PDA

View Full Version : Requesting my car for BTTF event???Pro's/com--opinions??

leroylem
02-20-2015, 03:53 PM
A Minor League baseball Marketing Manager has contacted me about a "BTTF" nite at the ballpark this summer---wants my car there---says free tickets, dinner, promotional gifts, and possibly "cash" compensation. Says I can even throw out the first pitch----WoW!! About 150 miles away-----any opinions/concerns----has anyone done something similar---how much "cash compensation "would be expected???

Leroy 2126

Rich W
02-20-2015, 05:20 PM
A Minor League baseball Marketing Manager has contacted me about a "BTTF" nite at the ballpark this summer---wants my car there---says free tickets, dinner, promotional gifts, and possibly "cash" compensation. Says I can even throw out the first pitch----WoW!! About 150 miles away-----any opinions/concerns----has anyone done something similar---how much "cash compensation "would be expected???

Leroy 2126

Hi Leroy,

The DeLorean Midwest Connection club has received 3 similar requests so far this year (must be an email going around to all the minor league baseball teams).

Each team is doing things a little differently, with most offering at least free tickets (one with a Sky Box) and the expected baseball game food items, etc.

One is about 120 miles away from the Chicago area, while the other two are much closer. We expect at least fuel cost reimbursement for 240 mile round trip.

No offer to throw out the first pitch (I have always wanted to do that). The only concern is parking the DeLorean(s) where they may be hit by a foul ball, etc.

If you do the first pitch, I recommend practicing a few throws (at the correct distance) before the game. Dress as Doc Brown or Marty McFly if you throw bad.

If you only want to cover your fuel expense (and they are covering everything else already) and since it's a BTTF night, tell them they owe you $88 for fuel.

Have Fun.

Later,
Rich W.

mluder
02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Make sure you are clear on exactly what they are expecting of you and your car...
Will the car be in an area that is roped off to keep fans back? Assume that you will be watching the car during fan arrival pre-game.
Will they provide security to watch the car continuously when you are watching the game if it is to be left out in the open?
Prepare to leave a bit early to get your car out of there before all of the fans come streaming out of the stadium - some may have enjoyed numerous adult beverages and feeling a little rowdy.

Alternatively - you could possibly pre-arrange to have the car on display for a time before the first pitch and maybe through the first inning and then move it to a secure location.

The biggest warning I have for you based on experience is that some people simply do not respect other peoples property. I have had my car hit 3 times in one night by a Frisbee at an outdoor screening of BTTF. I have had a guy jump into my open door while the par was parked waiting for a parade to start... I was only a few feet away fortunately. I have overheard others badgering their buddies to "just get in and we'll take your picture" while unbeknownst to them I, the owner, was standing right there. I gave them a stern look and told him it wasn't a good idea...
You get the picture.

All that said, I still routinely do events like this and each time I get a little wiser. I'm not trying to make it sound like you shouldn't do it - you definitely should. Just make sure you know as much as possible what you're agreeing to.

Cheers
Steve

Soundkillr
02-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Que, the fly ball right into the hood.... :)

spedlot
02-21-2015, 12:07 AM
That's awesome. What city or team is it. Would be cool to check it out.

refugeefromcalif
02-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Que, the fly ball right into the hood.... :)

Or the LFF...

George

David T
02-21-2015, 10:12 AM
Typically your insurance will NOT cover you if you do an event, especially for hire. Check with your carrier. What is normally done is the event provides you a Certificate of Insurance for the event in effect paying to cover your car with their insurance in case anything happens. A static (where you just park the car and no one touches it) display is worth $500 for the day. The event arranges transportation to and from and insurance. Depending on what else is involved the price can go up. I have done weddings, photo shoots, TV appearances, store openings, parades, and movie nights. If you are serious about this you find a "broker" and list your car with them. That is how event planners find you, through brokers. Google "Laura Spencer rides a Delorean", you can see my car on GMA.