PDA

View Full Version : What do your neighbors think?

Kenny_Z
08-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I finally got to take Red out for a spin after weeks of work and one of the neighborhood kids was outside helping his dad wash the truck. He always waves when I go by in the Mustang and he has his own gas powered chopper that he rides and tinkers with. The kid is a real gearhead. I'd never seen him outside the few times I drove the D. His jaw dropped and he waved his dad over to see what drove by.

My next door neighbor is a nice guy and always asks me how Red is doing when I'm out tinkering. The older couple behind me might just be glad that I have something else that doesn't roar when I crank it up. The husband asked me if it was one of those "super fast hot rod cars." I laughed and told him it was mostly show, not a lot of go.

Then there's my neighbor and friend Kenny that I've known for well over 15 years. One of the four people I trusted enough to let drive the D, he likes my cars but I think the D is his favorite. He also wants to use the D to pick up 'hippie chicks' and the bar and once said to me "Dude, she's a red Delorean. She's an Irish redhead! She belongs at a bar!"

How do your neighbors react to your Deloreans?

sean
08-12-2011, 09:32 PM

mine love it, especially the kids. I've had a few owners over at times and the spectacle draws them out. Nothing negative from mine at all.

TemporalFX
08-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I've got two of them. A stock and the Temporal FX Back to the Future car.. so when the garage opens, people come up the driveway. My neighbor asked if I was making BTTF4. :smoke1:

Nicholas R
08-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Neighbors are nice; obviously it doesn't really roar so it doesn't bother them. The most interested neighbor lives across the street. Older guy; early 70's I think but he's the guy I bought the car from. When I bought it, he had let it sit for about 15 years in the garage so seeing it now fully restored, he's always interested.

louielouie2000
08-13-2011, 12:13 AM
No neighbors I ever had paid any mind to my DeLoreans.

SIMid
08-13-2011, 01:53 AM
I havent had my D for very long but the reactions have been mixed. One side, he was like a kid at xmas when i came home with her! Quite amusing i must say by his response! The other side, no idea what a Delorean is. So to him, its just a shiny car. Just loves his V8 Holden Commodore and nothing else. The opposite side, again, loves his Commodore and just cruises past without a word. But round the corner, a young guy was jumping up and down when i parked her on the street for photos. Very mixed responses, but when ppl do ask, they ask a million questions, especially the patchy history.

xbrules
08-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Cars are always coming and going at our house, between me and my brother we've bought and sold at least 30 cars in the last 5 years... not once have we ever been able to get one home without the next door neighbours having a look.

they thought the D was awesome.... I gave them basic run down on the car.. how many are left in the world and how mine was one of 4 in South Australia...etc...

one day a couple of other owners brought their cars round and my neighbours were confronted with this sight

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/Picture274-1.jpg

My neighbour's first response was "I thought you said these were rare!!!" LOL

08-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm jumping the gun on this as I'm not an owner yet but... The guy next door to me is great with his hands, he fixes everything from doing a rebuild on his son's racer to major overhauls on his cabin boat. I'm always amazed at what he's willing to undertake and how well it turns out. With this in mind I ran past him my dream of owning a Delorean and all he could do was bash the car and everything about it.

I lost some respect for him that day as he was uninformed as I find most people to be on the subject unless they are owners.

Dangermouse
08-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Mine report me to the HOA for having a, quote. "non-running car stored in the driveway under a cover".

Even though it wasn't non-running

Good times

08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Mine report me to the HOA for having a, quote. "non-running car stored in the driveway under a cover".

Even though it wasn't non-running

Good times

LOL! Too Funny! I ghuess they expect you to keep the key in the ignition with the engine running at all times!

Mark D
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
My neighbors on one side is an older couple and the guy loves to talk about cars and reminisce about the days when he owned a '70 'Cuda. He thinks the DeLorean is cool and knew a lot about the history and JZD's story.

My daily driver is a 94 civic and the neighbors on the other side of me are into hondas and acuras (I'm not really) so the first time they saw what was in my garage the guy got all excited about my civic and hardly noticed the DeLorean. :dunno:

Dracula
08-13-2011, 10:30 PM
I tend to only go out at night and seldom talk to my neighbors; I think I've only ever talked to one of them. Though, I have a revolving stock of cars and they never know what'll be parked in my driveway or garage next.

dvonk
08-15-2011, 07:32 AM
they probably think youre a drug dealer :lol:

Evildeli
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
My next door neighbor is 6'7". It took him almost a year to ask me to sit in the car. It was weird to see him fit. My other neighbors like the car, but always try to be funny with a BTTF joke.

Morpheus
08-15-2011, 11:29 PM
My neighbors are pretty cool about it... However, when the garage door is up and people driving by can see the body in the air and the frame next to it, they slow down for a better look.

I do have one neighbor that loves to tell me about the mustang he rebuilt a while back; he tries to draw parallels with what I'm doing to the D. He offers to come over and help sometime, but he has yet to actually follow through.

Dracula
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
One of these days, I should probably actually TALK to my neighbors...

Farrar
08-16-2011, 10:06 AM

One of mine put a note under a windshield wiper asking if he could use it in a music video. :rolleyes1:

Most of my neighbors seem to think it's just another old car... when I am outside working on it they tend to just say "Good morning" or whatever and go about their business.

... except for last weekend: while I was replacing the fuel pump, one guy who was working on his truck down the block came up to me and said "Hey, man, you got a pair of -- oh, nice car -- you got a pair of channel-lock pliers I can borrow?" :lol:

Farrar