PDA

View Full Version : For Sale DeLorean - $35000 (half moon bay)?

mburshtain
03-29-2015, 10:05 PM
I noticed this Craigslist post -
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4951976384.html
"This is a '81 DeLorean which my uncle bought brand new in 1981. It has been covered up sitting for many years and does not currently run. However, the car never had a engine problem, it had a electrical issue and my uncle just put it aside and covered it up after that. The odometer reads much less than 10,000, but 10,000 is the actual mileage. My uncle is waiting for the title in the mail from the dmv as he lost it over time, but of course I won't be selling it until he gets the title. This car is quite the unique ride, so if you'd like to see it or have questions please give my dad Kevin a call at ...."

35k???

Ryan King
03-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Just in case the Ad gets pulled off....here are the photos.

Ryan King
03-30-2015, 01:23 AM
Also, its listed as an Automatic but is clearly a 5-Speed. Just caught that minor detail.

kajcienski
03-30-2015, 01:32 AM
I always pay attention to grammar in advertisements. It usually gives away a scam in 2 seconds. The "a" vs "an" in this one - "to" and "too", "were" and "we're" in others... Spelling errors... It's (or its!) just if I put the work and risk into a scam ad, I would sure as heck read it over just once to catch mistakes. No?

spedlot
03-30-2015, 03:12 AM
Wow. Vin is only 32 away from mine and if it's in half moon bay it's 3 hours away too

davidc89
03-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Its going to need a few thousand to get running again. Doesn't look terrible, but I think its a bit steep at $35,000. The real question is, how long did it actually sit?

Dangermouse
03-30-2015, 08:13 AM
I always pay attention to grammar in advertisements. It usually gives away a scam in 2 seconds. The "a" vs "an" in this one - "to" and "too", "were" and "we're" in others... Spelling errors... It's (or its!) just if I put the work and risk into a scam ad, I would sure as heck read it over just once to catch mistakes. No?

Better to get someone else to read it over, as yo will read it the way you think you wrote it ;)

However in this case, it's just badly written, imo. Blame the schools/teachers/parents/internet (delete as applicable)

I think this is just an opportunistic yoof (in a bad cell area) trying his luck, knowing that DMCH prices are up there.

I read an ad recently from a reputable dealership for a $100k Aston Martin, which proudly stated that it was "formally owned by Rod Stewart" (why don't we have a facepalm smilie?)

Side question for Cali owners - Blue plates, like this one; are they transferable to the new owner of this car, assuming he/she is in CA? I think that the original owner can keep them indefinitely, but what about a new owner?

And if the car leave the state, is registered elsewhere, and subsequently returns, can the original blue plate be recovered?

Dangermouse
03-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Its going to need a few thousand to get running again. Doesn't look terrible, but I think its a bit steep at $35,000. The real question is, how long did it actually sit?

Based on this site;

http://www.andrewturnbull.net/plates/sticker-2.html

the orange emissions sticker was for 2013, 2008, 1998, 1992 or 1986.

Take your pick :)

spedlot
03-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Blue plates are yes for transfer within California. If it leaves registered in another state and then comes back it will be issued new plates.

dmc3130
04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
This guy is out of his mind asking 35k!!!!!!! This thing needs A lot of work :strongman:

ccurzio
04-08-2015, 12:17 PM
All scams may be badly-written ads, but not all badly-written ads are scams.

This one just happens to be a badly-written ad written by a classic example of someone who has no idea what this car is worth and thinks it's a gold mine.

Farrar
04-08-2015, 03:35 PM
I agree with Chris. It's 2015 so someone decided "Hey, let's sell the 'Back to the Future' car." I predict that the asking prices will drop once we're out of the 30th anniversary year, a.k.a. "the year that Marty went to in part two." Some of the folks may give up trying to sell their cars again -- until 2025, perhaps...

Timebender
04-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I read an ad recently from a reputable dealership for a $100k Aston Martin, which proudly stated that it was "formally owned by Rod Stewart" (why don't we have a facepalm smilie?)

There's a 1972 440 Roadrunner that shows up once in a while on a local car lot owned by an Iraqi gentleman, he's had the lot for a long time (there are a ton of Chaldeans in our area now, with either used car lots, Hookah lounges or Liquor Stores), and the car has been on it once every so often. It's in good shape, doesn't run, but he wants way more than it's worth, as he states it was originally owned by Fred Foxx (which he means Red Foxx). My comment "Then it should be worth a whole lot less than you're asking.."