PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trouble positioning engine/trans on mounts when reinstalling

jangell
05-09-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm finally installing my 3.0L engine and automatic transmission back in my car. I got it mostly into position, but i'm having some trouble getting the mounts aligned. Mostly, it seems that the engine/trans isn't moving far enough in.

My 3.0L has the 2.8L lower crankcase, and the transmission is snugged up tight to the engine. This means it SHOULD be identically (spacing-wise) to what I took out of the car all those months ago. The right side of the transmission is up against the transmission mount, so I'm pretty sure i have that right. However, the right hand engine mount seems to e too far forward for the engine to reach. I'm mostly wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or I misunderstand how the transmission mounts meet the transmission.

Here are some pictures. This shows the passenger side transmission mount and the transmission itself mostly aligned (just need to push it to the right a bit). The transmission sits behind (meaning, towards the back of the car) the mount, right?

Here's where the engine sits relative to the engine mount:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

-- Joe

jangell
05-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Riiiight... So I pulled the engine and transmission out again so I could get a better look at the mounts. I didn't realize that the transmission mounts aren't perpendicular to the frame/transmission, but rather at something like 45 degrees to them. If I had lined up the holes on the mount and the bracket, it would be about an inch further in and the engine mounts would line up properly with the lower crankcase.

Now I'm off to installing the engine/trains again... I think I routes the transmission linkage slightly wrong anyway, so I can fix that now too.

-- Joe

jangell
05-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Just to finish up this, in case anyone else has the problem:

I wound up getting everything installed by lining up one of the transmission mounts and bolting it into place. I was then able to align the other one and bolt it down. Tightening both bolts pulled the engine further into position, but not quite all the way there. I wound up removing the top bolt from the engine mounts, turning them so the engine lined up, lowered the engine a little, and then tapped the mounts with a mallet until the bolt holes lined up with the frame so I could tighten them down again, finally lowering the engine onto the mounts. Kind of contrived (I figured everything would just line up and drop right in), but everything worked in the end.

-- Joe