PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future GPS Speedometer by Advent Controls/Firmtec

Chris 16409
04-09-2015, 03:56 AM
I just received my new BTTF digital GPS Speedometer. It's offered for sale by a firm out of England called Advent Controls(http://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/bttf.htm). This is not just a prop replica, but a very reliable Speedometer instrument. Out of all the replicas I've seen, the is only one that actually works. I wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't a real speedometer. Here is some pictures:

It comes standard with your typical accessory jack plug (cigarette lighter) for power:

As I detest these plugs, I decided to wire it directly into the car. I tapped into the seat belt/door buzzer power wire since its in a convenient location. I also wired in an on/off switch for convince.

I was able to route the power wire so it only minimally shows. Here it is with power:

The unit has many changeable options like MPH or Km/H, display brightness level, speed warning, and alert tone options. It uses hidden capacitive touch sensors to change all the different options. It's a very nice product. It sells for £88 plus about £5 shipping charge.

Jedidentist
04-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Very nice! Definitely worth the price.

SIMid
04-10-2015, 01:09 AM
One got one of theirs, but must had been the earlier version as it does not dim. Good idea about the door chime for power. I bulk bought triple A batteries for it and seem to last me a few months before I need to change them.

papanoel
04-10-2015, 12:06 PM
One got one of theirs, but must had been the earlier version as it does not dim. Good idea about the door chime for power. I bulk bought triple A batteries for it and seem to last me a few months before I need to change them.

how'd u wire it up? Would have been nice for this to be powered over USB too.

I use mine but also detest the cigarette lighter adapter. Not sure i want to hardware it in though.

MikeWard
04-13-2015, 06:42 AM
When I installed flux3d's console clock into my car, I tapped into the power for the clock to feed the speedo.

ravecrocker
04-13-2015, 02:39 PM
how'd u wire it up? Would have been nice for this to be powered over USB too.

I use mine but also detest the cigarette lighter adapter. Not sure i want to hardware it in though.

you could always use a solar panel and a rechargeable battery