PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Clutch reservoir empty

Aleksander
03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Short intro, I picked up my D last weekend. Due to some big hiccups from the shipping company, the car has been parked 6 months.
Had some minor trouble getting it in gear to get it on the trailer, but after some minutes it went fine. The car has been parked in the garage since I got it home.

Jumping one week forward to today. I was going to take it out to take some pictures but couldn't get it in any gear. Turned the engine of, still couldn't get it in gear.
Checked the clutch reservoir, and it was empty...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/2bc69144d125c390f75e8960930449f7.jpg

1. Where have all the fluid gone? (No leaks under the car)

2. Is this a common problem?

3. How to solve it?

All help is appreciated!

- Aleksander

David T
03-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Very common if the brake and clutch fluid is not flushed and changed every 2 years. It becomes corrosive and rots the ID of the cylinders. When the seals go over the corrosion it tears them up and they leak. The fix now is to replace or rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders. If you still have the plastic hose you also change it at the same time to the S/S braided hose. If the clutch system is rotten you can figure you will also be rebuilding the brakes. All 4 calipers AND the brake master cylinder. DO NOT drive the car with leaky clutch hydraulics. You will force the shifts and do damage to the internals of the transmission. DO NOT drive the car with leaky brakes. You can lose ALL braking and you would not want to have to count on the emergency brake!

PJ Grady Inc.
03-21-2015, 03:20 PM
All good advice David....Bravo!!!!! One last item easily overlooked but now in all cases at the end of it's life cycle is the 6" rubber hose joining the master cylinder to the reseviour. It's the cheapest service item in the clutch system and the most often missed.
Rob

Very common if the brake and clutch fluid is not flushed and changed every 2 years. It becomes corrosive and rots the ID of the cylinders. When the seals go over the corrosion it tears them up and they leak. The fix now is to replace or rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders. If you still have the plastic hose you also change it at the same time to the S/S braided hose. If the clutch system is rotten you can figure you will also be rebuilding the brakes. All 4 calipers AND the brake master cylinder. DO NOT drive the car with leaky clutch hydraulics. You will force the shifts and do damage to the internals of the transmission. DO NOT drive the car with leaky brakes. You can lose ALL braking and you would not want to have to count on the emergency brake!

Jonathan
03-21-2015, 03:48 PM
1. Where have all the fluid gone? (No leaks under the car)

Have you looked under the carpeting in the driver's footwell?

Aleksander
03-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys! I will make sure to check the entire system.
I stopped by home and took some more pictures.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/349fd19eb02cbaf8cc6eafebee47d925.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/ceeddd68d42a53188792607caa3d3131.jpg

I have the SS beaded hose, didn't get it in the picture.

Also took a quick look at the drivers football well and the carpet looks dry and fine. But the surroundings to the clutch cylinder looked a bit moist, so I guess this is where the fluid goes.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/35c59771911534e44ae07d9630f94b37.jpg

David T
03-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys! I will make sure to check the entire system.
I stopped by home and took some more pictures.

I have the SS beaded hose, didn't get it in the picture.

Also took a quick look at the drivers football well and the carpet looks dry and fine. But the surroundings to the clutch cylinder looked a bit moist, so I guess this is where the fluid goes.

The slave usually leaks more than the master but it also happens where they both leak. When the slave leaks you don't notice it as much because the transmission is usually all covered in dirt. Brake fluid dries up so unless it is a fresh leak you may only see a stain. In any case if one is leaking you have to figure they are both corroded so you just do both of them unless you know one was recently done. When the hose between the reservoir and the master leaks it "sweats" and you see beads of fluid on it. It doesn't leak much fluid but if you see it wet you should replace it. Now that you are the latest owner of this Delorean, and you want to do "right" by the car, you WILL flush the brake and clutch fluid every other year! Much cheaper than rebuilding the clutch and brake hydraulics! Does the fluid in the master brake cylinder look dark and thick?

Aleksander
03-21-2015, 05:00 PM
The slave usually leaks more than the master but it also happens where they both leak. When the slave leaks you don't notice it as much because the transmission is usually all covered in dirt. Brake fluid dries up so unless it is a fresh leak you may only see a stain. In any case if one is leaking you have to figure they are both corroded so you just do both of them unless you know one was recently done. When the hose between the reservoir and the master leaks it "sweats" and you see beads of fluid on it. It doesn't leak much fluid but if you see it wet you should replace it. Now that you are the latest owner of this Delorean, and you want to do "right" by the car, you WILL flush the brake and clutch fluid every other year! Much cheaper than rebuilding the clutch and brake hydraulics! Does the fluid in the master brake cylinder look dark and thick?
I noticed this today, now I'm at work, so haven't had the time to check everything. I guess I will start to take out the master cylinder tomorrow.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/a558b2774401446c38dc5801683931f2.jpg

I took this picture of the break reservoir yesterday. The "lid" in the boot doesn't fit so wondering if this reservoir is original or not?
Haven't checked the break fluid, but will do it tomorrow before work.

What is the easiest way to get to the clutch slave cylinder?

DMCMW Dave
03-21-2015, 05:32 PM
What is the easiest way to get to the clutch slave cylinder?

Take off the cover plate just below the gas filler. And/or from underneath.

Aleksander
03-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Take off the cover plate just below the gas filler. And/or from underneath.
Isn't that the master?

Patrick C
03-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Getting to the slave is easiest from underneath the car. Make sure to use jack stands. I just replaced my slave cylinder along with a stainless line a few months back.

Jacko
03-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Aleksander, yours is a classic case of a master cylinder ''leaking through itself.'
rebuild or replace the master and you'll be good to go.

David T
03-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Getting to the slave is easiest from underneath the car. Make sure to use jack stands. I just replaced my slave cylinder along with a stainless line a few months back.

Underneath is the way unless you have to remove the intake manifold for other reasons. Working underneath you have to do it mostly by touch.

DMCMW Dave
03-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Isn't that the master?

yep. slave is best on a lift unless you earn internet points for degree of difficulty.

FABombjoy
03-22-2015, 09:39 AM
yep. slave is best on a lift unless you earn internet points for degree of difficulty.
Truth right here. You can do it on stands but you'd better love your transmission because you're going to spend hours hugging it.

Aleksander
03-22-2015, 12:43 PM
I surely could need some extra points, but I think I will listen to the good advices. :p

When I checked the cylinder in the foot well today, there was a drop of break fluid hanging on it. Guess I found the leak. Cleaned the area, and the break fluid has stripped the paint of the metal bracket.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/22/70cbbf89aa80a343609b146e2381d7d2.jpg

Pulled the master cylinder out, taking it down to a clutch and break shop tomorrow.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/22/8595909dcae03f4a3dd3318a5feafcf0.jpg

Is the master cylinder used on any others cars?

David T
03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
I surely could need some extra points, but I think I will listen to the good advices. :p

When I checked the cylinder in the foot well today, there was a drop of break fluid hanging on it. Guess I found the leak. Cleaned the area, and the break fluid has stripped the paint of the metal bracket.

Pulled the master cylinder out, taking it down to a clutch and break shop tomorrow.

Is the master cylinder used on any others cars?

I have an unverified cross reference to a 1981 AMC Spirit 4 cyl 151 cu/in $80 @ Autozone. You are probably better off getting the master and slave at one of your favorite Delorean venders. Take the cylinder apart. If the corrosion and pitting is not deep you may be able to clean it up with a hone and just have to replace the cup seal. A local store may be able to match one up. Same goes for the slave. I have no cross ref for the slave. For more info go to 4-4-1 in the parts manual. Do not waste your time only doing the master, if it is leaking you need the slave too. Flush the line before installing the slave cylinder. Use alcohol and compressed air. When refilling with brake fluid use Castrol DOT 4. Be sure to get ALL of the air out.

Aleksander
03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Truth right here. You can do it on stands but you'd better love your transmission because you're going to spend hours hugging it.
You weren't kidding! That was a pain in the ass job!
But, now the clutch is working so I guess all the pain is forgotten tomorrow. :p