PDA

View Full Version : Non-returning Data ?

Dangermouse
05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I know you guys said that you are working on restoring all the data from the old forum, which is a big task.

Are there any items that you already know that you will not be able to retrieve that we, the members, could be restoring ourselves. I'm thinking about things like our old photo albums, external links, that sort of thing.

Tamir A.
05-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Great question! By all means, if you have data available, restore it yourself. We can sort out the merging of data when the time comes. For existing as well as new users to the forum, getting the data up faster will always be helpful.

T.

DMCH James
06-20-2011, 09:40 AM
It's been approx a month on this...how about an update? Is the data ever coming back?

James

Tamir A.
06-21-2011, 03:55 AM
No update to be given on this as of now. Still sorting things out after hitting a few more hiccups, but hope to have the old data back up in due time.

I'm pleased to see most people resurrecting threads that are important to them or others. And as the core user base continues to rejoin, as well as new members, the activity on the forum is fantastic, so that's exciting. :bigclap:

As always James, I do appreciate your dry wise cracks throughout the forum. Apparently the old site going down has seemed to truly get your comedy juices flowing. And let's be honest, it wouldn't truly feel like DMCTalk again without some of James' classic snarky responses.

T.

DMCH James
06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Tamir, though I do find it tiring to be so amusing, I'm glad you appreciate the effort of my true comedic genius. Ilan was a funny one, too. He had a great sense of humor and was always there for a prank or joke...hope we see him back around these parts again.

James

Mark D
07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Any updates yet on restoring the old forum data? There was a WEALTH of good info there.

Mike C.
07-12-2011, 07:37 AM
As soon as there is an update, we will let you know.

John U
08-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Anyone know if all the valuable info from the old dmctalk was saved and will be available? I really miss those great how-to's that were accumulated over the years!

John

stevedmc
08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
It's been approx a month on this...how about an update? Is the data ever coming back?

James

It seems the data and binnacles have a lot in common.

Tamir A.
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
We will update you on this when we have a definitive timeline. Until then, feel free to continue adding any DIY or How To Threads.

DMCH James
08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
It's either (a) too hard, (b) too expensive or (c) non-existent. If (a) or (b), let the users know - there's a lot of smart people among us who would be happy to contribute in some way to the restoration. If (c), just tell us straight out so we'll shut up about it. If we re-post a bunch of stuff that already exists in the old data, you'll have a larger mess to straighten out.

James

Rich W
08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I think it is (d) Time, which can involve a number of all kinds of issues.

Free Time is hard to come by, but I am sure Tamir and the Mods will do
their best, as time permits. If there is corrupted data in the backups,
this will make it even more time-consuming, to extract the good data.

This does not imply that it is too hard or too expensive, but time is money,
so I am sure there are considerations for cost-benefit, based on time spent
and a number of other possible factors. This could just take more time.

I am sure if there is something that Tamir wants to post regarding the data
restoration process and progress, then Tamir will post it. If it was a simple
answer, I am sure Tamir would let us know, but life can be a little complex.

Later,
Rich W.

sztybel
08-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Not sure why the original dmctalk.com went offline in the first place, but it's really time for them to get all of the archived information up. I find it very hard to believe a site that was up for so long is not properly represented through this new domain name.

Mike C.
08-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Not sure why the original dmctalk.com went offline in the first place, but it's really time for them to get all of the archived information up. I find it very hard to believe a site that was up for so long is not properly represented through this new domain name.

...says the guy with 3 posts since he joined on MAY 26, 2011. :rolleyes1:

No offense, but we put a LOT of work into re-launching this site from scratch. 99% of the posters who were on the original site have been posting. I would like you to tell us exactly how this site is not properly represented?

If you are missing some technical data, why haven't you asked a question so it can be answered?
If you know something that isn't posted, why haven't you posted it to help out our apparently misrepresented site, as you called it?

If you aren't even willing to contribute and just want to criticize, there are 10 other DMC websites that launched while we were down for a month and a half that have what, 10 posts total per MONTH?!? Some of those sites have single digit posts TOTAL... You are more than welcome to go over to one of those sites since apparently we aren't good enough. I see dmcnews is really hopping with 48 posts in a month.

Thank you Rich W. for your post.

This site is NOT our lifeblood. We do not earn a penny from doing this. All 3 of us have full time lives outside of DMCTalk. We work daily to maintain the site as it is, watch posts, make tweaks here and there. The site is working wonderfully now compared to when we had first launched it.

We have families, we have business obligations, education obligations, and life obligations that have absolutely nothing to do with this site. Since July, I have only popped onto the site one or two times a day for a few minutes due to scheduling issues. Personally, I am trying to keep my office running one person short after firing someone, on top of dealing with my mom's condo's foreclosure and relocating her to North Carolina, and a niece due to be born in just over a week. DMCTalk gets folded into my life in the middle of all of this.
Tamir and Sean's lives are just as busy, if not more.

On top of what you don't see, we also have to answer and take care of PM'd issues with the site, accounts, data, reported posts, etc... most of those people want things resolved ASAP.

We are striving to make DMCTalk.org better and better every day. Many people have posted or PM'd ideas, found issues with the functions, etc... and we have read each and every one and made adjustments where adjustments could be made.
If you are missing a technical piece, why not ask it and help others who may have the same issue? If you have something to contribute that could make another member's maintenance or care for their car easier, why not share it?

It's easy to criticize when you are just sitting back and not participating. Instead of making comments like we are not representing the site properly, why not help build it up then?

As Tamir has said before, as soon as there is an update regarding the return of the data, we will make an announcement.

-Mike

dvonk
08-29-2011, 07:41 AM
im just glad that DMCTalk is back... i was going into withdrawl when it was down. :nervous:

stevedmc
08-29-2011, 12:57 PM
It's either (a) too hard, (b) too expensive or (c) non-existent. If (a) or (b), let the users know

Is he talking about binnacles again?

stevedmc
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
This site is NOT our lifeblood. We do not earn a penny from doing this. All 3 of us have full time lives outside of DMCTalk. We work daily to maintain the site as it is, watch posts, make tweaks here and there. The site is working wonderfully now compared to when we had first launched it.

I think you forgot to mention that you guys are also footing the bill for this site and that you don't ask for donations. Btw, I would gladly send a donation if you would give us some sort of paypal link.

I love the site, and its so easy to get support here. Btw, thanks again for getting me out of my car the other day.

Ozzie
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
...Btw, thanks again for getting me out of my car the other day.

Not that Mike's couldn't, but it was the other Mike (OpethMike) that got you out of that jam (literally).

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been quiet about the old data, old site, new site, no old data site, and maybe it's time I put in my $.02.

When I was at the point of purchasing a cool weekend car, one of the reasons that I narrowed my list to a DeLorean was this site. The wealth of data and exchanges that existed here was amazing, and while the DML has a similar and older knowledge base, this site seemed more dynamic and more significantly allowed embedded pictures in the post which was awesome for how-to's and write ups and reviews. Once I became an owner, this site saved my butt (and mucho $s) with generous and helpful advice from its members, many times - as well as making some great online acquaintances within the community. In return, I poured back as much as I could, in documenting my own projects with details and pictures posts and new threads.

To have all that data gone, and not accessible again, was/is a huge loss not only to me, but to the DeLorean community - and I admit the follow up vague references of "updates when they're available", with little if any progress of the old data returning, just makes it seem as we'll never see that data again.

So, in order to look at this situation as a 'glass half full' approach, I have to remind myself of these three points:

1) An "it's gone, move on" outlook. It's the same reaction that I have to lost data due to a hard disk crash, which is: Why focus on the past, move on to the new. Rebuild, re-construct.
2) I pay nothing for the privilege to access this specific site. If this was a pay-subscription only access site, I may have a more legitimate reason to have been really upset, but since it isn't....
3) While the data may be gone, the members are back. And in the end, the participation of the most knowledgeable members of the DeLorean community, is worth much more than past (some of it possibly dated) data.

So, I am of the general opinion that we should just keep this valuable forum going, re-stocking it as it were, and IF the old data ever comes back, it would be great historic searchable data, that will only make this site more epic.

ramblinmike
08-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Not that Mike's couldn't, but it was the other Mike (OpethMike) that got you out of that jam (literally).

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been quiet about the old data, old site, new site, no old data site, and maybe it's time I put in my $.02.

When I was at the point of purchasing a cool weekend car, one of the reasons that I narrowed my list to a DeLorean was this site. The wealth of data and exchanges that existed here was amazing, and while the DML has a similar and older knowledge base, this site seemed more dynamic and more significantly allowed embedded pictures in the post which was awesome for how-to's and write ups and reviews. Once I became an owner, this site saved my butt (and mucho $s) with generous and helpful advice from its members, many times - as well as making some great online acquaintances within the community. In return, I poured back as much as I could, in documenting my own projects with details and pictures posts and new threads.

To have all that data gone, and not accessible again, was/is a huge loss not only to me, but to the DeLorean community - and I admit the follow up vague references of "updates when they're available", with little if any progress of the old data returning, just makes it seem as we'll never see that data again.

So, in order to look at this situation as a 'glass half full' approach, I have to remind myself of these three points:

1) An "it's gone, move on" outlook. It's the same reaction that I have to lost data due to a hard disk crash, which is: Why focus on the past, move on to the new. Rebuild, re-construct.
2) I pay nothing for the privilege to access this specific site. If this was a pay-subscription only access site, I may have a more legitimate reason to have been really upset, but since it isn't....
3) While the data may be gone, the members are back. And in the end, the participation of the most knowledgeable members of the DeLorean community, is worth much more than past (some of it possibly dated) data.

So, I am of the general opinion that we should just keep this valuable forum going, re-stocking it as it were, and IF the old data ever comes back, it would be great historic searchable data, that will only make this site more epic.

I'd bet most of us on here feel just like this guy. I know I do. Thanks mods.

AdmiralSenn
08-30-2011, 01:01 AM
I do think we should be thinking about a more cohesive way of presenting whatever we have, whether it's new answers, duplicates of old answers, or resurrected old threads.

Granted that a search always worked really well, but having dedicated lists is even easier to use if someone's willing to collate the information.

I don't mean to criticize any of you guys who run the site - you do a FANTASTIC job and keep this place the most sane car group I've ever run across despite our best efforts to make it into a madhouse. I just remember lots of old questions with replies that were just links to LONG, LONG threads and the relevant information was always on post 1,357 of 3,429.

I do think if at all possible the archives should return, definitely. But maybe we as a community could invest our efforts into collecting the best of that information into usable forms. I know we had several ongoing EFI conversion documents, mine mostly referencing forum threads (d'oh).

I think we're moving in the right direction with the known problems/solutions section. I just think we should all try to make sure it's well-organized and as full as possible.

Ryan
08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
so.... when is the data coming back? :deviltail:

Dangermouse
09-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I do miss SuperMatty’s poetry

Kevin
09-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Please let me know if I can help. I have a lot of experience with MySQL and doing data migration inside of it. I imagine it's simply a daunting task figuring out how to merge the two databases. If you have an SQL dump of the old site, that's all I need, or any sort of structured data format the backup may be in.

Sidaries
09-27-2011, 03:53 AM
A friend of mine found this backup on the net:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110218005331/http://www.dmctalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Here is most of the data from old dmctalk in 2011.02

Ozzie
09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
OMG.:shock:
....wow!!!!

How can I search inside it?

Dangermouse
09-27-2011, 07:57 AM
That's great!

I had tried the wayback machine a few times, but never got a good date that they had made an archive on.

I see they have 46 dates in their system.

Mike C.
09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Way back machine works great when it works. I don't think you can individually search it at this point. My advice, save what you are all looking for while the backup date is good.

EdR5150
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I haven't been having much luck with archive.org lately. Any news on merging the old data?

ccurzio
03-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't think I qualify to offer two cents since I'm still relatively new, but I will offer a bit of a half-cent.

I never saw the old site. When I joined DMCTalk I only saw a couple of vague references here and there to "the old site" and never gave it a second thought. I don't know what happened to "the old site". After being around for a bit, lurking and eventually posting, getting to know some people, and settling in, I can say that any old "data", while no doubt providing a wealth of valuable info, comes in a distant second as to why DMCTalk is important.

It's the community.

Since becoming a member here and meeting/talking with you guys, I know that's what's important. If what Mike said about 99% of former members still participating and posting is accurate, then that 99% is the community I joined and it's the community I enjoy and value. The brains are still here, so "info" can be replaced. It's the people behind the info that matters most, and this is one of the best communities on the net.

sdg3205
03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
What are we missing? I can't think of much that we haven't already re-posted. It's been almost a year since .com went down.

I do miss the ability to search either individual posts or whole threads with keywords.

Mike C.
03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
I do miss the ability to search either individual posts or whole threads with keywords.

You still can. See circled part. Click Advanced Search to be able to search entire threads, or the whole forum :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/michael_cole/SEARCH.jpg

sdg3205
03-18-2012, 06:34 PM
You still can. See circled part. Click Advanced Search to be able to search entire threads, or the whole forum :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/michael_cole/SEARCH.jpg

Hah, yeah I know what you mean!

My recollection was on the .com site, you could choose JUST to view the post FROM the the tread your keyword found without having to search through the whole thread to find the specific post.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but either way, keywords like "accumulator" will return entire 11 page threads when all I really want is the posts within that thread to be immediately viewable. Know what I mean, Vern (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3i9HillaY)?

Mike C.
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
I think you remember it differently, because it works the same way as the old site. It will display the thread containing accumulator, and then highlight the keyword in red within the thread.