PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Users?

Dangermouse
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Any Kindle users out there?

Considering buying a Kindle for use on vacations mostly. Leaning towards the wifi only version, loading books at the house.

$139 at Amazon ( not going for the ad-free version) for I think the 3rd gen.

Though looking on craigslist at used ones. Any concerns with 2nd generation I should watch for?

Any satisfied/unsatisfied users?

sean
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
My wife LOVES hers. I think she may have a 2nd gen with wifi only. She is also an iPad user and prefers doing her reading on the kindle over the iPad.

1Mcfly4u
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
My mom has a second gen kindle, Ive had to do a hard reset on it three times now within the past year. I dont think that kindles are that great. On the flip side I bought my daughter as Nook for Christmas last year, and other then her leaving it in the car overnight on a 20 degree night, which for anyone that doesnt know is not bueno for lcd, it broke the screen, took it right back to Barnes & Noble and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked.

Kukem
08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
My parents and my sister all have 3rd gen Kindles and they love them. The battery life is super long and the screen is easy on the eyes even in sunlight. Spend a bit extra and get the book cover with the light in it. It's great for protecting the machine and adds a perfect amount of light for reading on the plane or in bed in low light.

Dangermouse
08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, we'll get a cover. Most of the ones on CL come with a case, which is a plus.

Any concerns of battery life degrading over time?

I had heard that some public libraries are loaning kindle versions of books. Any experiences of that?

If you do a hard-reset, do you lose all the books you have bought?

Is there a way to back up your books to a PC or website?

Kevin
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I love my Kindle, so much better than having to store and maintain a library of books at home. Great for traveling too.

Any concerns of battery life degrading over time?

I haven't heard of or experienced this. The battery usually lasts about a month with frequent reading, so it doesn't need as much recharging as say a cell phone. So I'd say if any degradation does happen, it takes a LONG time.

Amazon keeps track of the books you buy so you can always restore them to your Kindle or any future Kindle you buy.

My wife LOVES hers. I think she may have a 2nd gen with wifi only. She is also an iPad user and prefers doing her reading on the kindle over the iPad.

Agreed. Some people don't understand why I would own an iPad AND a Kindle. It simply comes down to the reading experience THAT much better on the Kindle.

$139 at Amazon ( not going for the ad-free version) for I think the 3rd gen.

Though looking on craigslist at used ones. Any concerns with 2nd generation I should watch for?

The 2nd gen is fine, but I would recommend the 3rd gen. It's MUCH lighter, smaller, easier to hold, and the screen has better contrast so it's easier to read. It's an all around better reading experience, I've owned both models.

sean
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

The books are bound, no pun intended, to your kindle account and can be transferred to a new kindle or even a kindle app for your iPhone, iPad, droid, etc.

Dangermouse
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM
The 2nd gen is fine, but I would recommend the 3rd gen. It's MUCH lighter, smaller, easier to hold, and the screen has better contrast so it's easier to read. It's an all around better reading experience, I've owned both models.

Do you know what's the model number of the 3rd Gen.? I have seen D00701 on CL with pictures of both 2nd and 3rd gen so I am not sure. The Amazon site doesn't show it at all.

The books are bound, no pun intended, to your kindle account and can be transferred to a new kindle or even a kindle app for your iPhone, iPad, droid, etc.

So I take it that you can't "share " books like a dead-tree version, short of actually sharing the kindle itself.

Can you have a book on two devices simultaneously, say the kindle and ipad?

sean
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
So I take it that you can't "share " books like a dead-tree version, short of actually sharing the kindle itself.
never tried it but I'd assume you could but it would require you to also share your account information.

Never tried that either but I think it would be similar to the above, if you had the kindle account info on each device then yeah.

Kevin
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Do you know what's the model number of the 3rd Gen.? I have seen D00701 on CL with pictures of both 2nd and 3rd gen so I am not sure. The Amazon site doesn't show it at all.

This is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313082647&sr=8-1

The Kindle 3 is the first one to be available in the Graphite color, so that might be the easiest way to tell. I don't have my Kindle around at the moment to check the model number on the back

You can actually "lend" books to other Kindle owners for 14 days. But it's just like lending an actual book in the sense that you can't be reading it at the same time. I've tried this and it works great.

Yes your books will sync to all your devices where you have logged in with your Kindle account. It will even sync the last page read so you're always ready to continue where you left off.

Dangermouse
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
This is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313082647&sr=8-1

The Kindle 3 is the first one to be available in the Graphite color, so that might be the easiest way to tell. I don't have my Kindle around at the moment to check the model number on the back

You can actually "lend" books to other Kindle owners for 14 days. But it's just like lending an actual book in the sense that you can't be reading it at the same time. I've tried this and it works great.

Yes your books will sync to all your devices where you have logged in with your Kindle account. It will even sync the last page read so you're always ready to continue where you left off.

Great info, thanks.

Were the previous versions just available in White?

Kevin
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Great info, thanks.

Were the previous versions just available in White?

Glad to help. Yes, just white with an aluminum backing and bigger buttons on the sides.

Farrar
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a WiFi Kindle 2 and love it so much that I am making a DeLorean Workshop Manual for it. :)

Farrar

Dangermouse
08-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Anyone have a library that loans kindle books?

Farrar
08-11-2011, 03:52 PM

My local library does e-books, but not Kindle specific. Kindle doesn't discriminate against most other e-book file types. I download most of my books from Project Gutenberg, but I can also view .pdf files on the Kindle 2.

Farrar

Bitsyncmaster
08-11-2011, 05:17 PM
My wife loves hers. Remember to shut off the WiFi when your just reading. That will save battery power. She has charged it twice in three months.

Now if I can get her an Amazon account not using my credit card:hmm:

jackb
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a 2nd gen kindle (wifi only) and I love it. Especially because....

...Torrents are your friend.