sitting around, nor a welder, nor a plasma torch, nor any number of the specialized tools made purely for DeLorean restoration (roof support, flap sander, etc.). The vendors have years, in most cases decades of expertise on working on nothing but DeLoreans. They're in the first category of really, really knowing their stuff. Ask any number of guys who have restored their own D's before, and most of them have contacted a vendor, forum/club member, or other owner for help somewhere along the line. The rest of them just really, really know their stuff and in many cases improve on the existing hardware (the LS1 Engine swap comes to mind here)

Having visited DPI in person and seeing how deep someone will get into their own D before they admit they need help was scary. It's not a common occurrence, but being new to ownership, low on expertise, and without so much as a single mile on the odometer since I purchased it, I opted to let the experts handle it. Say what you want about Jalopnik, but there's no rhyme or reason to put the guys who go the vendor route into the same category as those asshats.

valdez
12-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Having done exactly this, I'm kind of apprehensive about this bit. Are you saying car guys shouldn't pay someone else to restore their own cars? Cost vs. benefit talking here... :confused2:

....You married a super model?....
I work for cheap.

Just kidding.

Jonathan
12-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Other than speed...

IMO, this is the main point. No one wants to wait anymore, for anything. We all want it now and if paying someone else to do it for us gets what we want right now, then the costs are justifiable.

I say "we" or "us" not because I agree with the whole "now generation" attitude, just that we are all a part of the same overall population. There's no patience left out there and it extends to far more than car restos. We don't want to wait to earn a better paying position at the company we work for, wait to live in a bigger home, drive a better car, or wait for some leader, president, CEO, athlete or celebrity to think about what might be the best thing to say or course of action to take because if you pause it's seen as a sign of weakness. Slow and steady still wins the same race it always did, but it's becoming a thing of the past now as so many are competing in a different kind of race.

Pardon the rant, but the need to slow down is the single biggest thing I think is eff'ing up the planet. Well, that and greed in general, but you get the idea.