PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean on Hoarders (A&E)

Iznodmad
08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Just sitting here watching the new episode on Hoarders on A&E. Name of the episode is "Becky;Clare". One of them has a DeLorean in the yard sitting outside. It was a one second clip of the front of a DeLorean, she lives in West Palm Beach, FL.

sean
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Ha! Ya beat me to it. Just saw it. Did a double take and had to rewind to make sure.

Iznodmad
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
They just showed it again a couple of minutes ago, noticed some serious eyebrows. That lady has a serious hoard going on. Kinda seems like the family used to have some money, probably an original owner. According to the show, the hoard started in 1993. I am intrigued by these types of shows.

sean
08-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Car is ROUGH!

Iznodmad
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
At least she wants to get it in the garage now.

sean
08-08-2011, 09:52 PM
At least she wants to get it in the garage now.

Ha! Yeah, better late than never I suppose. Keep it from falling apart.

Iznodmad
08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Sitting on bare ground for at least 18 years, gonna be a nasty rotten frame.

Michael
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Car is ROUGH!
So is the owner

Dangermouse
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Just catching the last few minutes

No car though

sean
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
So is the owner

Roger that! Some seriously disturbed folks.

Iznodmad
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
It appeared 3 different times total. They even talked about it on the show, just for a moment.

sean
08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
It appeared 3 different times total. They even talked about it on the show, just for a moment.

Saw some parts laying around too, sun shade leaning against a tree and such.

Dangermouse
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM

I'll have to watch for it on On Demand.

Curiously addicting show. Things are bad when spring cleaning involves a snow shovel.

louielouie2000
08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
DeLoreans and hoarders seem to go hand and hand. I can't say how many DeLoreans I've gone to look at where the owner's house was that way. I guess the quirkiness of the car just attracts that type of person. :screwy:

Dracula
08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
And here I thought it would be a special on people hoarding DeLoreans. Granted, that does happen, too.

dvonk
08-08-2011, 11:00 PM
haha, i figured i wasnt the only one who was watching Hoarders tonight... my girlfriend really likes those shows and i sat down to watch with her. saw a brief clip of it and said "oh my god! thats a DeLorean!" i proceeded to tell my girlfriend that the woman probably thinks shes sitting on a gold mine, but being stored outside in florida for so many years, the frame is probably toast.

from the quick glimpses i saw of it i ballparked it at $5k or so. pretty rough shape though. what do you guys think?

Mike Z
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I missed the first half hour of the show but as soon as I tuned in they showed a brief glimpse of the front and I was like "Did I just see a DeLorean?!" Then later on they showed it a second time and honestly it didn't look like it was in horrible shape but obviously the frame must be awful.

I watch this show every Monday night. The clean-up crew consisted of mostly younger guys and I figured one of them would try to buy it.

Ryan King
08-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Hopefully it will get posted at some point...

DeLorean03
08-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Hopefully it will get posted at some point...

Like on the main website.... =P ?

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/?bcpid=740859023001&bclid=910141054001&bctid=1094312790001

Don't worry, Jessica had to show me too or I'd be saying the same thing (:...

DeLorean03
08-09-2011, 03:09 AM
To save the trouble: the car is at 8:34 and at 34:00 . That's it - maybe at most 4 seconds total of footage.

dvonk
08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
here are a couple screen captures for posterity or for those who dont want to bother loading up the video:

crappy resolution. maybe someone who DVRd it can get a full HD screen capture.

these are only stills of it on the show, no actual detailed video or anything. the only time it is mentioned is when the organizer asks if the goal is still to get the DeLorean in the garage.

Dangermouse
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
thanks dvonk.

that's in sad shape

Delorean02378
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
haha, i figured i wasnt the only one who was watching Hoarders tonight... my girlfriend really likes those shows and i sat down to watch with her. saw a brief clip of it and said "oh my god! thats a DeLorean!" i proceeded to tell my girlfriend that the woman probably thinks shes sitting on a gold mine, but being stored outside in florida for so many years, the frame is probably toast.

from the quick glimpses i saw of it i ballparked it at $5k or so. pretty rough shape though. what do you guys think?

I think it's impossible to determine a cars value by seeing it from a distance for a few seconds on TV. You'd have to know the history, mileage and status of the title. Most importantly, see it in person to view the panels, frame, interior, etc.

sean
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I think it's impossible to determine a cars value by seeing it from a distance for a few seconds on TV. .
This is true but if they kept up with the car in the same manneras they did their life I'd say you are looking at a sub $3k parts car or clean title for a DMCH rebuild, if that is even clean.

Delorean02378
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
This is true but if they kept up with the car in the same manneras they did their life I'd say you are looking at a sub $3k parts car or clean title for a DMCH rebuild, if that is even clean.

$3000 ? Show me where I can get a COMPLETE parts car for $3000 and I'll be there tomorrow to pick it up. Those no longer exist, if ever. Our stainless panels if in good condition would bring that much alone and that's an extrememly conservative estimate.
Here are a few parts currently on ebay.

LFF
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN-FENDER-LEFT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c64b83a5QQitemZ11070 1020069QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Hood (and this one is flat)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN-HOOD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c6424ff9QQitemZ11070 0417017QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Door Shell
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN-DOOR-SHELL-LH-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb3ab0efbQQitemZ20058 2827771QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Rear Bumper
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN-BUMPER-COVER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c19966f14QQitemZ12068 8373524QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Come on Sean, give our cars a little more credit.

Kirk

dvonk
08-09-2011, 06:01 PM
I think it's impossible to determine a cars value by seeing it from a distance for a few seconds on TV. You'd have to know the history, mileage and status of the title. Most importantly, see it in person to view the panels, frame, interior, etc.

i agree with you that it would need a closer look before a real value could be set... and im not a DeLorean appraiser or anything, but sitting outside in FL with no windshield, the interior is not going to be pretty, and frame is probably a rust pile. the woman's husband (probably the owner?) died suddenly years ago... i seriously doubt the time was taken to prep it for long-term storage... then stored outside? :(

i cant see it fetching a whole lot of money. i could always be wrong though...

sean
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
$3000 ? Show me where I can get a COMPLETE parts car for $3000 and

Come on Sean, give our cars a little more credit.

Kirk

show me how that POS is anywhere near complete. And seriously, who is buying door shells and flat hoods, especially weathered ones pictured? At best you make a few, two at most, grand off the quick sell parts like DS torsion bar, rear hub or front LCA. But this does not take into account the expense of moving that POS to a new location, removing the junk and packaging/shipping of said junk, you know all about that though with your recent purchase. You are kidding yourself if you think that car is a 5k car, but this is MY opinion and you don't need to have any of it.

Btw, asking prices on eBay are about worthless in determining the value of a piece.

Delorean02378
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
show me how that POS is anywhere near complete. And seriously, who is buying door shells and flat hoods, especially weathered ones pictured? At best you make a few, two at most, grand off the quick sell parts like DS torsion bar, rear hub or front LCA. But this does not take into account the expense of moving that POS to a new location, removing the junk and packaging/shipping of said junk, you know all about that though with your recent purchase. You are kidding yourself if you think that car is a 5k car, but this is MY opinion and you don't need to have any of it.

Btw, asking prices on eBay are about worthless in determining the value of a piece.

Agree, so let's look at some parts/rough Deloreans that have recently sold on Ebay as examples.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290576340487&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT#ht_670wt_1167

Here's a car that was in a hail storm and almost every panel was damaged, this would be extremely expensive to fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250852014542&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT#ht_4386wt_1167

A good example of a parts car. Previously painted and some of the panels are no good. The hood has signs of a serious X. The car looks a lot worse than the one pictured in this thread.

If the owner wanted to sell this for $3k I'd be knocking on her door tomorrow.

As far as my recent purchase (4389) I have no idea what I'll do with it. Right now I'm enjoying working on it little by little. I may attempt to restore it, I may sell it tomorrow, I may keep it and use it for parts or I may sell it for parts or I may let it set in the driveway covered up for the next 10 years.

Not trying to argue with you Sean but I've never seen a car like one in this thread sell for $3,000 and I've been following the prices of Deloreans since 1981 when my dad purchased 02378 new off the showroom floor.

Kirk

sean
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Not trying to argue with you Sean but I've never seen a car like one in this thread sell for $3,000 and I've been following the prices of Deloreans since 1981 when my dad purchased 02378 new off the showroom floor.

Kirk
That's fine but I have and oddly enough it was also a Florida car, I actually purchased it, sold some bits off and re sold it. Sorry i've only been following the market since 1997 so maybe that is where my ignorance is coming from :dunno:

You and I ain't gonna agree on this one and that's cool.

qwerk
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
And here I thought it would be a special on people hoarding DeLoreans. Granted, that does happen, too.

I heard there's a guy up in Alberta who's got 40 of 'em he refuses to sell!

DeMopar
08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
DeLoreans and hoarders seem to go hand and hand. I can't say how many DeLoreans I've gone to look at where the owner's house was that way. I guess the quirkiness of the car just attracts that type of person. :screwy:

Louie-hope I'm not included in that mix. Although, my wife accuses me of hoarding. :hihi2:

dvonk
08-10-2011, 01:58 AM
I heard there's a guy up in Alberta who's got 40 of 'em he refuses to sell!

i hope they have turbo... its a super nice upgrade because DeLoreans are a bit of slugs.

Ryan King
08-10-2011, 03:31 AM
It looks to me like the car is missing its windshield.

Farrar
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Louie-hope I'm not included in that mix. Although, my wife accuses me of hoarding. :hihi2:

When this subject crops up between me and my significant other, I say that I can make do with only one car when she can make do with only three pairs of shoes. ;)

Farrar

Canon20DFan
09-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Why is everyone arguing about a price estimate of the car? Shouldn't someone in Florida contact A&E and find the owner? I'm sure there's a current owner in or near West Palm Beach, FL who could swing by if they know the address...

Michael
09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Why is everyone arguing about a price estimate of the car?

:hysterical:
Hahahahahahahah....are you new here?

GS450-Junkie
10-14-2014, 10:08 PM
I know...really old post but I caught the re-run tonight. they said that she had lost her husband, mother, and father all within 6 months back in 1993. I'm pretty sure her husband was the original owner and that's why she cannot part with it in addition to the hoarding beginning at that time. Car has probably been sitting since 1993. Like the rest of you, saw it and did a double take because it flashed by so quickly. Had to rewind. Fascinating...