PDA

View Full Version : SpecialTAuto stainless brake hose kit!

hillbillydmc
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey y'all,
I just installed these on my Delorean VIN#3270. They fit and look great, and came with all the hardware needed.

Casey B.
Delorean VIN#3270
5 spd,gray interior
Performance custom built PRV v6

SIMid
08-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Just a precaution, I've been told SS Brake Hose Kits are illegal on cars in Australia (definately in Victoria). So check with your mechanic or Road Authority before going ahead.

I wish I could put on a SS Brake Hose kit on mine :(

Chris 16409
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
SS Brake Hose Kits are illegal on cars in Australia

Gosh everything is illegal over in Australia :wink:

Bitsyncmaster
08-11-2011, 05:50 AM
When I bought mine from John, they are marked DOT approved. I still have not installed the rear ones yet but the front was easy to install.

sean
08-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Has the issue been resolved where the brake line goes through the frame? I attempted to installed an earlier set of his and the anchor seat in the frame (where the line goes through the frame) was larger than the nut on the brake line which meant when you went to tighten it the line would spin. John said to just jam a screwdriver in there while tightening. I didn't like this and sent them back.

Chris 16409
08-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Has the issue been resolved where the brake line goes through the frame? I attempted to installed an earlier set of his and the anchor seat in the frame (where the line goes through the frame) was larger than the nut on the brake line which meant when you went to tighten it the line would spin. John said to just jam a screwdriver in there while tightening. I didn't like this and sent them back.

When I got mine from John, the rear lines fit snugly in the frame mounting brackets. I assume all of his current inventory is the new updated version.

DeLorean03
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Casey and I installed the front brake lines with little problems. Only real tough part was getting the line loose where they mount in the bracket connected to the frame. Two days of that connection soaking in penetrant spray made it a LOT easier than it could have been. Front lines are outstanding and well worth $118. The rubber lines being 30 years old and finally giving up the ghost stands as an amazing testament to original DMC parts - these SS ones should a lifetime.

ramblinmike
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Just a precaution, I've been told SS Brake Hose Kits are illegal on cars in Australia (definately in Victoria). So check with your mechanic or Road Authority before going ahead.

I wish I could put on a SS Brake Hose kit on mine :(

Why?

DeloreanJoshQ
08-25-2011, 06:59 PM
How different of a brake pedal feel did you all experience with the stainless steel braided line upgrade over the original rubber hoses?

DeLorean03
08-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Felt nearly identical to the old lines. I haven't felt any difference to note in my head - so I'd say pretty much identical.

Bitsyncmaster
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Felt nearly identical to the old lines. I haven't felt any difference to note in my head - so I'd say pretty much identical.

I would have to say the same but I only did the fronts. I know a lot of people claim the SS braided lines feel firmer but I still can't believe that braid does anything to reduce the line expansion. It may be the braid keeps the line cooler and that may help.

DeLorean03
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I would have to say the same but I only did the fronts. I know a lot of people claim the SS braided lines feel firmer but I still can't believe that braid does anything to reduce the line expansion. It may be the braid keeps the line cooler and that may help.

Bitsync, you and I are in the same boat. I did only the front too. Pretty much feel exactly the same to the rubber lines.

TTait
08-29-2011, 03:24 AM

I would think that old oem brake lines might swell a bit under pressure. Multiply that X4 and you might feel it. Also, you can't install the new lines without bleeding the system, which may not have been done in years. At that point any new set of brake lines would feel firmer.

DeLorean
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
you can get SS DOT approved brake lines here in the US, and likely this is what should be purchased. Unless the SS brake lines also say DOT approved, I would stick with the original rubber units myself.

dn010
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
I've had John's SS hose kit for probably over 5 years with no complaints. I am not sure there is a big difference between the "feel" when you apply the brakes but they still look good. I went with these because of the look and because I like the idea of steel protecting the lines instead of rubber.

thegovernor9912
09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I have talked to a couple people that have said that they don't feel the difference with the stainless lines. I guess DMC used high quality rubber in the soft lines, because they have lasted 30 years and don't swell like the lines on other cars.

That being said, I had to put them on my SHO because the rear lines would expand and drag the brakes permanantly on. I would only put them on if I was replacing deteriorated parts. You HAVE to change the fluid periodically because you can't inspect the line of the stainless ones like to you can with the rubber