PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fuel Smell

David T
05-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I had a hint of a fuel smell for a while. Tightened up all of the hose clamps in the front of the car. Checked the fuel pump boots and sending unit. Seemed like it got better but never 100%. The other day I was looking at the fuel cap. I noticed the rubber gasket didn't seem to be sealing all around the top of the pipe. Took the cap apart, just 2 screws. There is a large wavy washer that pushes the rubber gasket. The gasket moves on the gas cap and is pressed down to seal by the spring. On my car the gasket didn't move, it was stuck. The spring couldn't push it down to seal. Cleaned it up and lubricated the rubber seal, assembled it and it seems to be OK now. Just something else to check if you have a fuel smell.

Jeffu
05-14-2015, 03:31 PM
That's exactly what I found with my car. I could really only smell a hint of gas when the the blower motor was on so I knew it must be from the cap area. All of my fuel system parts are new so it had to be it. Like you I took it apart and r&r'd it and even made an additional gasket out of fuel resistant gasket material. Only helped for a bit. I finally just bit the bullet and ordered a new cap. Should be here by next week.