PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bleeding the cooling system

John U
04-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Has anyone used the pressure method of bleeding the cooling system where you pressurize the reservoir and bleed the system without the engine running?
I tried it tonight and it seemed to work but Im not sure I got all the air out.

DMCMW Dave
04-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Has anyone used the pressure method of bleeding the cooling system where you pressurize the reservoir and bleed the system without the engine running?
I tried it tonight and it seemed to work but Im not sure I got all the air out.

It works but you need to bleed the radiator at the top right. It won't bleed the heater core, so if you started with a dry system it will purge when you start the car and you may need to add more coolant.

jamesrguk
04-03-2015, 02:42 AM
It works but you need to bleed the radiator at the top right. It won't bleed the heater core, so if you started with a dry system it will purge when you start the car and you may need to add more coolant.

Along a similar line, I have a completely dry engine, which I just installed, there will no doubt be a litte juice in the rad and associated pipes. Am I best to remove the thermostat at the top of the pump and fill if from there.

Obviously there is no point in starting the engine with the pump spinning in air.

J

John U
04-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Ok everything went well except when i gets warmed up, coolant comes pouring out of the reservoir cap. Bad cap I assume?

John U
04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
I think my pressure tested slightly deformed the lip on the reservoir so my cap wasnt fitting tight enough. I bent the locking tabs slightly on my reservoir cap and now it fits snug. No more leaks.

DMCMW Dave
04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Along a similar line, I have a completely dry engine, which I just installed, there will no doubt be a litte juice in the rad and associated pipes. Am I best to remove the thermostat at the top of the pump and fill if from there.

Obviously there is no point in starting the engine with the pump spinning in air.

J

You can open the bleed valve there but give it plenty off time. There is a tiny bleeder in the thermostat.

Sent from phone