PDA

View Full Version : Replacing spark plugs.

Trstno1
04-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Hey guys-

Is it possible to change the spark plugs without removing the intake manifold? A couple of the cylinders appear to be a bear to get at.

DMC Fanatic
04-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes, I've removed the spark plugs with the manifold on. The only two things that you have to remove are the air box and idle speed motor to gain access to all the plugs. The wires on the other hand are a different story, since you pretty much have to remove the fuel mixture unit to gain access. Also, when putting the wires back on the plugs, make sure they "click" into place.

jmettee
04-14-2015, 04:39 PM
With a long extension, you can get all 6 out without removing anything from the engine besides air intake.....even #4 that is under that mess of idle speed motor. It's a bit of a PITA, but doable, unless your hoses/wires are routed such that the spark plug access is completely buried.

Chris 16409
04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
I made this tool out of a PVC pipe to help push the plug wires on. Worked pretty good.

DMCMW Dave
04-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Use a wobbly extension. Always get the plugs started without a ratchet handle. I.e. by hand. If you try to use as straight extension and a deep socket, there are a couple of plugs that you will cross-thread when you go to install them.

Trstno1
04-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info everyone! I may try to tackle those spark plugs tomorrow. :wrenchin:

outatym2001
04-20-2015, 02:20 AM
Please see the four pictures I attached.
You will need one Universal Joint to go in between the multiple Extensions you will attach to the Spark Plug Socket.
As seen in the pictures I use a 12-inch long Sears Craftsman Bent Long Nose Pliers to grab onto the rubber Spark Plug Boot. I also reinstall the Spark Plug Boot with these same Long Nose Pliers. I grab ahold then press down until I feel the Boot snap onto the end of the Spark Plug.