PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Tech Event (Spring 2015)-Saturday April 18th- in Lexington NC

Iznodmad
03-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Who is interested in getting together once again for a little DeLorean fun? If you are unsure what this is about, check out the threads from previous events here in this section of the forum. Also, come check out my newest addition, VIN 888, that I literally got this week! I just couldn't stay away from owning another early VIN. :shocked: Plans for the event will be as usual. Start time in the "late morning", or whenever you'd like to arrive. Break for lunch and continue projects as time allows. Just add your name, if bringing a D and/or guests, and what projects you would like to work on.

Hokie
03-14-2015, 10:04 PM
I plan to be there and will probably bring a new rheostat hoping someone can help me install. My D is currently in the shop. Hopefully all goes well there but if not, I might need to seek help fixing whatever they screw up.

Kevin
03-15-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm in! Not too sure about projects yet, but I know I'd like to replace the WUR, door lock module, and maybe the headliners sometime soon.

todd1561
03-16-2015, 03:41 PM
I'll be there too! Looking forward to it as usual. It'll just be me, although I'll see if I can get Jim over in Raleigh interested.

Edit: Congrats on the new car, Darren! You are truly nuts.

Michael Babb
03-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Will be with you all in spirit! Don't have too much fun without me.

keepitsimple
03-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Will be with you all in spirit! Don't have too much fun without me.

Hello everybody , congrats on 888 I love to be there

Iznodmad
03-25-2015, 01:36 PM
I've got an exciting update to this thread. I've spoken with Rob Grady of PJ Grady and he wants to attend the tech event. But there is a catch. We need to re-schedule the date in order to have Rob Grady attend. To those that have responded thus far, how does Saturday May 16th sound to enable Rob to attend? There are still some details to work out, but Rob would be available for general inspections and perhaps some other repair work by appointment. He would be able to bring some parts for sale as well, ordered in advance of course. Depending on demand, we could also work out a possible two day event into Sunday as well. Please respond if you can make the date switch and if this announcement makes you want to attend (if you weren't sure before) then please add your name to the list. There will be more info available regarding having Rob attend in the near future. For now, you can also add what you may want Rob to do to your car as well. Thanks and looking forward to hearing some feedback...

Rad Dad
03-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Darren - I am in the process of some Medical issues - nothing serious other than for the fact that getting a date for some of this stuff is very serious. So, I hope to attend and if I can't make it I will let you know. Also, I know Rob and have high regards for his work.. If it becomes a two day event I would like to have him do some work. I'll keep you posted. May16th seems to work for me.

keepitsimple
03-25-2015, 08:48 PM
yes may 16 would actually be even better

Kevin
03-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Ah that would be cool! Though I can't make it that day, have to travel for a wedding. But have fun!

Hokie
03-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Put me down under 'most likely but not certain' for May. Rheostat, seat belt buzzer, and seat belt mechanism refurbishment might be some topics to discuss with Rob. If I'm able to attend and he has the rheostat I'll buy it from him. Rob is the person responsible for the overall excellent condition of my D. Look forward to meeting him someday.

todd1561
03-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Sounds like an excellent addition, I've never met Rob. I should still be able to make it. What's the process for ordering something from Rob to have him bring down? Order on his website and just specify to not ship? I could use a new gas cap, so shouldn't be a big deal for him to bring on his trip.

Todd

TripleZeroFilms
03-26-2015, 12:52 PM
I was not going to be able to attend the April meeting due to family issues, but this date change seems as though it might allow me to make it. Nothing definite, but you can put me down for a strong "maybe." (Does such a thing exist? :biggrin:)

refugeefromcalif
03-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Nothing definite, but you can put me down for a strong "maybe." (Does such a thing exist? :biggrin:)

So, A Firm Possibility, of a Definite Maybe... :biggrin:

(Sorry guys, I couldn't resist).

George

Iznodmad
03-28-2015, 11:58 AM
To answer your question about ordering parts Todd, I would call Rob Grady directly and tell him what you want. I think he prefers phone over Internet anyway.

Iznodmad
03-28-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm considering keeping both dates open. I have some people that could only make the first date and some where the second is actually better. Of course the second date is the only date that Rob Grady can attend. So, someone like Kevin could come for the first date. People are also welcome to attend both dates if they wish. I have a few owners that are not members here where there are conflicts with the two proposed dates. That is why I would like to offer either or both dates to those that would like to attend.

Hey George! Why don't you make a commitment to one of the dates? Even if it is a perhaps definitely maybe.

Marcello, you bringing your 5speed or your new project auto?

Tom hasn't touched his car since it quit on him a few miles from his house. He will be bringing it on a trailer so we can hopefully figure out what caused it to quit on him.

PJ Grady Inc.
03-28-2015, 12:51 PM
I have no problems with emails, texts, PM's, PMS you name it!!!! It's just my website that's not up to date yet. I'm harboring vast quantities of cool parts that nobody knows about yet. At least I'll always have enough spares for my cars :-)
PS the PMS line was a joke OK?
Rob

To answer your question about ordering parts Todd, I would call Rob Grady directly and tell him what you want. I think he prefers phone over Internet anyway.

keepitsimple
03-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Hello Darren, how did you know about my new project? Vin 6438. At this point I don't know what I will bring. It all depends on how far along I am with the restoration by May 16.

Iznodmad
03-29-2015, 09:34 PM
I know about 6438 because you posted about buying it last month in another thread and I read about it there. These cars are addictive, aren't they? I hope Yianni sees this thread and can bring his car again. Haven't heard from him since DCS I believe.

Kevin
03-29-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm considering keeping both dates open.

I'd be down for that if you end up offering both dates.

yianni
04-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Darren, Thanks again for the invitation. I would like to attend, but I have a conflict with the earlier date. May 16 should work for me. Would like to bring my car down and have some of the guys help fine tune the engine. Have not done much work on it car since the DCS event. There's not alot of support for these cars in my area. Best.

briancaughman
04-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Darren,

Thanks for the invitation. I'm planning to attend. Not a D owner yet, but I may bring something "interesting" for the nice drive up.

Brian C

Iznodmad
04-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Ok folks, this coming Saturday is the first tech session date. As far as I know, the following are attending...

1. Me (2D)
2. Mark (1D)
3. Kevin (1D)
4. Todd (1D)
5. Tom (1D)
6. Brian
7. Trevor (1D)
8. Lamar (1D)
9. Walter (1D)

I think all the others will be attending the next session in May, and/or attending both sessions. If anyone else wants to attend, let me know (especially for the first date since it is coming up soon).

Kevin
04-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Looking forward to it! I may also need help with my speedo, my trip reset stopped working this past week, need to know how to get it out of the binnacle and possibly how to fix. Also, my headliner won't be in on time, but if anyone has any tips on installing to share, that'd be great. But my WUR and door lock module have come in.

Mike C.
04-14-2015, 05:31 AM
I'm on board for both dates. See you then.

-Mike

classic_cars
04-14-2015, 06:58 PM
I'll be there. Weather will determine if I drive the D or my DD (Daily Driver)

Thanks!

todd1561
04-17-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm still planning on attending both sessions. I already promised Tom I'd be there tomorrow to help him fix his fuel distributor issues and I have the o-ring he needs on-hand, so hopefully the weather holds out.

Kevin, I've done my headliners and CPR before so I can help you there. I haven't done much with the speedo other than my angle drive (at one of Darren's sessions years ago) but I'd be happy to lend a hand if you want.

See you guys tomorrow.

Todd

Mike C.
04-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Great to see everyone again. Thanks Darren for a very relaxing and enjoyable day. See you all in 3 weeks!

-Mike

Iznodmad
04-18-2015, 10:16 PM
What a great and fun day overall! A few little pop up showers, but nothing that ruined the day. Going back a few posts to Brian's post....you showed up in something interesting and surprising alright.....your very own DeLorean! Congrats on the purchase! I can honestly say this is the first time that I've ever had someone interested in learning about DeLoreans drive up in one of their own. And it was awesome!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics, per usual I just get caught up in the moments and enjoy it. I know a few things got done on nearly every car that needed something done, especially getting Tom's car running again.

Next session is May 16th.

Hokie
04-18-2015, 10:25 PM
https://vimeo.com/125358008

medicine man
04-18-2015, 11:55 PM
I should be able to attend the May event. Will not drive my D.
Danny Randall

briancaughman
04-20-2015, 01:26 PM
What a great and fun day overall! A few little pop up showers, but nothing that ruined the day. Going back a few posts to Brian's post....you showed up in something interesting and surprising alright.....your very own DeLorean! Congrats on the purchase! I can honestly say this is the first time that I've ever had someone interested in learning about DeLoreans drive up in one of their own. And it was awesome!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics, per usual I just get caught up in the moments and enjoy it. I know a few things got done on nearly every car that needed something done, especially getting Tom's car running again.

Next session is May 16th.

Thanks, Darren. I enjoyed the day. Glad I decided to go with the silver one!

Hokie
04-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Can we ask Rob if he can bring a selection of fascia (sp?) touch up paint? I have one small spot and my fascia's are either original OR painted by Rob, so either way he should have touch up paint. Will he see this post or should I call him to ask?

PJ Grady Inc.
04-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Sorry but I don't carry touchup paint as I sublet fascia painting to a body shop. Touchup on this color never really works that well anyway as it never seems to match the paint or mask the imperfections for several reasons but no time to explain right now.
Rob

Can we ask Rob if he can bring a selection of fascia (sp?) touch up paint? I have one small spot and my fascia's are either original OR painted by Rob, so either way he should have touch up paint. Will he see this post or should I call him to ask?

Iznodmad
05-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Got about a week and a half until next tech session. And I have developed a cooling fan issue, as in they don't come on at all. Temp getting high doesn't turn them on, nor does turning on ac via mode switch. Coolant level is fine, otterstat connections seem fine, jumping otterstat doesn't make them work, fan connections at front of car appear fine, fused jumpers for fan fail relay are fine (this is my 83 DMC, so factory fused jumpers are in place). Only thing I haven't checked are the diodes. I could have easily overlooked something, but I haven't found the issue yet. I'll keep trying to find the issue, but if I don't, hopefully we can figure it out at the tech session. I'll update the thread later on with the attendance list.

Iznodmad
05-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Ok folks. Here is the current list as I see it...

1. Me
2. Rob Grady
3. Mark
4. Todd
5. Marcello (+1)
6. Dick
7. Chris (+1)
8. Yianni (+1)
9. Brian
10. Mike
11. Danny
12. Steve
13. Bill
14. John (+1)

Should have about 12 cars if everyone shows. Remember to contact Rob ASAP if you want any parts. I still haven't solved my cooling fan issue, but hopefully we can figure it out. There is always room for additional people, just say the word and I'll add you!

PJ Grady Inc.
05-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi folks,
This is the last call for anyone who wants me to bring parts, special tools, supplies, spare car etc. That last one was a joke of course! I'm leaving first thing Friday morning and plan on being at the event around 9AM Saturday at Reedy Creek Auto. Tomorrow (Thursday) is the last day I'll be at work before heading out so please call the shop or email any special requests before the end of the day if you can.
If anyone would like to get together with Darren Decker and myself for dinner on Friday night we're tentatively planning to meet up around 8pm to "chew the fat" assuming I have no delays. The restaurant is to be determined but he may already know the location. Let Darren or me know if anyone would like to tag along.

Rob Grady
(800)350-7429

Ok folks. Here is the current list as I see it...

1. Me
2. Rob Grady
3. Mark
4. Todd
5. Marcello (+1)
6. Dick
7. Chris (+1)
8. Yianni (+1)
9. Brian
10. Mike
11. Danny
12. Steve
13. Bill
14. John (+1)

Should have about 12 cars if everyone shows. Remember to contact Rob ASAP if you want any parts. I still haven't solved my cooling fan issue, but hopefully we can figure it out. There is always room for additional people, just say the word and I'll add you!

Hokie
05-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Hi folks,
This is the last call for anyone who wants me to bring parts, special tools, supplies, spare car etc. That last one was a joke of course! I'm leaving first thing Friday morning and plan on being at the event around 9AM Saturday at Reedy Creek Auto. Tomorrow (Thursday) is the last day I'll be at work before heading out so please call the shop or email any special requests before the end of the day if you can.
If anyone would like to get together with Darren Decker and myself for dinner on Friday night we're tentatively planning to meet up around 8pm to "chew the fat" assuming I have no delays. The restaurant is to be determined but he may already know the location. Let Darren or me know if anyone would like to tag along.

Rob Grady
(800)350-7429

Thanks Rob - I sent you my e-mail yesterday. I might take you up on the Friday dinner opportunity. I've already given Darren a heads up that I'm considering it. I'm trying to determine if it's better to drive up on Friday night or Saturday morning as I'll have to contend with Sprint Cup Allstar Race traffic...

Iznodmad
05-13-2015, 09:11 PM
We have to modify the starting location. The tire shop in Reedy Creek has business hours until noon. We can't use lifts until then, so as to not disturb his normal customers. We will have to start at my house in the morning and plan anything where a lift is required in the afternoon. This shouldn't cause too much of an issue I hope.

Regarding likely dinner destination, I think Yarboroughs is a good choice.

Iznodmad
05-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Talked to the shop owner this morning. We will be able to have limited use of a lift in the morning hours. He has a light schedule on Saturday morning and will allow one or two cars to use the shop as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operations. So, let's plan to meet at my house like normal and we can easily move from one location to the other as it is only a couple miles down the road.

TripleZeroFilms
05-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I hate to say it, but I won't be able to make this meet. Life getting in the way of fun and all that.

Hope you guys have a great time! Maybe I can make the next one :)

Hokie
05-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Man ole man today's event was the best ever with Rob Grady being in attendance - invaluable!! If you live in the southeast, were available, and didn't come to this event... What in the world were you thinking? :)

Chris Burns
05-16-2015, 11:48 PM
My bud John was at the event today and took some pics.

He isn't on this forum.

medicine man
05-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Hey Guys, enjoyed yesterday very much...seeing some old faces and new ones also. Sorry I had to leave early. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Iznodmad
05-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks for everyone that attended. We had a blast as usual. I especially enjoyed the Friday night dinner, the ribs were awesome! Special thanks to Rob Grady for coming down and looking over the cars for us. Regarding my cooling fan issue, I had an extremely rare failure of both fans! Everything else in the fan circuit was perfect, just both fans dead. Also a special thanks to the owners of Reedy Creek Tire and Auto. They donated the use of their lifts and tools to us. We got most of the cars on the lift and a detailed inspection of the undercarriages of the cars. There are a lot of things lurking under there to go bad. It was nice to have an expert on hand to point out issues.

Next tech session will be in October. Hope to see you all again then.

TripleZeroFilms
05-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for everyone that attended. We had a blast as usual. I especially enjoyed the Friday night dinner, the ribs were awesome! Special thanks to Rob Grady for coming down and looking over the cars for us. Regarding my cooling fan issue, I had an extremely rare failure of both fans! Everything else in the fan circuit was perfect, just both fans dead. Also a special thanks to the owners of Reedy Creek Tire and Auto. They donated the use of their lifts and tools to us. We got most of the cars on the lift and a detailed inspection of the undercarriages of the cars. There are a lot of things lurking under there to go bad. It was nice to have an expert on hand to point out issues.

Next tech session will be in October. Hope to see you all again then.

I hate I had to miss it as it sounds like you guys had a great, and productive, time. I would have loved to met Rob as well as my car went through his shop back in 96'. I even still have all the old receipts of work done from the PO.
Hopefully he might be able to attend again in the future :)

steve6864
06-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Darren,thanks for a great event and for making your home open to all of us. Good to see Rob again as well. Those of you who missed out,please try to support Darren in the future,it is worth your time. Steve.

zer0v3locity
06-23-2015, 10:44 PM
I hate I missed this. I am a new owner in Hickory, NC and would love to meet other owners in the area. I was told today that someone in Lincolnton owns one. Anyone know who's it is?

Iznodmad
06-24-2015, 01:00 PM
I gotta thank the people that come to the events. Without participants, I'd be all alone! I've found a new owner in the Raleigh area on Facebook. There is another owner in the Hickory area (may be the Lincolnton one?) that I've invited to tech sessions, but he hasn't shown up yet. I'd be happy to have a get together before October, but it is so damn hot, we'd probably want to stay inside and not be outside with the cars. I've considered a summer driving event up into the mountains, but I need to get one of my cars back on the road to accomplish that!

Hokie
06-24-2015, 06:09 PM
I hate I missed this. I am a new owner in Hickory, NC and would love to meet other owners in the area. I was told today that someone in Lincolnton owns one. Anyone know who's it is?

Welcome! I actually bought my car in Hickory so we have that connection. Let me know if you need anything!