PDA

View Full Version : AC no longer blowing cold :(

go_leafs_go
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
After recharging the system in June, the AC no longer blows cold after only 2 months...The technician did the Nitrogen test and said everything was good with no leaks but there obviously is one somewhere...He used FR12...does the type of gas matter in this case? I was told that R12 is no longer available.

Mark D
08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
R12 is harder to come by but is still available... the EPA requires that you have a permit to buy though. If the shop you took your car to specializes in older cars they probably had access to it. The previous owner of my car would take it to Bauerle automotive and get it recharged with R12.

That being said, I'd double check your receipt from the shop to make sure it says R12. If they filled it with R143a that would more than likely cause the seals to fail and leak.

I'd take the car back to the same shop and see if the A/C system is still holding pressure. They should be able to test it by evacuating the system and capturing all the refrigerant (if there is any left) and then doing another nitrogen pressure test.

Last I heard R12 was going for like 100 bucks for a 12oz can, so you could also check and see what the materials cost was on your receipt from 2 months ago.

FTFF
08-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Its almost winter, right ?

Cory W
08-12-2011, 01:46 AM
R12 is harder to come by but is still available...

It's different in Canada. R134A is as stringent here as R-12 is there, and R-12 here is worse than asbestos, apparently.

I suspect the refrigerant is smaller than R12 on a molecular level and is leaking out. It's worth having it checked again and maybe florescent dye added to the system to try and track the leak.

I redid my entire A/C system lat year. Used barrier hose for high, low, and "crossover" hose (condenser to hub) New condenser and evaporator, too (accumulator and orifice tube too, but should be a given) Runs R-134A. My car is frigid.

Nicholas R
08-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Last I heard R12 was going for like 100 bucks for a 12oz can, so you could also check and see what the materials cost was on your receipt from 2 months ago.

You can still buy it on ebay for about $30 per 12oz can:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=r12&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Last year I bought 3 cans with adapter hose and shipping for about $100.

Last person I talked to said the shop they went to charged $48 per pound+ labor and other fees for installation.

Bitsyncmaster
08-12-2011, 07:05 AM
After recharging the system in June, the AC no longer blows cold after only 2 months...The technician did the Nitrogen test and said everything was good with no leaks but there obviously is one somewhere...He used FR12...does the type of gas matter in this case? I was told that R12 is no longer available.

So is the system low on freon? Does the compressor not turn on or cycle fast?

If you did not flush the system and put a different freon in you may have a dirty orifice screen.

DMCMW Dave
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
R12 is harder to come by but is still available....

Not in Canada (where the OP is from although he didn't mention it)

Steven
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Can you buy freon from the states and ship it to Canada?

Cory W
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
You're better off driving to the US and having the R12 added there.

TTait
09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Hervey sells Freeze 12, which is R12 compatible.