PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension springs

Trstno1
01-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Alright guys-

I just swapped my tires back to stock spec sizes (Cooper Cobra's 235/60/R15-rear & 195/60/r14-front) and now have a car with the stock "higher" front end profile. I think I would really like to lower the front end in order to get a even or slight raked profile. Though I have a few questions you guys may be able to answer...

Do I just need to swap the springs on the front with lowering springs to get the original height that Lotus designed? If so, what springs are the best and who sells them? I've noticed that Hervey has a front pair for $160, does anyone have these? Also, while in there what other parts should I replace? Bushings, shocks, etc.... Will the lowered front end have clearance issues with the tires? Could I still get a jack under the front end? I'm not looking to spend a couple grand to get the profile I desire, so if you guys could suggest the most economical way to get an even or slightly raked profile, i.e. (Less parts to purchase the better) I would really appreciate it. And just so you know everything suspension wise is stock.

Opinions?

Trstno1
01-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Sorry guys, the internet glitched here and froze......I hit the submit button again, thus the double post......:swear1:

Mark D
01-30-2015, 05:20 PM
All you'll need to swap are the springs to lower the front suspension. There are a few things to check "while you're in there" like ball joints, bushings, bearings, etc. but none of that really needs to be replaced if the parts are still in good condition.

Lowering springs can be purchased from pretty much any one of the vendors and all lower the front to a height somewhere closer to the original designed ride height you see on preproduction development cars. If you run a search I think there are a few more threads comparing the different options and approximate drop for each brand of spring. I purchased my springs from DMCMW and they are made by Eibach... I'm very happy with the stance overall.

In this photo you can see my car (closest to the camera) compared to my friends car with a stock suspension. I am running the same Cooper Cobras as you in stock sizes. My friends car also has stock size tires but a mismatch of brands.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22014&d=1379479685

Note, I've also lowered my car in the rear slightly with the adjustable spring collars on the SPAX shocks I have installed.

Here are a few more for comparison:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22019&d=1379479711

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22018&d=1379479706

Here's one more showing my car prior to lowering...for whatever reason I thought it was especially high even compared to some other stock cars. From what I've read there were a couple of different height stock springs fit to match based on variations in the fiberglass bodies.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25986&d=1394735652

Trstno1
01-30-2015, 05:36 PM
All you'll need to swap are the springs to lower the front suspension. There are a few things to check "while you're in there" like ball joints, bushings, bearings, etc. but none of that really needs to be replaced if the parts are still in good condition.

Lowering springs can be purchased from pretty much any one of the vendors and all lower the front to a height somewhere closer to the original designed ride height you see on preproduction development cars. If you run a search I think there are a few more threads comparing the different options and approximate drop for each brand of spring. I purchased my springs from DMCMW and they are made by Eibach... I'm very happy with the stance overall.

In this photo you can see my car (closest to the camera) compared to my friends car with a stock suspension. I am running the same Cooper Cobras as you in stock sizes. My friends car also has stock size tires but a mismatch of brands.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22014&d=1379479685

Note, I've also lowered my car in the rear slightly with the adjustable spring collars on the SPAX shocks I have installed.

Here are a few more for comparison:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22019&d=1379479711

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22018&d=1379479706

Here's one more showing my car prior to lowering...for whatever reason I thought it was especially high even compared to some other stock cars. From what I've read there were a couple of different height stock springs fit to match based on variations in the fiberglass bodies.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25986&d=1394735652

Thanks for the reply!

Before you lowered the rear, did the car have more of a raked stance? Also do you have any issues with tire rubbing or getting a jack under the front end now?

Rich
01-30-2015, 06:54 PM
First, about any concerns relative to running a lower ride height, the OE-size tires will clear without problems with specified ride height. You can expect more tenderness in terms of front spoiler clearance on driveway ramps. Lower is lower.

As far as setting it up with "height that Lotus designed" there is no documentation telling us what that was. It remains an open question.

There is this: The alignment specs in the manual call for the front and rear crossmembers to both be 5.5in. above the floor. See K:08:01. Measure over a smooth, flat surface with full tank, normal inflation to get an idea of where you are with your OE setup. Most OE cars will be higher than 5.5in. I would guess. I don't know of any data on that.

Now to the questions about a modified susp. setup and rake.
Here is an example of one way to go. See before and after shots below.

Before, OE susp. setup:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3625&d=1313372191

After, with susp. setup as described below photo:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3624&d=1313372184

After: Eibach springs in front (which alone determines front ride height) plus Eibach springs in rear with replacement shocks (which themselves have an adjustable perch collar for rear ride height adjustment). Rear ht. set to get rear crossmember height equal to front crossmember height. This car also happens to have adjustable lower links in order to get correct rear camber with modified rear ride height.

As this one turned out ride height is 5.5in. at the F/R crossmembers give or take a few tenths.

Your results will vary. Tolerances in frames, springs, bushing pre-load, friction, shock preload will mean things are never quite the same car to car. As for rake, well, it depends on how you define it. With the frame set evenly front/rear after the mods, as in this case, you could say it's got zero rake. But even then the car appears to have a bit of negative (nose down) rake due to the body design and proportions, plus the staggered wheel/tire sizes.

You ask how to do it on a budget. No input on that. This post is about one of your options, which is 4 Eibachs plus new rear shocks (to allow rear ride ht adj.) in which case you might as well get new front shocks, too. Adjustable rear links are an optional plus in terms of handling and tire wear.

Trstno1
01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Does anyone a a picture of a car with just the front lowering springs installed?

Tillsy
01-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Could I still get a jack under the front end?

I can't - I have to use a low profile OEM jack from my daily drive to raise my front enough to get my heavy duty jack under and lift the rest of the way.

Rich
01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Does anyone a a picture of a car with just the front lowering springs installed?

Found an image on the web. It's low-res and it's only a guess about the setup in this photo, still it might give you some idea of the look: LINK (http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1981_dmc_12_delorean_collector_car_automatic_runs_ great_clean_car_2560092412310115598.jpg)

Rich
01-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Inserted answers here in boldface:

I just swapped my tires back to stock spec sizes and now have a car with the stock "higher" front end profile. I think I would really like to lower the front end in order to get a even or slight raked profile. Though I have a few questions you guys may be able to answer...

Do I just need to swap the springs on the front with lowering springs to get the original height that Lotus designed? Setting aside the "Lotus designed" issue, yes, the springs are what determine the frt ride height. If so, what springs are the best and who sells them? I've noticed that Hervey has a front pair for $160, does anyone have these? Also, while in there what other parts should I replace? Bushings, shocks, etc....Depends on how old/worn the parts you have are. Sway bar bushing replacement, ball joints and tie rod ends are worth considering. Have a shop inspect your ball joints and tie rod ends if you don't know how. Those are safety items. Shocks should be replaced if the old ones are worn out. If you still have original brake hoses replace them. Will the lowered front end have clearance issues with the tires? No. Could I still get a jack under the front end? Yes. I'm not looking to spend a couple grand to get the profile I desire, so if you guys could suggest the most economical way to get an even or slightly raked profile, i.e. (Less parts to purchase the better) I would really appreciate it. And just so you know everything suspension wise is stock.

Opinions?

Thin-wallet plan: Install replacement front springs and enough fresh parts to be sure your car's front suspension is safe for the next few years.

In that case, without lowering of the rear, your car will be raked. You will need to get the headlights aimed and what you can see from the inside rearview mirror will change a little bit.

Josh
01-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Here is the front only lowered. I dont intend on dropping the rear. I like the rake.

As for parts its a good idea to replace the shocks as you have to yank them out while you are at it. But as mentioned if they are in good condition no sense replacing them.

It is harder to jack up the front of my car, a low profile jack would be nice. But right now I can get my current jack under the front of the frame if I take the saddle off.

Trstno1
02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Inserted answers here in boldface:

Thin-wallet plan: Install replacement front springs and enough fresh parts to be sure your car's front suspension is safe for the next few years.

In that case, without lowering of the rear, your car will be raked. You will need to get the headlights aimed and what you can see from the inside rearview mirror will change a little bit.

Ok, so let's assume the Oem shocks are good. What other front suspension parts should I replace along with the lowered front springs while in there? I'm not even sure what a bad bushing looks like in order to diagnose the current state of mine. Unfortunately I really have no experience with suspension work at all. LQA's What bushings? Ball joints? Any help would be appreciated.

Trstno1
02-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Here is the front only lowered. I dont intend on dropping the rear. I like the rake.

As for parts its a good idea to replace the shocks as you have to yank them out while you are at it. But as mentioned if they are in good condition no sense replacing them.

It is harder to jack up the front of my car, a low profile jack would be nice. But right now I can get my current jack under the front of the frame if I take the saddle off.

Your car has the exact stance I'm looking for! What shocks and springs do you have on the front?

Trstno1
02-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Also, with your setup do have issue with your front tires rubbing? I assume you have stock tire sizes?

Rich
02-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Ok, so let's assume the Oem shocks are good. What other front suspension parts should I replace along with the lowered front springs while in there? I'm not even sure what a bad bushing looks like in order to diagnose the current state of mine. Unfortunately I really have no experience with suspension work at all. LQA's What bushings? Ball joints? Any help would be appreciated.

Best option is to take the D to a shop and have them look it over. They know what to look for (cracks, looseness or excess play, torn boots, etc.) in the entire suspension-steering system. Any good independent shop will do. Ask them for a safety inspection. Include the front brakes.

PS, this might also be the shop you want to install your new springs/shocks since you mention you are new to suspension work and there will need to be an alignment check afterward in any case.

Josh
02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Also, with your setup do have issue with your front tires rubbing? I assume you have stock tire sizes?

Im running the exact same tires as you :) No rubbing whatsoever.

They are the Delorean Europe springs. I hear they are an advertised 4cm drop. Not sure the exact drop on my car but its somewhere around 2 inches.