PDA

View Full Version : My unusual behaviour with my D

SIMid
08-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Yes, strange topic but thought i would share it.

Ive had my D for over a month and im finding it hard to explain. Im not bitter about the car, love her to bits but since having her, i want my friends to know i have a D, but feel weird when they tell everyone they know that i have one? Am i worried that someone who i dont want them to know may pinch her? Or that im want to share her to the public, only when i say so, so that i feel im in control?

For example, was out last night for drinks and my friend bumped into her friend and says "guess what? Simon has a Delorean, do you know what that is?" i felt kinda odd, a little pissed off, but also embarressed. Maybe i want to share her to those i really know, i kinda feel like "here are the keys, help yrself". Maybe i dont want that much attention? Maybe i feel that all the attention should be focused on the car, not me.

Another remark, someone at work im getting to know recently found out i have a Delorean and says "gee, i see you in a different kind of way." WTF? Am i invisible or am i like a person that should wear a gimp mask after work hours?

The Delorean has brought on these emotions i never had before, trying to work out why i feel this way.

Excuse the typo, doing this on my iphoney.

mluder
08-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Iv'e been there. It gets better.

I have owned mine for about 6 months now. At first I was kind of embarrassed to drive it. It wasn't so bad on the road but I would stop at the grocery store and dread getting out because as soon as you open the door you become the center of attention.

After ahile you get more comfortable.

I still feel a little sheepish when friends mention it too... I'm excited but I don't wanna seem braggy. At the same time I try to play it off like it's just annother car when a friend points tell someone else about my car in front of me.

Just wait until stuff starts breaking on you... Then you will develop a love hate relationship... I love my car but she frustrates the hell out of me sometimes.

Nevertheless, I wouldn;t trade it for the world.

Steve

sean
08-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Ive personal found to just let folks find out on their own but not push the issue as you might come off as arrogant. Some folks really see the car as high value luxury item and can get resentful about it. I still remember I was at a party and drove the D to it and got boxed in. I was heading out and let the part host I needed to get out. She tells the lady she was speaking to " Oh he's got the BTTF car, you gotta come see it" the lady she was talking to, without hesitation, whips out "I don't give a shit if it's the damn Chitty-chitty-bang-bang car". I was like "whoa!". I had a good chuckle at it because it was most likely a product of alcohol an her being a redneck but it rang loud with me that some folks just don't want you happiness/fortune thrown in their face.

Michael
08-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't think I have ever seen times like now where the people of this country resent those they perceive to be better off than themselves . Driving a Delorean around for the past few years has really solidified that for me. It's funny, the ones who have the smart, snide remarks are the ones who drive cars that cost more than mine.

Kevin
08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I understand, sometimes I wish only the people who knew were the ones who already know and understand me, otherwise to other people the DeLorean becomes your identity. Instead of your identity being about who you are or what you do, it's about a possession. I hate when people introduce me as "the guy with the DeLorean." Then when you see old acquaintances, instead of "how are you", they say, "how's the DeLorean?"

DeLorean03
08-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I understand, sometimes I wish only the people who knew were the ones who already know and understand me, otherwise to other people the DeLorean becomes your identity. Instead of your identity being about who you are or what you do, it's about a possession. I hate when people introduce me as "the guy with the DeLorean." Then when you see old acquaintances, instead of "how are you", they say, "how's the DeLorean?"

I completely and totally 110% agree with this in every way imaginable.

louielouie2000
08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes, strange topic but thought i would share it.

Ive had my D for over a month and im finding it hard to explain. Im not bitter about the car, love her to bits but since having her, i want my friends to know i have a D, but feel weird when they tell everyone they know that i have one? Am i worried that someone who i dont want them to know may pinch her? Or that im want to share her to the public, only when i say so, so that i feel im in control?

For example, was out last night for drinks and my friend bumped into her friend and says "guess what? Simon has a Delorean, do you know what that is?" i felt kinda odd, a little pissed off, but also embarressed. Maybe i want to share her to those i really know, i kinda feel like "here are the keys, help yrself". Maybe i dont want that much attention? Maybe i feel that all the attention should be focused on the car, not me.

Another remark, someone at work im getting to know recently found out i have a Delorean and says "gee, i see you in a different kind of way." WTF? Am i invisible or am i like a person that should wear a gimp mask after work hours?

The Delorean has brought on these emotions i never had before, trying to work out why i feel this way.

Excuse the typo, doing this on my iphoney.

You'll get used to this. My friends did the same thing to me for YEARS. It's not really a bad thing in the end- the DeLorean, amongst many other facts and attributes, is part of the collective whole that make you, YOU. Even 5 years after I sold my DeLo, I still have people who will only refer to me as "Louie DeLorean." I don't mind it one bit- I have could have been labeled for much worse attributes... :lol:

Ron
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Being an old fart, I could write pages of suggestions, but it would all boil down to one thing:
Don't act different because you have the car, even if others do -- Just be yourself and enjoy your car.
Otherwise, you'll probably wind up hating them, your D, and eventually, yourself.

SIMid
08-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. :) glad to see i wasnt the only one going through this.

I will be me and i didnt buy the D to brag to everyone. But i guess it will be a test to see who are my real friends and who arent. When i bought my new car a few years ago, a close female friend who is competitive in all areas was kinda of pissed off cause my car was better than hers in all areas. But when i told her i bought a D, she went funny on me and unfriended me not long after. She gave other reasons, but i reckon it was status in the end. Im not rich, wealthy or lucky. Just a normal guy who works hard, saves hard to be in my position.

Its a new journey and i will go with the flow. If ppl get to love the car and embrace it, im all for it. It they go weird-ass on me, they have underlying issues and need to deal with it.

Was a good read from yr posts, thanks everyone :)

Notifier
08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I told one guy at work that I bought a Delorean and it spread like a wildfire - I think within two days everyone knew. I did get a couple of comments from people like "how could you afford to buy a $60,000 car!" We are mostly blue collar guys and a $60K car would be way out of anyone's budget. Of course they were probably referring to the DMCH rebuilds, then I have to educate them on how a decent original car costs. But other than that never really got any dirty looks from anyone.

I guess the perception is that these cars are outrageously expensive and that may be half of the flack that gets directed towards someone who owns them. But then again, what other myths revolve around these cars that the general public tends to believe!?!

DeLorean03
08-14-2011, 01:24 PM
But then again, what other myths revolve around these cars that the general public tends to believe!?!

** *Disclaimer* - just ribbing you - not being serious **

are you kidding me ???? Someone's new =p

Notifier
08-14-2011, 04:16 PM
** *Disclaimer* - just ribbing you - not being serious **

are you kidding me ???? Someone's new =p

Yea, I'll admit it, I'm a newbie! :umm: Just got my D a couple of months ago...
I just find it interesting the only comments I have got so far are about how much I paid for the thing. No comment about the doors, coke jokes, or BTTF references! Someone did ask me "Isn't that the car in Back to the Future?" Waited for it but no silly jokes... yet... I guess my time will come!

Dracula
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I guess my time will come!

Go to a car show and sit near your car.

Notifier
08-14-2011, 06:17 PM

...and that's exactly why I will not be going to any car shows with my car.
It's going to be bad enough getting gas!

08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
It's funny, the ones who have the smart, snide remarks are the ones who drive cars that cost more than mine.

Sounds like they are jealous of you, that your car looks some much sharper then theirs for half the price! Good for you!

tyb323
08-15-2011, 10:46 PM
OP, When I see "Unusual Behavior with my D", I read "My D is working perfectly" Not sure what's made me think that way =)

mluder
08-16-2011, 03:58 AM
...and that's exactly why I will not be going to any car shows with my car.
It's going to be bad enough getting gas!

I'm a new owner too (6 months). Just did my first car show and it was awesome. You can read about it here if you want...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?581-Bad-car-show-experiences...&p=13958#post13958

Steve

DMC3165
08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Some things that I like that are outside of the mainstream. I used to be afraid to share these things with people. Mainly because I was unsure of the reaction I'd get. While Delo's are cool cars they're not car guys cars. So back in my early 20's all my car guy friends laughed at it. Growing up and even until today I'm a huge star trek fan. Most everyone laughed at that. But over time I started to realize that the ones that weren't laughing actually respected me for being a nonconformist and some liked my originalality. Those are some of my best friends even until today. So now I just enjoy the things that I like and it dosent really faze me what anyone else thinks.

IMHO anxiety over things like this diminish drastically over time. I figure by the time I'm 80 i'll be some cranky old coot speaking his mind to the point where it just annoys the hell out of everyone.

Farrar
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Look at it this way: when someone finds out that you own a DeLorean, you immediately become a more interesting person. After someone hears "...and he owns a DeLorean," in their minds they're asking the question: "What kind of person owns a DeLorean?" -- probably because you're the first DeLorean owner they've met. Just be low-key about it and whoever it is will come away with a much better impression of "guys who drive sports cars."

Farrar

SIMid
08-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Look at it this way: when someone finds out that you own a DeLorean, you immediately become a more interesting person. After someone hears "...and he owns a DeLorean," in their minds they're asking the question: "What kind of person owns a DeLorean?" -- probably because you're the first DeLorean owner they've met. Just be low-key about it and whoever it is will come away with a much better impression of "guys who drive sports cars."

Farrar

Good point there, including DMC3165

I was speaking to my mechanic while he was doign the D's brake lines and telling him how this has been changing my life around me. He currently drives a 5 year old E-Class and bought his son an old 190E as it was the safest car he knows of for the price range. So now people think he's loaded and showing off because he drives Mercs in the family. He bought them second hand and he knows that they are the safest cars you can buy for the money he had. It shits him how people perceive him with materialistic values. So he hides his mercs in the garage if any new people come to his home and parks the merc away from his work so people don't think he charges the moon for his work. Sad.

The D is kinda that way as well. Just realised why my next door neighbour doesn't acknowledge me, because he thinks I bought a $80K car and possibly comparing himself to me, he may think I'm out of his ballpark in our society. I never looked down or up at people. I am me and who I am does not change the fact I drive a D or whatever else I may own. Society is fickle with some people and it's such a shame.

Life goes on and if they can't acknowledge me for who I am, their loss.

DeLorean03
08-17-2011, 03:57 AM

That's the equivalency of sticking your eye down the end of a 12 gauge to make sure it has a shell in it =P.

One thing I've learned at shows with Casey: tell people about your car BEFORE they have a chance to tell you about your own car. Most won't dare try to tell you about your car when you're already going to town. I've noticed no one tries me now, and yes - I wear a DeLorean or BTTF shirt to let everyone get the impression really quickly that I'm the owner.

It also helps I'm the only one in Pensacola that is known for driving one. Don't mean to come off as arrogant with this statement, but my ownership of the DeLorean is pretty well known, and most people know to think 2x before speaking around me. Like the couple that tried to tell me coke-dealing and money-laundering were the same thing...... -__-

They know they're not the same thing now (:....