PDA

View Full Version : For those considering wearing their Delorean Nikes

Michael
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I bought a brand new pair of DMC Nikes from Mike so I would have one pair to wear and one to display. Tonight my wife and I went to dinner with some friends so I thought what a great opp. to wear my shoes that I have been wanting to wear since I got them.

First I have a normal width, normal arch foot. I wear 10.5, they are a little narrow for an athletic shoe, but they did fit me pretty good.

The first thing I noticed when I took my first steps, the top of the toe bends just like any other shoe, however the material used to simulate stainless is unforgiving. It creases, and cuts into the top of your foot...and hurts, and is worse with every step. The arch support is minimal, as well as the cusion in the sole, especially for an "athletic" shoe. I would not want to wear these for more than a few hours. Another thing to consider before wearing, the material will remember bends with the first step, so you will ruin what little "collector" value they have by even stepping once in them. Below are a few pics of after wearing a few hours. Bear in mind, I walked very little tonight, mostly I drove to town and sit in a chair, and drove home.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3487&d=1313201973

Here is a pic to show you how they cut into the top of your foot. Keep in mind I am wearing them at this time, they are not empty, my foot is in there!
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3488&d=1313201989

So in conclusion, these are not an all day shoe, or even a half day shoe, unless you plan on being off your feet. They will be put into the "special car related event that last no more than 2 hours" shoe bin. On the up side, if there is one, they do look pretty slick. Maybe after a few more wearings, they will break in a bit and become more tolerable, but that's going to be a painful teething period.

Ryan
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I wore mine once and immediately put them up on ebay afterwards. The shoe is a pile of garbage. Nike didn't even try on this one.

Nicholas R
08-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Mine are definitely my size; but they're about the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever bought. I'm pretty sure they were not made to be worn, lol. I know mine are a display piece.

awildermode
08-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I am amazed that you had them on for more than ten minutes.

sean
08-13-2011, 08:36 AM
So do you think wearing 2 pair of socks would make them more comfortable? Take the pain out of the material digging in.

Michael
08-13-2011, 08:53 AM
So do you think wearing 2 pair of socks would make them more comfortable? Take the pain out of the material digging in.

That's a thought, I may try that next time.

sean
08-13-2011, 09:04 AM
That's a thought, I may try that next time.

If you do, please report back. I got a couple pair and have been debating on wearing one pair.

Michael
08-13-2011, 10:58 AM
If you do, please report back. I got a couple pair and have been debating on wearing one pair.
just tried it.
Wearing 2 pairs, or one extra thick pair does not help much. In fact it probably makes things worse because the shoe fits so much tighter.

SamHill
08-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Hmm. Even D shoes need modification.

"Guys, I'm putting a new insole in... don't worry, it's reversible..."

sean
08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
just tried it.
Wearing 2 pairs, or one extra thick pair does not help much. In fact it probably makes things worse because the shoe fits so much tighter.

Bleh, thanks anyway for trying. Guess I'll just look at them.

Ryan
08-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Just like the DeLorean. Fun to look at, but that's about it. :deviltail:

Roman Legion
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't really follow.. Did you not buy the shoes to wear? My current shoes have been used extensively since 2009 and are riddled with holes.

sean
08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't really follow.. Did you not buy the shoes to wear? .

Honestly, no. I bought them because they were limited to 1,000 pair, look pretty damn sweet and they were available relatively close to me.

tyb323
08-15-2011, 07:46 AM
They suck to wear. I wear them to car shows and some DeLorean events, but that's about it

Dracula
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm so glad that I didn't buy a pair of these now.

dhaney
08-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Hmm. Even D shoes need modification.

"Guys, I'm putting a new insole in... don't worry, it's reversible..."

We agree on very little politically... But that doesn't mean we can't get along and agree to disgree....

But this comment is funny and had I been drinking... I would be cleaning the spatter off my machine about now!!!

Dan

Roman Legion
08-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Honestly, no. I bought them because they were limited to 1,000 pair, look pretty damn sweet and they were available relatively close to me.

I guess it is just a very foreign concept to me and very hard to grasp; I am in no way attacking you or anyone else but I just really don't understand how someone can spend so much (No exactly sure how much they cost, but heard they were rather expensive) on uncomfortable shoes that are seldom, if ever worn. I have grown up with and still the majority of my clothes are riddled with holes (I feel like Al Bundy at times..lol). It is just an interesting social aspect that I would really like to understand. Did you and others here that purchased these shoes, buy them explicitly as DeLorean memorabilia, or something more?

It's interesting how the only real clothes of mine that are not riddled with holes are my Military Uniforms, but then again I only use them for Drill and AT, soon deployment.. Well, to be fair, the velcro cargo pockets are worn out, as everyone's pockets are on the ACU..lol

Ryan King
08-16-2011, 03:54 AM
Over-Priced & Over-Hyped...just like our cars.
Only difference is the shoes were made by the Chinese and not the Irish

john 05141
08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
And how expensive are they?? 200$!
I now understand why they are all over e-bay.
Glad I never bought any either. :dork:

John

sean
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
I guess it is just a very foreign concept to me and very hard to grasp... I am in no way attacking you or anyone else but I just really don't understand how someone can spend so much ... It is just an interesting social aspect that I would really like to understand.

Welcome to the DeLorean community, if you think buying these shoes is foreign you are in for a BIG surprise the first time you attend a DCS. We are a community of very odd folks with even stranger tastes in what we buy.

Did you and others here that purchased these shoes, buy them explicitly as DeLorean memorabilia, or something more?

That's why I bought them. I can promise you there are many on here that have spent way more on hot wheel DeLoreans than I did on these two pair of shoes. I have no probelm telling what I paid:
My 13's I got at Pac Sun with a discount card and paid $78 including tax
My 11.5's I got via Nike.com for $96 including shipping and tax.

At ANY time I can promise you I will make my money back on these but its more about the cool to look at factor and limited run for me.

DMCH James
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I've got a friend who's worn his daily since he got them and he said that like any other show, once it was truly "broken in", it's been a comfortable shoe to wear. Personally, I don't think Nike made them to be worn, but for collector value. Seems dumb to me, but think of a lot of the "DeLorean trinkets" that most of us have and how many of those are truly used for their intended purpose - not many I'd bet.

James

Dracula
08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
I guess it is just a very foreign concept to me and very hard to grasp; I am in no way attacking you or anyone else but I just really don't understand how someone can spend so much (No exactly sure how much they cost, but heard they were rather expensive) on uncomfortable shoes that are seldom, if ever worn. I have grown up with and still the majority of my clothes are riddled with holes (I feel like Al Bundy at times..lol). It is just an interesting social aspect that I would really like to understand. Did you and others here that purchased these shoes, buy them explicitly as DeLorean memorabilia, or something more?

It's interesting how the only real clothes of mine that are not riddled with holes are my Military Uniforms, but then again I only use them for Drill and AT, soon deployment.. Well, to be fair, the velcro cargo pockets are worn out, as everyone's pockets are on the ACU..lol

Don't worry, I don't get it, either. Granted, I seem to be something of an anomaly in general. Heck, most of my home furnishings are antiques that I actually use for their intended purpose. Granted, I'm fairly odd within the DeLorean community as well, in the regard that I don't collect BTTF-related things; not that I don't have a few, but nothing I deliberately sought out. To me, it seemed foolish to buy a pair of shoes that I had no intent of ever wearing. As a point of contrast, I'll wear anything that I buy no matter how ridiculous it may be and regularly wear a cape throughout the fall because I find them to work excellently for my needs.

And don't even get me started on that odd HotWheels fascination that many have.

sean
08-16-2011, 09:36 AM
As a point of contrast, I'll wear anything that I buy no matter how ridiculous it may be and regularly wear a cape throughout the fall because I find them to work excellently for my needs.

And you own 8 cars.....

Ryan
08-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I'll wear anything that I buy no matter how ridiculous it may be and regularly wear a cape throughout the fall because I find them to work excellently for my needs.

I have to ask. What needs do you have that wearing a cape accomodates? Unless you answer with "i'm a superhero", i don't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbN9TZqFcg

Dracula
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
And you own 8 cars.....

Nine, actually, and a motorcycle. I ran out of signature space. Though, I fail to see how that's relevant.

I have to ask. What needs do you have that wearing a cape accomodates? Unless you answer with "i'm a superhero", i don't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbN9TZqFcg

It's most excellent on a breezy, fall day when one only needs to keep the wind from nipping at their person.

sean
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Nine, actually, and a motorcycle. I ran out of signature space. Though, I fail to see how that's relevant.

Why have the cars/bike if you don't intend to use them regularly. I enjoy looking at these shoes and having them, if that was not their intended purpose then who gives a shit. Your fleet of vehicles have an intended purpose of being driven daily, Im pretty sure you aint doing that. Be critical, but don't be hypocritical. We can nitpick "intended purpose" until we are blue in the face but at the end of the day I really don't care what you do with what you buy, intended purpose or not.

Dracula
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Why have the cars/bike if you don't intend to use them regularly. I enjoy looking at these shoes and having them, if that was not their intended purpose then who gives a shit. Your fleet of vehicles have an intended purpose of being driven daily, Im pretty sure you aint doing that. Be critical, but don't be hypocritical. We can nitpick "intended purpose" until we are blue in the face but at the end of the day I really don't care what you do with what you buy, intended purpose or not.

I should say that, foremost, I don't get the point of making a nonfunctional shoe to begin with. I can understand, to an extent, DeLorean owners collecting the shoes due to the car tie in, but I suppose that's something I'll never fully understand. My lack of a desire to own them stems from not liking the idea of putting a pair of shoes on display or explaining them, so, to me, they're not something I'll ever own.

For my vehicles, I try to exercises every one regularly; restoration projects notwithstanding. That's why I bought them and what makes me happy.

Michael
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I've got a friend who's worn his daily since he got them and he said that like any other show, once it was truly "broken in", it's been a comfortable shoe to wear. Personally, I don't think Nike made them to be worn, but for collector value. Seems dumb to me, but think of a lot of the "DeLorean trinkets" that most of us have and how many of those are truly used for their intended purpose - not many I'd bet.

James

I have worn them now for probably a total of 10-15 hours over the course of the last few days, and they are getting a little more tolerable. Not nearly as painful as the first night out, but not comfortable either. I think once the top portion becomes softer they will be ok, never good, but just ok.

DeLorean03
08-17-2011, 02:00 PM
...and what makes me happy.

And that should be the final answer for everyone in this thread. What makes YOU happy.

When that shoe came out, what disgusted me were the hoarders that either bought 10 pairs or were willing to pay like $200+ for shoes they knew they were never going to wear. It's like "What's the point?"

I remember someone told me they had a pair. I was at a restaurant, and they let me know about it. Told them: "Great. I have the car. That's good enough for me."

Roman Legion
08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I wish I had a picture of my tattered shoes.. They are being replaced with one of my favourite shoes to wear.. Black canvas Converse High tops.. As soon as I can find some money that is. I have always been the odd man out, but that is alright as I prefer doing my own thing and hate being around people for the most part. By this point in time, it should be implied that I am not trying to be an asshole, but I am often reminded of some Don Draper quotes when I think of all these frivolous items. They are just items.. Things.. Then again, maybe it is just me still, but I still cannot grasp the concept of the shoes. Cape certainly is a unique item, I sometimes wear a shemagh but I always wear my sun glasses when I am outside the house.. I wear them indoors.. It feels strange not wearing them when I am out.

The_Reverend
08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
omg thats terrible. Now I'm glad I saw this before I forked out $$$ for a pair.

xjoshsmallx
08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't know where any of you happen to buy these shoes from, but if you did buy them off Ebay or even certain online shoe stores, they could be most likely FAKE.

People make fake Nikes ALL the time to replica the real OG shoe models. They don't hold up at all. I know this because I used to be a hugeee sneaker junkie and Nike Dunks were my shoe of choice. Uneven stitching, different colored stitching, uneven cutting or shoes that don't hold up from the material build are more than likely rip off Nikes. I am one to know that real dunks flatten out quit a bit after worn, so they aren't much of a slim shoe. I have wide feet also, and wear 10's.

Dunks and Air Max 90's are a prime target for fake makes. :nono:

I can't imagine Nike making a crappy holding shoe. They may crease, and I could be wrong, but they should break in quit easily.

Sorry if any of you fell for these scams. Know your product and research it just as you would when buying a DeLorean.

Dangermouse
08-17-2011, 08:17 PM
To address an earlier point. Back when everyone was scrabbling to buy these shoes, no-one had worn a pair to find out of they were comfy or not. In fact several people bought them in a different size to their own feet as that was all that was available.

Disclaimer- I don't own any but I got to touch Sean's. They are a pretty cool item.

xjoshsmallx
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Also, for those who aren't used to the sneaker trade, $200 for a real pair of dunks is quite normal. I've saw certain shoe models go for 1k+. My shoe of choice runs an easy $550.00.

People buy these because it's their passion, a collector aspect.
Just like those people who hoard 4-6 DeLorean's and use them for "Projects" when another is willing to fix it up and drive it like it's ment to be. Doesn't make sense but it happens that way.

Renee_1632
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Did no one catch this? Because without a cape, saying "I VANT TO SUCK YOUR BLOOD!" loses about 50% of its dramatic effect.:hysterical: (Sorry Chad, couldn't resist!)

Mine are definitely my size; but they're about the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever bought.

You've obviously never worn stilettos.

Were these made in women's sizes? Or a man's size 5? I'd honestly like a pair to wear. After walking (ok, stumbling) in one pair of heels around Las Vegas for three hours, leaving my feet bloody, nothing could be that bad.

sean
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't know where any of you happen to buy these shoes from, but if you did buy them off Ebay or even certain online shoe stores, they could be most likely FAKE.

People make fake Nikes ALL the time to replica the real OG shoe models. They don't hold up at all.

Yikes, that stinks. Glad I got mine from where I did.

Michael
08-17-2011, 08:38 PM

People make fake Nikes ALL the time to replica the real OG shoe models. They don't hold up at all. I know this because I used to be a hugeee sneaker junkie and Nike Dunks were my shoe of choice. Uneven stitching, different colored stitching, uneven cutting or shoes that don't hold up from the material build are more than likely rip off Nikes. I am one to know that real dunks flatten out quit a bit after worn, so they aren't much of a slim shoe. I have wide feet also, and wear 10's.

Dunks and Air Max 90's are a prime target for fake makes. :nono:

I can't imagine Nike making a crappy holding shoe. They may crease, and I could be wrong, but they should break in quit easily.

Sorry if any of you fell for these scams. Know your product and research it just as you would when buying a DeLorean.

If I can spot fake watches, fake shoes shouldnt be any problem. The material used on these shoes and the soles themselves would make them very difficult to copy. But just to ease your worry, mine came from a Nike retail store...I got another pair about a week later, from Nike's website.

Chris Burns
08-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I got my pair for free! My fellow Delorean friend Ed gave me an extra pair he had for X-mas. They are cool shoes! I only wear them on special occassions.

sean
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
I got my pair for free! My fellow Delorean friend Ed gave me an extra pair he had for X-mas. They are cool shoes! I only wear them on special occassions.

Thats awesome! How do you think they wear?

Dracula
08-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Did no one catch this? Because without a cape, saying "I VANT TO SUCK YOUR BLOOD!" loses about 50% of its dramatic effect.:hysterical: (Sorry Chad, couldn't resist!)

Were these made in women's sizes? Or a man's size 5? I'd honestly like a pair to wear. After walking (ok, stumbling) in one pair of heels around Las Vegas for three hours, leaving my feet bloody, nothing could be that bad.

Heh. I'm kinda surprised that I didn't think of that one. That's one of the two things that superMatty was always good for; accusing me of being of the living-impaired and bad poetry time.

For the issue of heels in Vegas; the closest I have to that would be a pair of cowboy boots that were my only footwear for the duration of DCS, which I spent on my feet or crawling around a parking garage, as well as the drive there and back. They're great shoes for driving and after I learned that they would deliver drinks to the parking garage, I saw no reason to leave.

Chris Burns
08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Thats awesome! How do you think they wear?

Not bad. Not something I would wear everyday, but I like them for sure!

Roman Legion
08-18-2011, 01:30 AM
My shoe of choice runs an easy $550.00.

Holy crap! Considering I only buy shoes every 2-3 years, or whenever they are rendered entirely unserviceable and my shoe of choice costs approximately $505 less than your shoe of choice, I can see why I am having a great difficulty grasping this.

Hey, I would be willing to give that a shot.. :P

If I can spot fake watches...

xjoshsmallx
08-18-2011, 05:32 AM
What I ment was my shoe of choice I'd "like to buy" from nike. They are the Nike dunk Tiffany's. A bit stylish, but in person those shoes look awesome.

I have never bought them, and most likely never will. I usually dish out 40 bucks on Vans authentics or Nike Air Max 90's for around $95.

For those who like the 90's based style, check out the Air Max 90's infrareds. Beautiful shoe indeed. You cannot go wrong with Air Max 90's very comfortable shoe, I wear mine to work daily, and they've held up for two years walking the streets and my job.

DeBro
08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Most shoes crinkle in the front, that's just how shoes bend.

Unless you're willing to dish out like 300 bucks for an inhuman pair of shoes, get used to it.

Michael
08-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Most shoes crinkle in the front, that's just how shoes bend.

Unless you're willing to dish out like 300 bucks for an inhuman pair of shoes, get used to it.

I know shoes wrinkle in the front....that's not my point. Re-read my original post.

kajcienski
09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Had to post this. I just went by the Adidas store in NYC and saw these in the window. Had to buy them! They do a really super job of matching the "stainless steel" look and are MUCHO more comfortable than the Nike's - not to mention much less expensive. Very cool.

Dracula
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Had to post this. I just went by the Adidas store in NYC and saw these in the window. Had to buy them! They do a really super job of matching the "stainless steel" look and are MUCHO more comfortable than the Nike's - not to mention much less expensive. Very cool.

If I could get a pair of silver laces, I'd wear those with my silver 1980s DeLorean Owner's Association jacket and Ray-Ban Wayfarers.