PDA

View Full Version : Advice on products. Opinion of what set up is the best

DMCSPRINT
04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Hello, I was just trying to make a decision and wanted some feedback from people that may already have these set ups on their own Delorean. I am thinking of replacing my stock radiator and cooling fans with one of the packages the vendors are offering. Any suggestions on which vendors set up is the best? Delorean Europe or DPI or DMCH ?
And my other question is on shocks/springs/struts set up. I want the car to sit low but I also want a shock that will give me a nice ride. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help anybody can give me on this. Thanks

vps3922
04-22-2015, 03:45 PM
I have been in the same boat last year and I decided to go with the DMCH set-up (rad and suspension upgrade...a.k.a. Eibach suspension kit).

I do not regret it a bit. The rad has the metal reservoirs. I decided to replace mine because it was still the original (nothing wring with it but I did the complete cooling system anyway). I just baught the cooling system overhaul kit including rad and new pump.

I later went into DMC NW and got the original suspension replaced by the DMCH Eibach kit. Jon from DMC NW adjusted it so it is nice and low on the road. The suspension is adjustable (in height and strength). I tuned the suspension to REALLY SOFT for my wife's first ride as she does not want to feel every bump in the car. It feels very well. And I can make it harder in case I want the sporty feeling.:headbang:

Just my 5 Canadian cents. :smile:

sdg3205
04-22-2015, 04:19 PM

$0.03, adjusted for CDN/US exchange.

krs09
04-22-2015, 04:20 PM
I did get the upgraded low wattage cooling fans from DMCNW. So far, awesome.

chris williams
04-27-2015, 03:54 PM
I have the fan set up from DPI and can confirm it is very well made, fits well and works great. It is mated (in my case) to a DeLorean Europe radiator, and fits perfectly and highly recomend this radiator as well.
I commissioned the SPAX dampers with SPAX many years ago now and at the time they were a great option at a reasonable price, it does seem however that they dont last that well, in the US at least. There have been reports of them losing gas within 4-5 years and the top mount not being strong enough. Though there have been no reports of the gas thing in Europe, perhaps it's more of a hot state thing?? I have myself purchased a set of Pro-tech shocks to fit to the front of my new car and these seem to be very well made. There are lots of choices on the spring/shock package so it's really down to if you have a preference of ride height/brand/vendor. The shock wont affect the ride height on the front anyway, it's the springs that alters the front ride height, on the rears there is often a threaded section to lower the ride height.
Chris

Mark D
04-27-2015, 04:58 PM
I went with the all aluminum DMCH radiator (stock fans) but plan to upgrade to the DMCNW fans sometime in the future. My stock radiator was not leaking, but it was one of those instances of while I was in there replacing all my rubber coolant hoses I figured I'd proactively reduce my risk of leaks with the original plastic side tanks. There was a noticeable difference on the temp gauge compared to the stock radiator..previously I'd be running somewhere at or above the first tick mark on the temp gauge, now it's consistantly below that even in 80+ ambient temps. I'm sure the improvement is partly due to the upgraded radiator design, but my old radiator also had 30 years of crap blocking the fins so I'm sure that is also a contributing factor.

For suspension I went with the Eibach spring setup from DMCH and SPAX adjustable shocks. I think the front ride height is pretty much perfect, and the height adjustability in the rear is a nice feature to get the car leveled out. I'm about 2 years in since installing the SPAX shocks, and so far I havn't had any issues. From what I've read the SPAX shocks are set up to be equal in damping to the stock shocks when adjusted to the middle setting. I have mine set 6 clicks from the softest setting but it's still a very firm and sporty ride.

I'm hoping I get many additional years out of the shocks but there seem to be a higher than normal number of reported leaks. I think at this point DMCH and DPI have both stopped carrying SPAX them so I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Ryan S.
04-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I have been in the same boat last year and I decided to go with the DMCH set-up (rad and suspension upgrade...a.k.a. Eibach suspension kit).

I do not regret it a bit. The rad has the metal reservoirs. I decided to replace mine because it was still the original (nothing wring with it but I did the complete cooling system anyway). I just baught the cooling system overhaul kit including rad and new pump.

I later went into DMC NW and got the original suspension replaced by the DMCH Eibach kit. Jon from DMC NW adjusted it so it is nice and low on the road. The suspension is adjustable (in height and strength). I tuned the suspension to REALLY SOFT for my wife's first ride as she does not want to feel every bump in the car. It feels very well. And I can make it harder in case I want the sporty feeling.:headbang:

Sorry for hijacking your thread. VPS, How do you adjust Eibach kit to "really soft" I have Eibach and not sure how to do that. I know I can adjust height but do not know how to adjust firmness. My ride is very bumpy currently.

Last year, I replaced mine with Toby fan and DMC european radiator. Both works well and wasn't very difficult to replace them. Didn't fix my temperature issue. At the end, it was my water pump. Now mine runs cool.

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Sorry for hijacking your thread. VPS, How do you adjust Eibach kit to "really soft" I have Eibach and not sure how to do that. I know I can adjust height but do not know how to adjust firmness. My ride is very bumpy currently.

Last year, I replaced mine with Toby fan and DMC european radiator. Both works well and wasn't very difficult to replace them. Didn't fix my temperature issue. At the end, it was my water pump. Now mine runs cool.

Depends on the version of shocks you have. If there are adjustable there is a small knob at the bottom side of each shock. All the way counterclockwise is all the way soft. Count clicks from that point to compare with others, i.e. when someone says "I have it set on 8" they mean 8 clicks from full soft.

DMCH has now sold at least 4 versions of aftermarket shock, and some are not adjustable.

vps3922
04-28-2015, 06:14 PM
DMCH has now sold at least 4 versions of aftermarket shock, and some are not adjustable.

Thanks, Dave, for answering. I did not touch this thread for a while. ;)