PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Looking - Under 20K Driver

OkieTV
01-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Hello all, and thanks for letting me be a part of the sickness that is the delorean.

I'm a collector/restorer and have a handfull of projects including a 58 chevy, 2 65 mustangs, an 80s camaro and a 68 ford pickup under my belt or in progress.

I've decided that with all the fever of it being 2015, that i should probably pick up a delorean. I wanted to wait a couple of years, but with interest in an item comes higher prices... and i don't feel like waiting a decade to see them stabilize after the spike.

I've got a budget of $15K, but i can handle up to 20K for the right car. I don't want to go over this, as it cuts into my budget on another project.

I'm well aware, that cars in this range are going to be problematic. the paint going to be faded or chipped, the stainless will likely have some dings, and the electric is gonna be bonkers at times.

What I'm looking for: A driveable car. I want one that while it's not perfect will start and drive safely. Sure the headliners and seats are toast.. sure it needs polished up and those little dings fixed.. the stereo wont work, but the windows still function, even if the switches are messed up a bit.

It'll need some updates, for sure. But I can enjoy it while i make those updates. I'm sure theres still a couple like this out there, and im sure this is the place to find them...

DMCBRANDON5873
01-12-2015, 08:06 PM
I might have the car your looking for PM me for more info I have Oct 5speed grey interior vin 5873 for sale

01-12-2015, 08:34 PM
I might have the car your looking for PM me for more info I have Oct 5speed grey interior vin 5873 for sale

Would love to know more about 5873...only two away! Was it originally a New England car as was mine (Concord NH). Feel free to post or PM me!

OkieTV
01-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Pm sent!

Dangermouse
01-13-2015, 08:43 AM

Aahhh, I thought it was yours Chris was listing. Sorry to hear you are selling.

OkieTV
01-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Still looking... let me know what you have or know of. Would like as minimal a project as possible. needs carpet seats headliner.. but no busted dashs.

DMCMW Dave
01-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Still looking... let me know what you have or know of. Would like as minimal a project as possible. needs carpet seats headliner.. but no busted dashs.

That was a $20K car a couple years ago but values have been a but crazy lately.

Iznodmad
01-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Does "crazy" values mean higher overall recently? And if so, what's the most likely cause?

refugeefromcalif
01-23-2015, 08:15 PM
what's the most likely cause?

Maybe the 2015 BTTF craze?

George

DMCMW Dave
01-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Does "crazy" values mean higher overall recently? And if so, what's the most likely cause?

My opinion, I could be wrong.

Overall? Somewhat. IMO the lower end of the market has gone up quite a bit, at a higher rate than at the top. Probably due to the BTTF attention pulling new people into the community of fans who tend to be shopping more toward the bottom than the top. There are usually more people shopping for lower priced cars but there seem to be even more of them lately.

Galt
01-24-2015, 04:10 PM

Because guys are buying the basket cases being passed on by careless owners and discovering what a time suck/money pit a 20K car is. A good sorted D costs $45K+ regardless if you buy it for 10K or 40K. There's always some expensive, fiddly fiasco lurking beneath the stainless be it the AC, a fuel system problem, every ancillary part on the engine, the binnacle, the seats, the suspension, torsion bar, ugly wheels, rusty frame, a mysterious leak, tacky PO upgrades etc, etc.

Far as I'm concerned the 40-50K 'perfect' cars aren't crazy, the 20K 'project' ones are.

DMCMW Dave
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Because guys are buying the basket cases being passed on by careless owners and discovering what a time suck/money pit a 20K car is. A good sorted D costs $45K+ regardless if you buy it for 10K or 40K. There's always some expensive, fiddly fiasco lurking beneath the stainless be it the AC, a fuel system problem, every ancillary part on the engine, the binnacle, the seats, the suspension, torsion bar, ugly wheels, rusty frame, a mysterious leak, tacky PO upgrades etc, etc.

Far as I'm concerned the 40-50K 'perfect' cars aren't crazy, the 20K 'project' ones are.

A couple of years ago the 20K project cars were 12K.

DMC-81
01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Another fact to consider is that 82+ million people in Gen X are entering middle age (those numbers are just in the U.S.). Like the Boomers, some of them will want cars that made an impression on them during their youth. Add this demand to a static and shrinking supply of cars and the prices will appreciate.

To each his own, but I bought a project D because I wanted a project. It's not crazy to me to find a surprise, rather it is a new challenge. Today, I spent an hour removing the surface rust from the throttle bobbin to prep it for plating. This is relaxing to me.

My advice is, if you want a project, the same rules apply for any classic car.... Do your research, have your list of must haves - and wants, look at several cars, and when you find the one for you, inspect it closely and tally the major parts that it needs. Know your restoration goals. Expect the unexpected. You're buying a 30+ year old car that was designed to last 30 years, so it will need some work.

OkieTV
01-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Lets clear some things up. Im a 30 year old guy in tv broadcast. I restore cars on the side as a hobby and have plenty of classics under my belt.

I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of buying a car for whatever price. Im here to FIND a car. I know what im doing, i know what problems lurk, ive done my research.

Let's keep the discussion of why and why not and how crazy it is and why people should pay 30K+ if the car even starts (i saw that post, i looked past your car you're selling for 30k because of it) to the general threads, not the for sale and wanted section.

I ask again... im looking for a car, running and driving. Not a discussion on the matter. If I was looking for a sorted car I'd fly to Houston and buy one to drive home.

Iznodmad
01-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Good luck, theMonch (yeah, it is an inside joke). Apparently it is a bad time to be shopping for what you want. Sorry to rain on your parade. With your sparkling personality, I am sure our community will just deliver what you want on a silver ( actually stainless) platter now! Geez.

sdg3205
01-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Lets clear some things up. Im a 30 year old guy in tv broadcast. I restore cars on the side as a hobby and have plenty of classics under my belt.

I'm not here to debate the pros and cons of buying a car for whatever price. Im here to FIND a car. I know what im doing, i know what problems lurk, ive done my research.

Let's keep the discussion of why and why not and how crazy it is and why people should pay 30K+ if the car even starts (i saw that post, i looked past your car you're selling for 30k because of it) to the general threads, not the for sale and wanted section.

I ask again... im looking for a car, running and driving. Not a discussion on the matter. If I was looking for a sorted car I'd fly to Houston and buy one to drive home.

Don't take anything personally. This is a discussion forum - threads typically result in discussion except for "for sale" threads where discussion is not permitted.

We see "I want a project car" requests umpteen times per year. That's cool. We're behind you, but it's your responsibility to find a car - not ours to provide said car. If it ain't listed for sale, it could take a while.

Have you tried search tempest? It looks at craigslist as a whole - usually a few project cars there. Dave swingle is right - the cost of project cars have sky rocketed. $20k for a basket case (with a fried dash too) is not an unusual asking price.

You may think you know everything and that our discussion is wasting your time. It's not. This comes from ownership experience. Some of us have worked on several cars. Every marque has different ownership costs, parts availability, community support etc.

Keep learning. You'll be back and asking questions. Until then, best of luck.

PS - American classics are awesome, but surely you realize when you need the right part for your DeLorean, Autozone won't help much.

Mike Z
01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Just out of curiosity is the $25K rule for a good, reliable DeLorean out the window now? If so what seems to be the current price for a good, reliable, possibly even daily driver DeLorean?

01-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Just out of curiosity is the $25K rule for a good, reliable DeLorean out the window now? If so what seems to be the current price for a good, reliable, possibly even daily driver DeLorean?

I think that rule is still a good measuring stick. I bought mine last September for that amount and I'd consider my DeLorean a good+ example and very reliable.

Rich_NYS
01-28-2015, 12:14 PM

I was just wondering the same thing....

Henrik
01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Today, I spent an hour removing the surface rust from the throttle bobbin to prep it for plating. This is relaxing to me.

+1

OkieTV
02-09-2015, 10:47 PM
still looking.... those who had offered cars up never got back to me so the search continues...

John U
02-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Good luck, theMonch (yeah, it is an inside joke). Apparently it is a bad time to be shopping for what you want. Sorry to rain on your parade. With your sparkling personality, I am sure our community will just deliver what you want on a silver ( actually stainless) platter now! Geez.

Bwahahahahahah I totally forgot about theMonch! Thanks for the memories :)