PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on here build trailers?

GS450-Junkie
04-18-2015, 07:06 PM
So, I'd like to build myself a utility trailer. I was thinking of something approx. 5 X 9.5' and probably out of aluminum. I've built a trailer or two before, but always out of steel. I've always used angle iron, but would imagine an aluminum trailer would need a bed that was a bit more sturdy. I'm thinking perhaps C Channel ? I'm not sure what size or thickness, still doing some research. I'm guessing I would also want the floor bracing a little closer together as I know aluminum can flex, fatigue and fail a lot easier than steel. Any thoughts? Anyone on here build trailers? Or weld? Got pictures or ideas to share?

Some folks on Google recommend that aluminum trailers be welded and bolted together. Others say it's not needed, and welding alone is plenty good enough.
Thanks.

davidc89
04-18-2015, 07:40 PM
A lot of it depends on what you are hauling. What do you plan on hauling? I do a lot of semi-trailer repair so I may be able to help some.

GS450-Junkie
04-18-2015, 08:43 PM
I would say just about anything. Good overall work trailer. Anything from a riding lawn mower to furniture to lumber to topsoil or mulch, etc.

davidc89
04-18-2015, 08:59 PM
My advice would be to over engineer the trailer. You will get cracks around your welds and around the tongue of the trailer. I see a lot of cracks when people have a long tounge trailer without braces. Its real common on single axle trailers. Use cross bracing on your deck. And reinforce the areas where you mount your suspension. That's really the problem areas you will have. If you bolt into the aluminum, antisieze is your friend. Then again the trailers I see haul heavy stuff, so I may be a bit bias.

GS450-Junkie
04-18-2015, 10:39 PM
What do you suggest for materials to construct the bed of the trailer? C Channel or rectangular tubing for beams? Also, what thickness?

SS Spoiler
04-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Why not go the extra mile and make a De sized trailer for breakdowns? Use steel for frame and suspension
and alum. for everything else.

davidc89
04-18-2015, 10:57 PM
What do you suggest for materials to construct the bed of the trailer? C Channel or rectangular tubing for beams? Also, what thickness?

I personally like tubing. With a C Chanel you have a weak point. Not really a big deal if you are usually hauling lighter loads mostly. For thickness? I am not real sure but I would say a good rule of thumb would be at least twice the thickness of a steel counter part. If you would use 1/8" steel, use atleast 1/4" for aluminum. That's what I would do. Keep in mind that the idea of an aluminum trailer is to be lighter. So you don't want to get to carried away. If you are mainly going to haul lighter loads, you don't really need a heavy duty trailer design. More like a medium duty. It won't destroy a trailer if you only haul heavy loads every so often.

Is this going to a wood bed?

GS450-Junkie
04-19-2015, 09:00 AM
wood or composite decking.

Flicky
04-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Do you have a big pile of aluminum already? Just wondering why you picked it over steel.

GS450-Junkie
04-19-2015, 08:39 PM
I don't have the aluminum yet, but I have the welder. I just figured aluminum was the way to go since all the fancy kids have them these days, and they are all expensive so they have to be the ticket right? LOL
I guess in addition to that, I've had several people asking me to build or repair their aluminum projects so I guess as long as I'm set up to do these things I might as well build.myself.a trailer which I desperately need anyway.

davidc89
07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
How did this ever turn out?

GS450-Junkie
07-14-2015, 07:33 PM
How did this ever turn out?

A big pile of aluminum sitting on my garage floor. :bang: This big pile of aluminum isn't moving anytime soon as we just had a baby, and unfortunately this big pile of aluminum is also blocking my D from leaving it's stall. Haven't started it since winter. :(

davidc89
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Well at least move it to get your DeLorean out! It needs to get some fresh air...