PDA

View Full Version : Shoot for the moon?

Jonathan
02-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Did I miss the memo where our cars are now worth $65k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-Cosmetically-Restored-1-418-Actual-Mile-DMC-12-2-85L-Volvo-V6-3-Speed-Auto-/221682512186?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339d4eb13a&item=221682512186&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

VIN 16118 for sale in Charlotte, NC at a classic car restoration place.

It has a buy it now of $64,900. It looks like a very nice car, but wow, that's quite a bit of cash.

Dangermouse
02-25-2015, 09:39 AM
It was first listed a year a go for the value price of $69,900, and unsurprisingly it hasn't sold, so they have reduced it to $65k.

The mileage has remained unchanged at 1418, which would imply no test drives, perhaps.

Jonathan
02-25-2015, 10:07 AM
It was first listed a year a go for the value price of $69,900, and unsurprisingly it hasn't sold, so they have reduced it to $65k.

The mileage has remained unchanged at 1418, which would imply no test drives, perhaps.

Or that the angle drive is on the to-do list.

Thanks for the history. :) "Unsurprisingly" that it hasn't sold is exactly right.

Farrar
02-25-2015, 11:17 AM
Hey, it's been "cosmetically restored." Doesn't that just fill you with confidence?

Perhaps a museum will buy it.

vps3922
02-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Very interesting flip switches in the center console. The kid in me wants to flip them and see what they do. :hysterical:

mluder
02-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Very interesting flip switches in the center console. The kid in me wants to flip them and see what they do. :hysterical:

Oh.. Yeah... I wonder what they do?

Farrar
02-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Very interesting flip switches in the center console.

Each one increases the resale value of the car by $8,000.

mluder
02-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Each one increases the resale value of the car by $8,000.

:eek7: I'm gonna have to install some in my car.

Jonathan
02-25-2015, 05:33 PM

I think those are the secret weapons switches for the rocket launchers and machine guns. Of course, this must be the movie car for that James Bond film they never made, 'From Dunmurry With Love.' I think the Bond girl in it was named Delores Von Steelwing. Sexy thing... although her eye brows weren't quite right.

Chris Burns
02-25-2015, 05:43 PM
I spoke to the seller briefly when he put it up for sale. The cosmetic restoration was done by Richard Petty's shop in NC. The stripe was custom made by a local shop.

The car was used to promote his brewery company. It's a nice looking car but no where near worth that much. There is a video of it on You Tube done by SaabKyle. Just search for 1982 Delorean.

The frame still has the black undercoating that most later build cars came with. The shocks have been replaced with DMC Europe shocks. The left taillight is out and the coolant bottle needs to replaced.

Here is the video of the car:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnSQQhYojw

Citizen
02-25-2015, 07:03 PM
I think those are the secret weapons switches for the rocket launchers and machine guns. Of course, this must be the movie car for that James Bond film they never made, 'From Dunmurry With Love.' I think the Bond girl in it was named Delores Von Steelwing. Sexy thing... although her eye brows weren't quite right.

That's very creative!

Sometimes when people ask me what is that "4th pedal on the left" (what is really the dead-pedal), I tell them that's how I activate the flux-capacitor. Sort of a reverse joke of my own pulled on them before they can kill me with the old and tired Where's the FC? joke.

Thomas

Dangermouse
02-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Wasn't that the prequel to the proposed "Man with the Golden Faucet" where James Z Bond is ably assisted by Moneygoney?

Jonathan
02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
That's very creative!

Sometimes when people ask me what is that "4th pedal on the left" (what is really the dead-pedal), I tell them that's how I activate the flux-capacitor. Sort of a reverse joke of my own pulled on them before they can kill me with the old and tired Where's the FC? joke.

Thomas

Haha, nice! A buddy back in highschool drove a Sunbird and it had this little lit up toggle switch just below the radio that was for the fog lights and we used to tell the ladies that was the turbo button. Man, were we ever clever back then. How could that not have worked?!

Wasn't that the prequel to the proposed "Man with the Golden Faucet" where James Z Bond is ably assisted by Moneygoney?

Oh, man, I wish I was better at photoshop! There are some hilarious movie posters in my mind at the moment combining a few of these things... lol.

Farrar
02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Here's a video of that same car, from over a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnSQQhYojw