PDA

View Full Version : General 2 part paint overspray in engine compartment - suggestions to remove?

acaciolo
05-18-2015, 05:19 PM
I have a little dilemma and I need some advice how to clean up paint overspray from my engine compartment. This is a 2 part spray that is often used when frames are being repaired, so it is very hard to remove. The mechanic who did this told me after that he is new to using 2 part paint, so I guess it got a little out of control for him.

I spent a few hours yesterday with steel wool on the hoses, stainless steel grill covers, engine cover, wires etc. All of that cleaned up pretty well. But I cannot get it off the black fiberglass tub. I've tried a variety of different chemicals (thinner, acetone, turpentine, goof off, etc)...but nothing will take it off. I tried steel wool, but that messes up the finish of the tub. It looks like it is removing the top layer of black paint, so I get shiny and dull spots all over. I tried to clean it off the new coil cover (as shown below) and it really messed up the painted finish on that. I could probably repaint the coil cover, but I am at a loss as to what to do with the fiberglass tub. I spent a bunch of time cleaning up the engine compartment over the past year, so I hate to see it all covered in paint like this!

I don't want to go through the hassle of repainting the tub with sem black (I just don't have the patience to remove everything to do a good job), so I am wondering if anyone here has tried anything to clean up the finish on the fiberglas. Polishing compound? black again? blending pad ? Any ideas? I know when I try to take this paint off it is going to leave an uneven mess.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34541&stc=1
thanks!

tony c

David T
05-18-2015, 06:19 PM
I have a little dilemma and I need some advice how to clean up paint overspray from my engine compartment. This is a 2 part spray that is often used when frames are being repaired, so it is very hard to remove. The mechanic who did this told me after that he is new to using 2 part paint, so I guess it got a little out of control for him.

I spent a few hours yesterday with steel wool on the hoses, stainless steel grill covers, engine cover, wires etc. All of that cleaned up pretty well. But I cannot get it off the black fiberglass tub. I've tried a variety of different chemicals (thinner, acetone, turpentine, goof off, etc)...but nothing will take it off. I tried steel wool, but that messes up the finish of the tub. It looks like it is removing the top layer of black paint, so I get shiny and dull spots all over. I tried to clean it off the new coil cover (as shown below) and it really messed up the painted finish on that. I could probably repaint the coil cover, but I am at a loss as to what to do with the fiberglass tub. I spent a bunch of time cleaning up the engine compartment over the past year, so I hate to see it all covered in paint like this!

I don't want to go through the hassle of repainting the tub with sem black (I just don't have the patience to remove everything to do a good job), so I am wondering if anyone here has tried anything to clean up the finish on the fiberglas. Polishing compound? black again? blending pad ? Any ideas? I know when I try to take this paint off it is going to leave an uneven mess.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34541&stc=1
thanks!

tony c

It may not work but I have had success with a clay bar removing overspray after having body work done. Check with Griot's garage (griotsgarage.com) or a local auto store for a clay bar and some liquid to use with it.

acaciolo
05-18-2015, 07:17 PM
I actually had a maguires clay bar that I just tried. It didn't touch this tough paint. I think I've accepted the fact that I am going to have to use something abrasive over everything to get all the paint off. 0000 steel wool seems to work, but it kills the paint finish on the tub. And it doesn't do it consistently. So I am getting dull and shiny spots. I need to figure out a way to make the fiberglass look good without fully repainting it. Or, I just bite the bullet and accept the fact that to correct this screw up, I am going to have to paint the tub.

David T
05-18-2015, 09:29 PM
I actually had a maguires clay bar that I just tried. It didn't touch this tough paint. I think I've accepted the fact that I am going to have to use something abrasive over everything to get all the paint off. 0000 steel wool seems to work, but it kills the paint finish on the tub. And it doesn't do it consistently. So I am getting dull and shiny spots. I need to figure out a way to make the fiberglass look good without fully repainting it. Or, I just bite the bullet and accept the fact that to correct this screw up, I am going to have to paint the tub.

If the clay bar won't work you can try using solvents. Start out with Alcohol and work your way to to Acetone, Toluene, and MEK with a scotch-brite pad. Try an inconspicuous area.

acaciolo
05-19-2015, 07:01 AM
I haven't tried toluene yet. other solvent had no effect on this 2 part paint. I'll try those today. But so far, any abrasive has taken the overspray off but also kills the black finish on the tub.

acaciolo
05-19-2015, 10:19 AM
No go on toluene. I am trying to get the mechanic to let me know what paint he used so I can contact the manufacturer to see what solvent will work, but he has gone incommunicado. It looks like the only solution is good ole' fashioned elbow grease. One of my employees worked on it yesterday and got all the remaining paint off the hoses, wires, engine cover, headers, etc. So it looks like I am going to use an abrasive and then break out the Sem Trim black. I already spoke to someone who can get it all painted for me (and done right) for about 7 hours labor. I know if I tried to do it myself it would look like a 2nd grader's art project! It looks like that is the path.

thanks for all the suggestions.

tony

Mark D
05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
A couple other things you may want to try:

Mr. Clean magic erasers...It's basically a sponge infused with a cleaning agent that is very mildly abrasive. I'm not sure what the actual chemical is in the sponge, but the dense sponge itself may be good for buffing away the overspray without damaging the black paint below

Automotive buffing/rubbing compound. You may be able to use this to cut through the overspray into the black paint on the body tub without completely burning through the black paint into the glossy gelcoat below.

Automotive cleaner wax. (IE Meguires cleaner wax) Same as above but less abrasive.

acaciolo
05-20-2015, 03:26 PM
I forgot about magic erasers. I use them all over my house, and they really are magic! good suggestion. I am going to give that a try.

I am pretty sure I've accepted the fact that the only way to make this look good again is to bite the bullet and repaint it. I've got a very skilled friend who knows paint, Deloreans, and cars way better than me, so I think I am bribing him to fly out and help me for a day or 2.

tony